The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Like the '72 Olympics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42112-like-72-olympics.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:11am

Like the '72 Olympics

Our local boys' clubs have a league. I did my first game in this league last night, 16-18 y/o boys division. Two rival clubs, so I was told. Game was scheduled for one club on the north side of the city, but I got a call a couple hours ahead telling me it was in another club on the south side, and that my partner was out sick. The assignor was still trying but hadn't found a sub. He also told me I only get one payment (not both or 1.5) for working by myself; something about the city grant for the league.

I went to the club about 10 minutes before game time. The home team was there but not the visitors. A couple minutes later somebody came and told all of us that the game was in the other club (where it was originally scheduled). I called the assignor to let him know just in case he found somebody and he told me my original partner was coming after all. It's a guy I worked with 3 or 4 times before and he didn't want to leave me hanging to do a city game with 16-18 y/o boys by myself.

We both get to the club on the north side and get started about 15 minutes late. My P is sick but hanging in there. The game is fast-paced and we keep it under control early with some good foul calls. 36-32 at the half, with 20-minute running clock (until last 2 minutes).

Game stays close. Partner gives a T partway through for a kid mouthing off. Finally down to 31 seconds left, tie score. Blue (visitors) hold for the last shot, I'm L. They hit a 18-footer with a couple seconds left. I look through and see the black coach calling for a timeout. I hit the whistle and look at the clock and see 1.0 but still running. It runs out and blue starts to celebrate. I hit the whistle a couple more times, grab the partner and tell him I have 1.0 left. He agrees and also says it was a 2, not a 3 as they put on the scoreboard. So I go to the table and we finally get it fixed, while he talks to the coaches (opposite sides of the gym). We set it up with me administering, black running baseline. Kid cocks back arm and lets a full-court pass fly. While pass is in the air, horn goes off. I hit whistle on the horn but it was loud in the little gym, not sure who heard me. Black catches, shoots, misses and blue thinks they won again. My partner and I discuss and put the 1.0 back on the clock AGAIN. I instruct timer carefully. Black running baseline again (throw-in never completed, so they still run baseline IMHO), and again black throws deep. Player catches, shoots misses, and I look up to see the 1.0 just starting to run. I hit whistle (immaterial because nobody was chasing the rebound and it would've run out without any further action) and game is finally over.

grunewar Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29am

Yeah, but the Russians didn't win this time! :mad: