The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Re-opening of Sonik discussion... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42259-re-opening-sonik-discussion.html)

TussAgee11 Tue Feb 26, 2008 03:14pm

Re-opening of Sonik discussion...

Went back and read the old threads...

Being several months into the season by now, curious to know what the then Sonik users think now...

I thought it was awesome at first but then there were certain aspects I don't like. 1) Every whistle should have a top and a bottom... 2) Since I use my tounge to cover the mouthpiece when not blowing (old saxophone habit), the little piece that runs in the middle of the mouthpiece bothers me 3) It seems to require more air then the 40...

What are others opinion, now being well into the season?

BktBallRef Tue Feb 26, 2008 03:35pm

What's a tounge? :p

crazy voyager Tue Feb 26, 2008 03:57pm

oh somebody else then I do that, I'm a clarinetist but I do it anyway (I do play some sax to though:P)

SonikBoom Tue Feb 26, 2008 04:00pm

I just like the fact that my whistle sounds different from others'. When/If everyone has a Sonik, I might switch "back".

mu4scott Tue Feb 26, 2008 04:02pm

I went and bought one a couple of hours ago to try out tonight. I’ll let you know in the a.m..

NCAAREF Tue Feb 26, 2008 05:04pm

Stir the Pot

Quote:

SonikBoom I just like the fact that my whistle sounds different from others'. When/If everyone has a Sonik, I might switch "back".
What's wrong with that statement?

tjones1 Tue Feb 26, 2008 05:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonikBoom
I just like the fact that my whistle sounds different from others'. When/If everyone has a Sonik, I might switch "back".

Ok?

NCAAREF Wed Feb 27, 2008 09:01am

Stir the Pot

Since when do we want to be different then our partner(s)? The idea of us being a team on the floor means exactly that. Why would you want to stand out or be different then your partners and draw attention to yourself? In our area, upsate NY, we emphasize that the officials should appear as unison as possible. Now before someone takes me to task about shoes, belted or non belted pants, etc. we ask that officials wear the same style shirts, side panel insert or not, matching jackets and above all the same whistles which are the Fox 40. Just my two cents.

mu4scott Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:14am

My "try it before you buy it" review on the Sonik whistle.

Pros:It was inexpensive to purchase.

Cons:
  • I don't care for the fact it's never upside down when you put it in your mouth. It seems gimmicky to me.
  • The sound seemed muzzled and not crisp.
  • I had to really blow hard to get the proper decibel level. I had to force myself to really lay into it.
  • Compared to the Dolfin it seemed really big in my mouth. (Save the comments)

Four minutes into my game we had a timeout and I changed back to my old whistle.

I give it a thumbs down and would not recommend it.

tjones1 Wed Feb 27, 2008 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mu4scott
My "try it before you buy it" review on the Sonik whistle.

Pros:It was inexpensive to purchase.

8/9 bucks seems a little expensive to me. ;)

Adam Wed Feb 27, 2008 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCAAREF
Now before someone takes me to task about shoes, belted or non belted pants, etc. we ask that officials wear the same style shirts, side panel insert or not, matching jackets and above all the same whistles which are the Fox 40. Just my two cents.

"Above all?" You'd give having the same whistle a higher priority than having the same style shirt?

BillyMac Wed Feb 27, 2008 08:41pm

Team ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCAAREF
Since when do we want to be different than our partner? The idea of us being a team on the floor means exactly that. Why would you want to stand out or be different then your partners and draw attention to yourself? In our area, upstate NY, we emphasize that the officials should appear as unison as possible. Now before someone takes me to task about shoes, belted or non belted pants, etc. we ask that officials wear the same style shirts, side panel insert or not, matching jackets and above all ,the same whistles which are the Fox 40.

When our local board first started wearing jackets, about twenty years ago, some of us got them right away, some waited. The rule was that both officials had to be the same, i.e., both with jackets, or both without jackets.

Same thing when the Fox 40 "pealess" whistle first came into use. The rule was that both officials had to be the same, i.e., both with Fox 40's, or both with the old "pea" Acme Thunderer, or the Trumpeter.