The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 12:51pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Could have been one of my toughest games ever - but it wasn't

Last night - final regular season game for two of the top 8th grade boys teams in the metro area competitive league. Winner gets top seed in the playoffs which start this weekend. Doesn't sound too rough so far, but my partner doesn't show up. I call both the assignor and his assistant but just get voice mail. So I work the game alone.

I really couldn't believe how smooth it went. Neither team anywhere near the bonus at any time. Both teams playing clean and setting up their offenses, so my running was kept at a minimum. Hardly a peep out of either coach. One asked about a travel when a kid on the floor who was on his back sat up. I explained it was not a travel and he said, "OK, thanks".

Home team won by 12 and after the game, both coaches told me they are going to call the assignor and tell him what a good job I did and ask for me to be assigned to as many of their playoff games as possible. I hope not by myself, though.

The only thing that threw me off was an inadvertent whistle in Q3. A1 had the ball. A2 was standing with one foot on the sideline right in front of me. A1 passed him the ball and he took his foot off the line a split second before catching it. I blew the whistle. I'm sure I could have "gotten away with" calling an OOB violation, but I did the right thing. I called an inadvertent whistle and explained it to both coaches. They were fine with it. In fact, one of them said "I guess you're human after all."

I didn't post this just to show off, but to just remind all of us that working a game alone isn't always a disaster. And, oh yeah, I worked mostly FT line to FT line which I highly recommend is this situation.

BTW - this league pays only an extra $5 when you work a game alone. That really sucks.

Last edited by Mark Padgett; Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 12:53pm.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
I didn't post this just to show off...

BTW - this league pays only an extra $5 when you work a game alone. That really sucks.
The light hasn't gone on yet has it...

On a serious note...WHY do leagues do that...you budgeted for 2 officials, PAY for 2...even if it's just me!
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I called an inadvertent whistle and explained it to both coaches.
I hope you told them you had a good a talk with your partner to straighten him out.
Quote:
They were fine with it. In fact, one of them said "I guess you're human after all."
I've actually seen your picture Mark.... human is a bit of a stretch...
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 03:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
On a serious note...WHY do leagues do that...you budgeted for 2 officials, PAY for 2...even if it's just me!
The other rec leagues around here, including my local kids league, pay 1 1/2 times normal rate if you work alone. That seems very fair to me, because you do about 1 1/2 times the work you would do if you had a partner - depending on who the partner was supposed to be.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 05:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I've actually seen your picture Mark.... human is a bit of a stretch...
HEY!!! Watch it, bud.

Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 05:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
The light hasn't gone on yet has it...

From a team/league perspective, I can see not paying double. I pay for 2 officials, I don't want to pay double for one. It's not what I paid for.
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
From a team/league perspective, I can see not paying double. I pay for 2 officials, I don't want to pay double for one. It's not what I paid for.
I know, but the ones that don't want to pay even the additional $5 Mark got...those are the onese that leave me scratching my head. At least cough up 1/2 the other guys game fee. It's extra work for the one guy who showed...
Old Fri Feb 29, 2008, 09:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

150% Fee ???

We also use the 1 1/2 game fee rule for games that are worked alone. I'm sure that one reason is to compensate the single official for the "extra work", but I believe that another reason, and possibly the main reason, is to discourage AAU, recreation, CYO, travel programs etc., from requesting only one official to save money. These programs probably figure that it's better to get two officials, doing a real good job for 200% of a game fee, than a single official doing a more difficult job, perhaps not the best job, for 150% of a game fee.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only thing that threw me off was an inadvertent whistle in Q3.
Only problem is that you can't blame this one on your partner!
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

PA rule

In PA although most schools will give you both game checks if you work alone they are not mandated to. I guess a couple of years ago two officials took a whole bunch of lower level games. THey would double book themselves as they were always working together. One would go to one school and the other to the other site. THey would then take both checks. THanks to Athletic Directors meeting this was discovered. Unbelievable what people will do for money
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 11:18am
Esteemed Forum Member

One Word For This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF
In PA although most schools will give you both game checks if you work alone they are not mandated to. I guess a couple of years ago two officials took a whole bunch of lower level games. THey would double book themselves as they were always working together. One would go to one school and the other to the other site. THey would then take both checks. THanks to Athletic Directors meeting this was discovered. Unbelievable what people will do for money
One word. Fraud. It gives a black eye to officials, that in some areas, may need some good public relations, not some bad public relations.