The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Last game of season...CANCELLED!

Man...I was pretty disappointed last night...I had my last game of the season lined up and ready to go...only to get a phone call about noon to tell me the game was cancelled. No explanation, just that the frosh game was cancelled. I did finish my week last week with my second varsity contest (I think that is a sign of things to come...felt MUCH more comfortable), but I wasn't in the mindset that I was finishing up my season. It just sucks a bit that my season ended with a cancelled game. Oh, well...time to actually spend time with the family and get some wreck ball. Camp's comin' too!
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 12:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Without 24 hours notice, I think you should still get paid. If you're lucky, that would happen in all your games.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Question ???

My last varsity game was scheduled for Thursday, but I just picked up another, a tournament game, at a high school for deaf kids. I've worked there before, and have posted about it here on the Forum. Very good boys varsity program, which would give many public high school vartsity teams a run for their money.

I was talking about my additional game at work today. Many of my colleagues know that I'm an official, and ask me a lot of questions about officiating. I explained to them that not only have I worked at the deaf school before, but that we actually have a deaf official on our local board. He also happens to coach the deaf school boys varsity team, and he's both a good coach, and a good official. My colleagues asked me about officials with other disabilities. We don't have any on our local board, but I'm sure that some Forum members might know of some. I'm sure that there are some officials out there with prosthetics. How about wheelchairs? Is it possible for an person to officiate a game in a wheelchair, and I'm not talking about wheelchair basketball. Could this be a safety issue for the players? Aren't there laws that would prevent local boards from discriminating against a wheelchair bound official?
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bad Start, Good Finish ...

I had a bad start to my season. I was scheduled to begin officiating with a very, very rare, for my local board, boys-girls varsity doubleheader, just a few minutes from my work. For some reason the doubleheader got cancelled. I lost an "easy ride", and a $160.00 check.

However, my assigner has made it up to me. I've had more fillins this year than any in recent memory, and will finish up my varsity season Friday night. I will also volunteer, as I usually do, to officiate the Special Olympics Unified games in a few weeks. No check, but it gives me a warm feeling inside.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 08:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
We don't have any on our local board, but I'm sure that some Forum members might know of some. I'm sure that there are some officials out there with prosthetics. How about wheelchairs? Is it possible for an person to officiate a game in a wheelchair, and I'm not talking about wheelchair basketball. Could this be a safety issue for the players? Aren't there laws that would prevent local boards from discriminating against a wheelchair bound official?
How about a referee on a "skateboard"? This looks like it's for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHc9Z2VCaw0