The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shot clock-- Womans game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4235-shot-clock-womans-game.html)

BOBBYMO Wed Feb 27, 2002 01:06pm

Last night I was watching a Div-1 womens game and saw something that I have never seen before. The point gaurd shot an airball and the rebound hit a girl right on top of the head. The ball bounced straight up and hit the rim. Is this a reset?? The clock did not reset on this play but it also did not affect the outcome of the play as the same team got the rebound and put it in just before the horn went off. I am looking for oppinions and an exact ruleing if I could get one.

Danvrapp Wed Feb 27, 2002 01:16pm

I'm not a college official, so you may want to take this with a grain of salt, but....

In NFHS, a try is defined as the "contacting of the ball with any part of a player's <b>hand's</b> in an attempt to direct the ball into his/her basket."

That being said, I'd say a "tap" off a player's head doesn't qualify for a "try," and therefore shouldn't reset the shot clock.

However, I don't work with shot clocks yet, so I don't know the proper procedures for resetting the darn thing, but I would think my reasoning might be right.

Who knows :confused:

Lotto Wed Feb 27, 2002 01:47pm

No try or tap, so no reset

The initial try ends when the ball hits the other player on the head (at that point, it is certain the throw is unsuccessful). The bounce on the head is not a try or tap (a try involves throwing or tapping the ball towards the basket, a tap is defined to be with hand or fingers). So none of the conditions for resetting the shot clock are met. Conclusion: no reset.

Mark Dexter Sat Mar 02, 2002 06:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Danvrapp
However, I don't work with shot clocks yet, so I don't know the proper procedures for resetting the darn thing, but I would think my reasoning might be right.

You press the button that says "Reset." :D

BOBBYMO Sun Mar 03, 2002 05:51pm

Mark.. Do you have any proof of this?? I am starting to agree that it is not a reset....Thanks

bob jenkins Sun Mar 03, 2002 06:22pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BOBBYMO
Mark.. Do you have any proof of this?? I am starting to agree that it is not a reset....Thanks
Mark was responding to the literal statement, "I don't know the proper procedures for resetting the darn thing."

He wasn't addressing whether those procedures should be followed in the play being discussed.

rcwilco Sun Mar 03, 2002 06:28pm

Press the button

So they are pushing a button!!!! I always wondered what they were doing while I was running up and down the floor blowing my whistle.

Mark Dexter Sun Mar 03, 2002 07:09pm

Quote:

NCAA 2-13-6d:
The shot-clock operator shall stop the timing device and reset it when a try for goal strikes the ring or flange.

BOBBYMO Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:14am

I agree with the rule that you gave me...... But are you considering this a TRY FOR GOAL????

Mark Dexter Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:16am

Quote:

I agree with the rule that you gave me...... But are you considering this a TRY FOR GOAL????
No - there should be no reset in this situation.

Sorry I wasn't clearer earlier.

BOBBYMO Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:23am

Thanks Mark