The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
I'm doing a 7th grade girls traveling team game last night. The Varsity coach for the local boys team is the assistant coach. This is my first game of 2. After the game the coach comes up and intruduces himself.

"I'm **insert name here** the varsity coach. I just wanted to tell you that you missed alot of calls out there, and I could make some phone calls to **insert upper level IHSA official here** but i'm going to give you a break."

Why...... do these coaches feel soooo entitled to berait officials who are not varsity refs, and furthermore... Why is it not MANDITORY to have an officials room for ALL levels??
The response that worked best for me, interupt with "I'm not interested.", I then would turn and walk away before they finished speaking. I would usually go find someone else to talk to so as to make him/her press the issue.
I can't remember it ever not working.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

My question,

If he is a varsity coach, why is he coaching another team during the high school play-off season.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

And also, the more I think about it, was this a game where ISHS officials were needed? What would ISHS would do?
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
My question,

If he is a varsity coach, why is he coaching another team during the high school play-off season.

Good question... Unless his team isn't very good...

It was confired though that he IS in fact who he said he was.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:06pm
Esteemed Participant

"When you call *insert name of whoever he's going to call*, do me a favor and tell him that you never want to see me doing one of your games again. That way I won't have to listen to you whine after any more games."

THEN you walk away...
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
...do me a favor and tell him that you never want to see me doing one of your games again...
Yeah, you *would* know about how *that* works.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Yeah, you *would* know about how *that* works.
LOL...*that* has *worked* pretty well for me this year. Haven't seen that a$$ again!!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

"Thank you. Your team played well." Say it with as much sincerity as you can fake.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
My personal favorite, of the choices.

I've been tempted to try, "I bet you say that to all the girls." But of course, that wouldn't work for you, BITS.
I'm betting I could make it work for me, and make him run for cover in the process. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
"Thank you. Your team played well." Say it with as much sincerity as you can fake.

All said..........that's the best response to get his goat you can use. Shows his crapola never phased you.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 03:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
I guess.. since I'm just a rookie.. I dont feel entitled to sarcasm yet.
Put this one away in your gym bag for future use:

Coach: "Are you getting smart with me?"
Me: "Absolutely not, Coach. I know that would be a waste of time. With you, I have to get dumb so you'll understand me."
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 04:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I'm doing a 7th grade girls traveling team game last night. The Varsity coach for the local boys team is the assistant coach. This is my first game of 2. After the game the coach comes up and intruduces himself.

"I'm **insert name here** the varsity coach. I just wanted to tell you that you missed alot of calls out there, and I could make some phone calls to **insert upper level IHSA official here** but i'm going to give you a break."
The funny part about this, the IHSA does not care about some 7th grade travel league. They probably would laugh in his face for even calling them. Also this obviously is not an IESA game. The IESA has a very close relationship with the IHSA and has similar standards of coaches.

This is why many officials stick to HS because you do not have to deal with these things. If this was a HS game, you could write up the coach.

Peace
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Put this one away in your gym bag for future use:

Coach: "Are you getting smart with me?"
Me: "Absolutely not, Coach. I know that would be a waste of time. With you, I have to get dumb so you'll understand me."
A better response is:

Absolutely not, for the sake of being understood I'm doing just the opposite.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

I might have been tempted to say "Tell ya what coach, let's call him right now and see what he has to say about all this" while pulling out my cell phone.
my former college assignor told us to do this. he said if a coach ever says that he/she is going to call him (the assignor) we were to immediately toss the coach and tell the coach to go make the call. Always good to know when your boss has got your back!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The funny part about this, the IHSA does not care about some 7th grade travel league. They probably would laugh in his face for even calling them. Also this obviously is not an IESA game. The IESA has a very close relationship with the IHSA and has similar standards of coaches.

This is why many officials stick to HS because you do not have to deal with these things. If this was a HS game, you could write up the coach.

Peace
Sent you a pm.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.