The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I know that it is a violation for players to dunk the ball or grab the rim during pre-game warm-ups, halftime, and between quarters. I had to access a JV team with a 'T' for that a few weeks ago.

Last night, the Varsity squad of this same school was playing. I was in the stands as a spectator. The team was out on the floor warming up. There was 25 minutes on the clock. The players who could, were all dunking the ball. The JV coach saw me and asked me why they can do it here but his team couldn't. The only answer I could give him was that the officials had not come out yet.

My question is...The officials come out at the 15:00 minute mark. Obviously the players know this. If the officials decided to come out early or came out to use the restroom or something and were off the court and saw a player dunk, would it be a violation. Do the officials have to be in their place on the court in order to have a violation?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Although not by the book, until I come on the court to stay, I haven't come on the court.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RX Ref
need to be on the court at LEAST 15 minutes, if your on before 15, give the T
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

2-2-2 The officials' jurisdiction, prior to the game, begins when they arrive on the floor. The official's arrival on the floor shall be at least 15 minutes before the scheduled starting time of the game.

If I come out and see it, I am going to penalize it. For one thing, Rev, if this was in Regional or sub-state in our state, the teams are not supposed to be out on the floor until 20 minutes before the game begins. IMO, the officials should have been out there too. Otherwise it is the game management's job to keep it from happening.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

This was a sub-state game. I arrived about 30 min early. Both teams were out warming up. The officials came out at the 15:00 min mark. Of course, the dunking stopped when the official took their spot on the floor.

Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Rev:

This is a basketball forum. I find your proselytizing offensive. Do your preaching elsewhere.

Bob
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 06:57pm
9 times

IMO, this is one of the worst rules on the books. The kids dunk before we get out. Everyone knows this and we don't care, but when the officials step on the court, by dang, they had better stop. Why? Penalize them if the break a piece of equipment. Otherwise, why not let the fans see what they want to see?

To answer Rev Ref63's question, I would not penalize them until I was on the floor (officially). Last night I worked a state 4A playoff game and stood at the door to the court and watched both teams throw down some very spectacular dunks. Crowd loved it. I even heard some boos when they had to stop. No way I would have penalized them. Game management was all over the place and they didn't care either.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Rev:

This is a basketball forum. I find your proselytizing offensive. Do your preaching elsewhere.

Bob
Wow bluezebra. Lighten up the guy is a Rev.

You actually find his signature offensive? You either agree or dissagree with his statement, but unless you have some serious unresolved issues it can hardly be concidered to be offensive.

You brought it up.
Mike
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rev:

Bob
You're right Bob. This is a forum. A public forum. Unless they've repealed The 1st Amendment to the US Consititution, he certainly has the right to express himself on this or any other public forum. If you find it offensive, don't read it.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rev:

Bob
Zebra,
I find your criticism of rev's signature line offensive. Why no criticism when people write Peace or Whack em or any of the many other signature lines that people have? If you don't like what his signature line is saying then ignore it. Don't slam the man for what he believes.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 08:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Rev:

Bob
You're right Bob. This is a forum. A public forum. Unless they've repealed The 1st Amendment to the US Consititution, he certainly has the right to express himself on this or any other public forum. If you find it offensive, don't read it.
And you're wrong BktBalRef. This is not a public forum. This is a private forum owned by a company. We are able to post at the pleasure of the owners. The 1st amendment doesn't apply here.

Personally, I find his signature offensive also. However, since it is allowed here and I want to participate also, I tolerate it. That's my choice. I'm sure there are people who don't like my signature (which, of course, would make them wrong ), but if Brad allows it and they want to read my posts, then they have to put up with it. Frankly, if I owned this service, I wouldn't allow religious proselytizing of any kind.

When it gets to the point where I don't enjoy participating here any longer for whatever reason, I'll stop - which is why I no longer post on that "other" board.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Frankly - who cares?

I have disagreed with many things said on this forum, and been offended by a few. I don't believe in God - some people do, that's their perogative.

If RevRef hounds me, abuses me, threatens me or otherwise attacks me - I'll be offended, upset and I'll complain to the administrators. However if he wants to express an opinion I believe he is entitled to - whether that opinion be that God is great, Elvis is actually alive or there should be no possession on a technical foul is irrelevant.

So long as the majority of RevRef's comments are based (at least loosely) on basketball, what's the problem with him expressing an opinion in his signature (as most of us do)?

Lighten up people.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

proselytize (pròs´e-lî-tìz´) verb
proselytized, proselytizing, proselytizes verb, intransitive
1.To induce someone to convert to one's own religious faith.
2.To induce someone to join one's own political party or to espouse one's doctrine.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. That certainly was not my motive. I have simply expressed an opinion. If you will look at the definition of what I have been accused of, you will see that the accusations are unfounded.

I hate to think that our society has sunk to such depths that the name of Jesus is offensive to anyone.

I apologize for having to post this non-basketball related reply. I think if you read my other posts, you will find that I keep my personal beliefs pretty much to myself. Why should I preach here on this forum? I preach three times a week to a live congregation. They allow me to take up an offering?

If anyone would like to discuss this with me, please e-mail me personally. This forum is not the place.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 10:30pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
IMO, this is one of the worst rules on the books. The kids dunk before we get out. Everyone knows this and we don't care, but when the officials step on the court, by dang, they had better stop. Why? Penalize them if the break a piece of equipment. Otherwise, why not let the fans see what they want to see?

To answer Rev Ref63's question, I would not penalize them until I was on the floor (officially). Last night I worked a state 4A playoff game and stood at the door to the court and watched both teams throw down some very spectacular dunks. Crowd loved it. I even heard some boos when they had to stop. No way I would have penalized them. Game management was all over the place and they didn't care either.

If you were at the door all suited up to go onto the court, guess what, you had taken jurisdiction. You should have charged a technical foul to every player that you saw dunk the ball. Dunking the ball during a dead ball is a safety issue. I think that you blew this one. And I would not care what game management thought. You saw it and did not penalize it.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 27, 2002, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

And you're wrong BktBalRef. This is not a public forum. This is a private forum owned by a company. We are able to post at the pleasure of the owners. The 1st amendment doesn't apply here.
No, I'm not wrong. I never said that this forum was publicly owned. It is a public forum in that anyone is welcome to post, there is no fee to post, and anyone is free to read. I don't believe RevRef has violated any of the forum rules. It is certainly not within BlueZebra's authority to tell him what he can and can't post. If he has a problem with a forum, he should contact a moderator, per the owner's policy.
Closed Thread