The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   clock-10 second rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42146-clock-10-second-rule.html)

lpbreeze Sat Feb 23, 2008 02:15am

clock-10 second rule

in this nba game I saw today the ball was ruled after a made basket. The shot clock and the game clock didn't start until the ball was touched. Is that the same in high school and college too. I didn't see the ref counting but the 8(nba) second or 10 second backcourt rule would start once the ball is inbounded even if it isn't touched?

just another ref Sat Feb 23, 2008 02:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpbreeze
in this nba game I saw today the ball was ruled after a made basket. The shot clock and the game clock didn't start until the ball was touched. Is that the same in high school and college too. I didn't see the ref counting but the 8(nba) second or 10 second backcourt rule would start once the ball is inbounded even if it isn't touched?

Ball was ruled what?

lpbreeze Sat Feb 23, 2008 02:21am

rolled. I just saw the movie Gone Baby Gone so I'm not too clear headed. Fairly good movie by the way.

JugglingReferee Sat Feb 23, 2008 02:23am

Quote:

rolled. I just saw the movie Gone Baby Gone so I'm not too clear headed. Fairly good movie by the way.

Get into some sauce tonight?

NM_Ref Sat Feb 23, 2008 02:25am

clock stops after all made baskets in nba...

lpbreeze Sat Feb 23, 2008 02:32am

no but there were quite a few people in the movie who were drunk or on drugs. never been to Boston...
in the same situation does the shot clock or backcourt count start in college or high school.

crazy voyager Sat Feb 23, 2008 04:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NM_Ref
clock stops after all made baskets in nba...

In the last minute during qts 1,2,3 and two last minutes in last qtr...

TimTaylor Sat Feb 23, 2008 05:08am

Quote:

In NBA the clock stops on a made basket in circumstances others have described & starts when the inbounded ball is touched - not sure about the 8 second count..... in NFHS the 10 second count doesn't start until there is team control, don't know if NBA is the same.......

bob jenkins Sat Feb 23, 2008 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimTaylor
In NBA the clock stops on a made basket in circumstances others have described & starts when the inbounded ball is touched - not sure about the 8 second count..... in NFHS the 10 second count doesn't start until there is team control, don't know if NBA is the same.......

In college, the game clock stops after made baskets in teh last minute of the game. The shot-clock starts when teh ball is touched after every made basket.

Kelvin green Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:50pm

as mentioned clocks start when ball is touched...

NBA uses shot clock to determine the eight second violation.

If shot clock hits 16 and ball does not hit FC (under NBA rules which are slightly different because ball can be in mid air across the line) it is a violation.

This is a hard count and does not reset like NFHS..So if there is a clock stoppage, the count does not restart and still use the shot clock