The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Correctable Error

Here we go....

A1 is fouled. A inbounds ball and then ball is stolen by B3- A coach is yelling at me that we missed the bonus - team b subsequently scores and I kill the clock. Yes, we should have shot the bonus. Error is correctable since it was found before the first dead ball becomes live - we go and shoot bonus. But this is where my partner and I have different opinions. IMO, a) we shoot bonus with no one on lane and then A gets the ball on the baseline in backcourt since I killed the clock after B made shot- b) my partner feels strongly that we shoot bonus with teams on the lane and play on from that point. I know that the basket by Team B counts no matter what. Whats correct ruling?

Second - A coach is upset because I didn't kill the clock right away during fast break. I have nothing to look at because I am trail and scoreboard is behind me and table is doing nothing... nothing - I explain that I waited to get a look at scoreboard. Whats the best thing to say here? IMO, the scorer/timer failed (after I failed for not noticing bonus) and they could have sounded horn...

With that said - if it wasn't correctable Team A coach would lose a timeout, right?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 09:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Give That Official A Cigar ...

Since there was a change of possession here, I believe that we go to the point of interuption. A's ball for a throwin with the privlege of running the end line.

My best guess. Your right. Partner's wrong.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 20, 2008 at 06:58pm.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Kim -- you were right about no one on the lane, and go poi. B's steal constitutes a change of possession, which means go poi.

Regarding what to say to the coach, I think the best approach is something to the effect that you'd have given team A the courtesy of waiting til their play was through if the situation had been reversed.

btw, good job handling a correctable error. Them's tricky business!
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Kim -- you were right about no one on the lane, and go poi. B's steal constitutes a change of possession, which means go poi.

Regarding what to say to the coach, I think the best approach is something to the effect that you'd have given team A the courtesy of waiting til their play was through if the situation had been reversed.

btw, good job handling a correctable error. Them's tricky business!
Definitely one of those nights - we had a intentional foul, player technical, a fan taking pix with a flash (home coach wanted announcement made) my partner had a fan removed early in game - All in a BJV contest.

1 more and I am done!

Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
1 more and I am done!
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I mean, will you be jonesing in a week or two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbp5C-5WXM

Last edited by rainmaker; Tue Feb 19, 2008 at 10:08pm.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Since there was a change of possession here, I believe that we go to the point of interuption. B's ball for a throwin with the privlege of running the end line.

My best guess. Your right. Partner's wrong.
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, the point of interuption was B making the layup after the stolen pass. Thus A will get the ball and can run the end line.

As far as A's coach being upset, the question at hand is would he have been as up set if his team hadn't thrown the ball away and had scored a 2 or 3 point FG before play was stopped to correct the error? Had this happen in a game and let's just say its difficult to explain to coach B why the other team is getting a chance at essentially a 5 point play. Unfortunately that is how the correctable error rule works but on the other hand it was his home scorer that miscounted the team fouls.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Memories .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I mean, will you be jonesing in a week or two?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIbp5C-5WXM
Rainmaker: Thanks for finding this. I actually still have the 45 rpm record. I didn't know that there was animation to go with the song. The song is by Cheech and Chong, but the animation reminds me of the old Bill Cosby "Fat Albert" cartoons.

Note to young officials: A 45 rpm record is a black plastic disk, about twice the size of a modern CD, that has grooves in it, that are converted by a needle into sounds, on a device called a record player. It contains one song on one side, and must be flipped over, to play the second song, on the flip side.
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

My favorite Cheech and Chong line was when Tommy Chong is walking down a street and some guy comes up to him to see if he wants to buy a watch. Chong replies, "Oh no thanks, man. I'm not into time".
Old Wed Feb 20, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It contains one song on one side, and must be flipped over, to play the second song, on the flip side.
The second song always sucked.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, the point of interuption was B making the layup after the stolen pass. Thus A will get the ball and can run the end line.

As far as A's coach being upset, the question at hand is would he have been as up set if his team hadn't thrown the ball away and had scored a 2 or 3 point FG before play was stopped to correct the error? Had this happen in a game and let's just say its difficult to explain to coach B why the other team is getting a chance at essentially a 5 point play. Unfortunately that is how the correctable error rule works but on the other hand it was his home scorer that miscounted the team fouls.
Tell the coach that hollering at you during the play isn't the proper procedure. Then inform him of the proper method to handle it. He needs to go to the scorer's table and request a time-out to rectify a correctable error. The table should sound the horn at the next dead ball. The error will still be correctable.

An official should never stop a play in progress just because a coach is yelling about something, unless the whistle is for a T on the coach.

BTW had there not been a steal and play had been stopped with A still in possession then the players would line up as normal for the FTs, but a made goal by A would indeed create a double whammy.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:30am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner
If I am not mistaken in FIBA rules had this been the situation and A was able to score a basket before the mistake was corrected, then the Free Throws are ignored and the basket is counted. No opportunity to get the extra points on an error.

I'm just thinking out loud here so don't be upset I am refering to FIBA....

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

You did well. You can't kill the clock because the coach tells you it should have been bonus throw(s). And you shouldn't kill the clock even if you look up and see a 7 by teams fouls. Scoreboards can be wrong. Correct procedure is to allow the play to continue - then whistle just as you did. Same coach would probrably complained if the situation had been reversed and you stopped his fast break attempt. Good job!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Note to young officials: A 45 rpm record is a black plastic disk, about twice the size of a modern CD, that has grooves in it, that are converted by a needle into sounds, on a device called a record player. It contains one song on one side, and must be flipped over, to play the second song, on the flip side.
And I *still* can't get over that I don't have to rewind the DVD before taking it back to Blockbuster.

Billy I'm betting you're amazed by that too!
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
a fan taking pix with a flash (home coach wanted announcement made)
What was the problem there? All sports photos need flash indoors.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
What was the problem there? All sports photos need flash indoors.
no problem on my end - had home coach take it up with his game management - I am staying out of that one unless photoman is on baseline and he gets in my way. And certainly, that was the least of my problems that night.