The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Help Please! NFHS rules (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42015-help-please-nfhs-rules.html)

refman1964 Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:44pm

Help Please! NFHS rules

I call in Missouri. Had an issue last night with the amount of quarters a player is allowed to play in. A1 played all 4 quarters of the junior varsity contest. Then played in the first three quarters of the Varsity game. This would be a total of 7. I was positive that a player is only allowed 6. However I cannot find the rule covering this, along with what, if anything, to do about it. I hate showing my ignorance here, but I'm hoping someone, as they chuckle, will help me out here.

Is this a state by state rule ?

williebfree Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50pm

State by State

Welcome aboard refman1964:

I am not chuckling.... we all need to learn as we go....

In WI, the state association (WI Interscholastic Athletic Association) has established guidelines for the amount of playing time (quarters in basketball).

Here is the great news.... It is NOT an officials responsibility to enforce the playing time limitations. Violators are reported directly to the WIAA, by observers (usually the opponents). I am not aware of any recent violations/consequences of the playing time standards.

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50pm

This is a state by state issue. The NF has no rules governing playing time.

refman1964 Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:56pm

Thanks, At least I Know I did read it somewhere, and I'm not completely insane. I've gone through all of my state supplied material but I still can't find it. If any of you fella's call high school ball in Missouri and can tell me where to find this rule I'd appreciate it.

budjones05 Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refman1964
Thanks, At least I Know I did read it somewhere, and I'm not completely insane. I've gone through all of my state supplied material but I still can't find it. If any of you fella's call high school ball in Missouri and can tell me where to find this rule I'd appreciate it.

Hey refman, this is state to state issue, but don't make it your issue. If the school want to protest this, they will have to go to MSHSAA with the head book. Other than this, don't open any cans if you don't have too.

refman1964 Tue Feb 19, 2008 01:15am

If its brought up during the game, Any suggestions on what to say, or how to handle the team b coach, aside from sorry coach nothing I can do about it. thanks for your feedback.

budjones05 Tue Feb 19, 2008 01:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by refman1964
If its brought up during the game, Any suggestions on what to say, or how to handle the team b coach, aside from sorry coach nothing I can do about it. thanks for your feedback.

I'll play dumb. The words sorry coach....willl always get you into trouble.

rainmaker Tue Feb 19, 2008 01:46am

I happen to know the rules and procedures in this regard for Oregon -- because my daughter played. When a coach asks me, I say, "There's nothing I can do about it. If you think they are using an ineligible player, you have to file with the state, and if the state determines there's an infraction, you'll win by forfeit." By knowing the procedure myself, I can give the coach a good reason why I'm not "enforcing" it. It probably wouldn't hurt anything for you to gain that information for Missouri.

jdw3018 Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:59am

Kansas also has the 6-quarter rule, but there is no in-game penalty for exceeding it. If a player plays more than 6 quarters in a night, I believe he/she then loses one game of eligibility (20 days/games of competition per year, not counting post-season).

As others have said, it is simply not something the officials are to worry about at all in Kansas, and if you can't find anything about it in your state material, you probably have no responsibility either.

TimTaylor Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:45am

What Juulie said...."Coach, that's not within the scope of the officials' jurisdiction or responsibility. If you think there's been an eligibility violation you need to file a complaint with (insert name of your state's HS sports association)."

shave-tail Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
Kansas also has the 6-quarter rule, but there is no in-game penalty for exceeding it. If a player plays more than 6 quarters in a night, I believe he/she then loses one game of eligibility (20 days/games of competition per year, not counting post-season).

As others have said, it is simply not something the officials are to worry about at all in Kansas, and if you can't find anything about it in your state material, you probably have no responsibility either.

Kansas is 5 quarters.

jdw3018 Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shave-tail
Kansas is 5 quarters.

Ah, right. See, I've been away for a year and already I forget.