The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Captains (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42098-captains.html)

hugheske44 Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:22am

Captains

New here...enjoying the knowledge so far....couple of questions...

What do you say to captains during the speech?

Do you do a different speech depending on grade level?

TIA~~~

tjones1 Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:31am

Welcome to the board!

Basically I tell them they are in charge of their team and to take care of them. I then tell them to display sportsmanship at all times, good luck, and have fun!

That's it - short and sweet. For the most part, they really aren't paying attention.

blindzebra Fri Feb 22, 2008 01:43am

Sportsmanship is key and as captains you are responsible for your teams so if you see anyone get out of line take care of it.

Who are speaking captains? You have anything come to us, if we have something we will be coming to you.

Any questions?

Good luck, have fun.

LDUB Fri Feb 22, 2008 03:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
Who are speaking captains? You have anything come to us, if we have something we will be coming to you.

What is the point of asking that question? Are you going to not answer a question from one of the non-speaking captains? Do you have some sort of rule or mechanicas book reference for having to split the captains into speaking and non-speaking?

BillyMac Fri Feb 22, 2008 07:48am

No More ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB
What is the point of asking that question? Are you going to not answer a question from one of the non-speaking captains? Do you have some sort of rule or mechanicas book reference for having to split the captains into speaking and non-speaking?

We actually have some officials who, as the referee not only ask for a speaking captain, they ask them if they're starting.

I stopped asking for speaking captains a few years ago. I will speak to any player who popilitely asks me a question, rules or mechancs be damned.

Coaches And Captains Meeting:
Players properly equipped.
Players wear uniforms properly.
Practice good sportsmanship.
Questions?
Comments from umpire?
Option: Mention respect the coaches, opponents, officials.
Option: Mention that my partner and I are the only ones in the gym who don't care who wins.
Option for girls game: Don't hang on the rim after you dunk.

grunewar Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Option for girls game: Don't hang on the rim after you dunk.

I used this line once during a captains meeting for MS game. As others have noted, often the kids aren't paying attention......after I made the comment, two girls nervously smiled, one looked at me quizzically, and one simply had no reaction...... enough said. :)

I keep it short, but also emphasize the uniform POE (shirts tucked in) and let the youngens note subs report to the table and only enter the court when signaled by the refs - try to avoid the unnecessary T's.....

I dropped the "speaking captains" part too.

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 22, 2008 08:27am

Quote:

Do you have some sort of rule or mechanicas book reference for having to split the captains into speaking and non-speaking?

By strict interpretation of the rule, BZ is correct. The cite is NFHS rule 3-1-1&2. By rule, there is only <b>one</b> captain allowed, and that <b>one</b> captain is the <b>only</b> player on that team that is allowed to ask questions.

By custom though, teams are also allowed co-captains, and co-captains are also usually allowed to speak. There was a FED case play issued years ago that said the captain could designate co-captains, and a co-captain could ask questions when the captain was on the bench. That evolved into usually just allowing everybody who showed up at the pre-game meeting to ask questions at any time.

Personally, if as player is polite, I'll answer any question from anybody. It just ain't a biggie.

Terrapins Fan Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:01am

" I am Mr. so and so, this is my partner/s Mr. such and such and Mr. whocaresIamjusthere4themoney, I need a speaking captain, You guys/girls are in charge of your team, if your players, your coach has any problems, they come to you, you come to us. We'll iron it out, rarely ever happens, We encourage good sportsmanship. Any questions? Partner/s do you have anything? Ladies / Gentlemen, remember if you hang on the rim after a dunk, it's a technical foul, other than that has a blast!"

Word for word every night. Names of the guilty have been changed for the fun of it.

ChrisSportsFan Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
"Word for word every night.

I hope you use better grammer. :p

Terrapins Fan Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:32am

I speak better than I type?

Camron Rust Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I hope you use better grammer. :p

About as good as your spelling ;)

blindzebra Fri Feb 22, 2008 01:25pm

Quote:

The reason?

One it is in the rules, two if I have a problem with another player I have been known to use a captain to help me out and one kid is easier to remember than 3 or 4.

And no I do not ignore polite questions from any other players, I'll talk to anyone, but if I have something official to do/say I want my "speaking captain".;)

eyezen Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:46pm

By rule you need to minimally satisfy 2-4-5

Sportmanship statement

"Coaches, are you players legally and properly equiped?"

hugheske44 Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:07am

Thank you for the replies, I have heard a variation of just about all of them. I guess ya gotta find what you feel comfortable with~~

refinks Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:58am

personally, I don't think I've ever had a captain/coaches meeting that has been exactly the same. It always changes, I just can't seem to find one that I really like