The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Laughs from the work...

I filled in for 1 game for a ref buddy in an Adult Phillipino league at our local hoops facility...Must be a Phillipino to play...

This is not your typical Adult Rec league...The guys are all pretty cool, laid back and actually seem to enjoy their games, pleasant to the refs and each other like a group of guys from the office who are trying to get some cardio in and work up a sweat. It's not your typical adult league filled with ex-HS players who went to CRAPU and rode the bench and now has something to proove....

In short, these guys are not taking it really serious and there is a lot of dialogue between the players and refs becuase the same group of refs work this league each week...I've been up there during some of the games, so I am not unfamiliar with it having seen them and talking with my fellow refs about the league but this was my first time officiating their games...As adult WRECK leagues go...this is one I would actually consider working again....

Anyway, I was lead and a guy drove the lane, I obviously missed the contact due to having an obstructed view from one of the players...I guess the shooter got hit on the shoulder opposite side of me...I honestly didn't see it and had no whistle...

So at the next dead ball about 20 seconds later (timeout), guy on the bench (player/coach/manager) whatever he is (he wasn't playing in the game)...he says to me with a big smile..."Hey ref, did you not see that foul?"
I said "What foul"...
He said "On that last shot...he got hit in the shoulder?"
I said "Man, I didn't...I got screened out...sorry about that".
He sais..."Well didn't you hear it? I know you don't normally ref for us...in this league if we hear a foul we call it?"

We are both laughing about this at this point...

I put my arm around him and said to him "Well, most refs are known to have bad eyesight, I'm a little hard of hearing and that might be my problem tonight"....He cracked up and we slapped hands....had absolutely no problems from anyone on either team...even when I could tell they didn't like the calls...They just kept playing...
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 03:52pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
...Must be a Phillipino to play...
Is there some kind of DNA screening process for this?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 04:03pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
It sure is! I heard about this league a few years ago, anyone can attempt to get in but no refunds will be given in the event that bloodlines are mixed. They also require applicants to go on the Maury Show to get their results read.

"You are... NOT a Filipino"
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Funny you ask...a couple weeks ago I was waiting for my 15 year old son to get done working (he works the concession stand)...I was watching one of the games and the game stopped for a minute as one team was complaining to the ref that a dude that had entered the game on the other team was not Phillipino....Ref told him to play and they could protest the game to the league!

I'm not sure what the process is but all the players from the various teams seem to know each other and have a good rapport with each other...Like I said, it's not your typical adult rec league, that's for sure....Perhaps the Phillipino community in Indy is a tight community and they just all know each other?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 04:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Filipino people are typically shorter than the average human being.

It'd be opening a huge can of works to allow people over 5'8" to start playing. The balance of the league would fall to pieces. :8
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Filipino people are typically shorter than the average human being.

It'd be opening a huge can of works to allow people over 5'8" to start playing. The balance of the league would fall to pieces. :8
Well they better check some DNA then...there's a couple dudes about 6'-3" with some serious jumping ability... . And not to stereotype, but there are a few of the aforementioned as well...
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 04:21pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Well they better check some DNA then...there's a couple dudes about 6'-3" with some serious jumping ability... . And not to stereotype, but there are a few of the aforementioned as well...
There is a Filipino in my guard unit; first generation immigrant (his parents still live there.) He is easily 6'2".
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 04:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
It'd be opening a huge can of works
What kind of work do worms do?
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
What kind of work do worms do?
Fishcalling, mostly.
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 07:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Fishcalling, mostly.
Is that where a worm says "Here, fish, here fish"?

You know, like a moose call....."here moose, here moose".
Old Wed Feb 27, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

That be the one
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

I used to play pick-up ball in Silverlake, CA, with a group of Filipinos. Great guys, lots of fun on a Sunday afternoon.
One day a group of asians were playing on another court. We were short some of our regulars so I suggested we ask them to come over.
"Oh no," was the response. "Those guys are Cambodian. They're crazy!"
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:44am
9 times

Quote:
I filled in for 1 game for a ref buddy in an Adult Phillipino league at our local hoops facility...Must be a Phillipino to play...
Do they play in flip flops? I was in the Philippines about 3 years ago on vacation and saw several pick up games going on (apparently they love basketball in the Philippeans) and everyone was wearing flip flops. They played just like anyone would play with high tops. It was crazy to watch.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019

Last edited by stripes; Thu Feb 28, 2008 at 01:50pm.
Old Thu Feb 28, 2008, 10:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes
... (apparently they love basketball in the Philippeans(sp.)) ...
Yes they do...I made a few trips to the Phillipines when I was stationed in Okinawa back in the mid 80's.