The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Poll: Tim Donaghy scandal and you (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42329-poll-tim-donaghy-scandal-you.html)

Dan_ref Fri Feb 29, 2008 01:02pm

Poll: Tim Donaghy scandal and you

The other night some bozo in the stands loudly asked how much I bet on the game after I made what I thought was a damned good call. Then I realized this was the first time all year - scrimmages, pre-season tournaments, league and non-league play, post season play - that I heard this comment. So the poll question is have you gotten heckled by fans, players, coaches, anyone about the Tim Donaghy scandal?

Adam Fri Feb 29, 2008 01:08pm

Didn't he have a talk show?

JRutledge Fri Feb 29, 2008 01:18pm

I am surprised, but not a word.

Peace

SonikBoom Fri Feb 29, 2008 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
The other night some bozo in the stands loudly asked how much I bet on the game after I made what I thought was a damned good call.

And did you say, "$100, but your guys are really letting me down!"

jdw3018 Fri Feb 29, 2008 01:28pm

I fully anticipated and expected to hear it a lot.

Instead, I find myself shocked I've not heard one comment all year.

Scrapper1 Fri Feb 29, 2008 01:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
I fully anticipated and expected to hear it a lot.

Instead, I find myself shocked I've not heard one comment all year.

Same for me.

rgncjn Fri Feb 29, 2008 01:48pm

One comment about the scandal. Team A is winning by 20ish, and I called two fouls on Team B in the last minute (they were semi-still attempting to foul). The fouls had to be called, too much contact for it to slip. As I am near the bleachers, a fan of Team B says, "You are just like that NBA official. The game is already over, you are just manipulating the point spread. You guys really are all the same."

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Feb 29, 2008 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgncjn
One comment about the scandal. Team A is winning by 20ish, and I called two fouls on Team B in the last minute (they were semi-still attempting to foul). The fouls had to be called, too much contact for it to slip. As I am near the bleachers, a fan of Team B says, "You are just like that NBA official. The game is already over, you are just manipulating the point spread. You guys really are all the same."

Who was Team A and who was Team B? Inquiring minds :D want to know.

MTD, Sr.

grunewar Fri Feb 29, 2008 02:58pm

I too expected to hear it....and never did.

I think it might have been "out of sight, out of mind." Meaning, if the controversy happened in the middle of the season, as opposed to during the off-season, it would have been fresh on people's minds and in the papers and we might have heard it more. Thoughts?

Raymond Fri Feb 29, 2008 03:19pm

None at games, but a few at my sports bar. Which is ironic, because the folks in my sports bar would be shocked to learn there is an NBA ref who lives 10 minutes away from the bar.

M&M Guy Fri Feb 29, 2008 04:22pm

Now that you mention it - not once for me either.