The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Re: NCAA-M Excess Timeout (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42337-re-ncaa-m-excess-timeout.html)

tjones1 Fri Feb 29, 2008 04:25pm

Re: NCAA-M Excess Timeout

In the Notre Dame/Louisville game last night there was an excessive timeout.

ND requested an excess timeout, it was granted. Since it was a dead ball they are charged with a team technical foul. Since, it's a dead ball technical go POI which would be a throw-in to ND nearest to the spot where the ball was when the timeout was granted?

Right? Wrong? Reasoning incorrect?

Raymond Fri Feb 29, 2008 04:27pm

Dead-ball/live-ball has nothing to do with it.

It's a Team Technical and you go to POI after 2 free throws.

tjones1 Fri Feb 29, 2008 04:28pm

Ok, thanks!

Kelvin green Fri Feb 29, 2008 09:31pm

One of these days NCAA men is going to get burned on the POI for this call

Calling a timeout to get the clock stopped and giving the other team shots, to get the ball in a place you need to setup a play..

Happened in the NBA, that's why a T for excessive TO also turns ball over to the other team now...

I guess they could learn from the past of the NBA and will learn the hard way... for what its worth the NCAA women, NFHS, and NBA have it right on this rule

Scrapper1 Sat Mar 01, 2008 07:27pm

Vanderbilt requested an excessive TO in their game today with Arkansas. I was listening to it on the radio and the announcer said, "We haven't seen this since a Michigan game in the NCAA tournament!!!" :rolleyes:

Blue37 Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Vanderbilt requested an excessive TO in their game today with Arkansas. I was listening to it on the radio and the announcer said, "We haven't seen this since a Michigan game in the NCAA tournament!!!" :rolleyes:

I saw a story on the game where the Vanderbilt coach said that, since the clock was stopped when the timeout was requested and they were out of timeouts, the official should have told the player they were out of timeouts and denied the request. Does the official have that discretion?

Adam Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue37
I saw a story on the game where the Vanderbilt coach said that, since the clock was stopped when the timeout was requested and they were out of timeouts, the official should have told the player they were out of timeouts and denied the request. Does the official have that discretion?

No.

Raymond Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue37

I wonder if anywhere in the story if someone asked Coach Stallings why his player was requesting a T-O in the first place and what Coach Stallings was going to do prevent this from happening in the future.