The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Varsity coach + Girls 7th grade traveling team = bad things.

I'm doing a 7th grade girls traveling team game last night. The Varsity coach for the local boys team is the assistant coach. This is my first game of 2. After the game the coach comes up and intruduces himself.

"I'm **insert name here** the varsity coach. I just wanted to tell you that you missed alot of calls out there, and I could make some phone calls to **insert upper level IHSA official here** but i'm going to give you a break."

**side note... this is the umpteenth resume I've heard in my first year and I completely ignore this activity cause as far as I'm concerned he is the assistant coach of the game I just officiated and nothing more.

So... I say "Thanks for you input coach" and procede to walk away.

He walks up to my partner and does the same thing go him. My partner.. He didn't take it so well. He sais , "Are you threatening me??" They start to exchange some dialog...

I step in and tell the coach.. "The game is over coach.. its time to go"

He sais, "Let me talk" and procedes to continue with my partner..

I turn to my partner and say, "Come on lets go... time to walk away"

He refuses, so I walk away and inform Game management. By that time the coach has moved on.

The second game went without a hitch as the coach left after the first game.

I called my assignor after the game and this is NOT an isolated incident with this coach.

Why...... do these coaches feel soooo entitled to berait officials who are not varsity refs, and furthermore... Why is it not MANDITORY to have an officials room for ALL levels??

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I feel your pain

It sounds like you handled it correctly, kudos to you.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Officials rooms at all levels??? Heck, I'm happy if the school has hot water for a shower afterwards...
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

you are much nicer than me, I would have probably said to him something along the lines of:

nice to meet you, I'm Fred Garvin, male prostitute

and walked away

but all kidding aside, the new guys working hard on middle school, freshmen and JV games are going to miss calls and a varsity coach should have enough sense to know this. That being said, I doubt he cared about who you or your partner are and he was more interested in intimidating you with who he is. Coaches are control freaks and he was doing his level best to get in your mind and control you. Walking away allowed you to control the situation and not allow him to have the upper hand.
"Earl Strom is a throwback, a reminder of the days when the refs had colorful personalities, the days when war-horses like Mendy Rudolph, Norm Drucker, and a younger Earl Strom were called the father, the son, and the holy ghost.—Roy Firestone, sports commentator
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
"I'm **insert name here** the varsity coach. I just wanted to tell you that you missed alot of calls out there, and I could make some phone calls to **insert upper level IHSA official here** but i'm going to give you a break."
You handled this well by walking away.

I might have been tempted to say "Tell ya what coach, let's call him right now and see what he has to say about all this" while pulling out my cell phone.

Also... don't forget that if you're still on the floor you can still T him up.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

What a loser!

Walking away was obviously the right thing to do. But I'm not sure I'd do the right thing. So many possible responses come to mind:

"So, coach, are you always an ***, or only after little girls games?"

"You go right ahead. I'm sure the IHSA just loves to hear from you every time you don't like the refs in a little girls game."

"Go **** yourself."

"Good to meet you coach, I'm ***insert my name here***. I just wanted to say that your girls are really poorly coached, your game plan was completely wrong, and you underestimated your opponent. I could put in a call to ***insert principal of coach's school***. But I'm going to cut you a break."

"Gee whiz, coach. That's awfully swell of you. If you ever need, you know, change to buy your next meal or a kidney or something, look me up. I really owe you one."

"Whatever."
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

I might have been tempted to say "Tell ya what coach, let's call him right now and see what he has to say about all this" while pulling out my cell phone.

I like it. Offer to dial the call for him. When he backs down, T him!
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
I like it. Offer to dial the call for him. When he backs down, T him!
Geeze, your channeling a lot of anger today BITS!

btw I like your response best:

"Go **** yourself"
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref

When he first approched me.. I was on the court, but.. It didn't bother me.. game was over.. I let him vent and I thought that would be the end of it. he approched my partner on the sideline, but... Technically we were in the visual confines, but.. his team lost anyway, so.. What good would a T do at that point??...

I did think of that though.

Coach.. I dont care if you coached in the ncaa.. this is a 7th grade girls traveling team.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:53am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Here's what my reaction would have been:

Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Admittedly, you did the right thing by walking away from the azhbag...

I'd like to think I'd handle it the same way but there is a part of me that knows I would be tempted to go off.

I might have tried to kill him with kindness/sarcasm. "Sounds great coach, let me know when you'd like to make the call....I've got a few things I'd like to address about your coaching while we have him on the phone..."
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
"Good to meet you coach, I'm ***insert my name here***. I just wanted to say that your girls are really poorly coached, your game plan was completely wrong, and you underestimated your opponent. I could put in a call to ***insert principal of coach's school***. But I'm going to cut you a break."
My personal favorite, of the choices.

I've been tempted to try, "I bet you say that to all the girls." But of course, that wouldn't work for you, BITS.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Admittedly, you did the right thing by walking away from the azhbag...

I'd like to think I'd handle it the same way but there is a part of me that knows I would be tempted to go off.

I might have tried to kill him with kindness/sarcasm. "Sounds great coach, let me know when you'd like to make the call....I've got a few things I'd like to address about your coaching while we have him on the phone..."
I guess.. since I'm just a rookie.. I dont feel entitled to sarcasm yet.

Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
What good would a T do at that point??...

Depending on the league a T *might* result in a future penalty (sit a game, whatever). You might have to give a flagrant T to get there in some leagues.

But you are protected by the rules in this situation. If you do this make sure it's recorded in the book and make sure the league hears about it (game report or whatever). I know in these rec league or travel league type games it's not always that organized and you may need to make some calls to get the desired result.

Edit to add that even if you don't T him then there is something in this business called "putting one in your pocket".

I'm not a big fan of that but I certainly hope the next time you see this guy you remember what a jerk he is and how he likes to push his weight around with the rookies.

Last edited by Dan_ref; Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 12:26pm.
Old Fri Feb 22, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
I learned a long time ago to not listen to fans or coaches in regards to their views as to how I reffed. You did a great job of handling the situation, very cool and composed. The only people I listen to are fellow reffs, they are really the only ones who totally understand the officiating situation as far as court angles and rules. Keep up the good work, that coach lost all credibility with his comments to you. A fool will reveal his stupidity rather quickly, once I discern they're out to lunch, I stop conversing with them.