The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Saw a nasty Intentional. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/42010-saw-nasty-intentional.html)

Bearfanmike20 Mon Feb 18, 2008 04:20pm

Saw a nasty Intentional.

Wasn't a game I was officiating, I was waiting for my games to start.

Cross town 8th grade travel game. Very heated. Gold bringing the ball up on a break away... #25 Green runs wide and flys across the courth and WHAM!! a 2 forarm shiver right into the side of the Gold player with the ball. Both Officials immediatly signal Intentional, and the funniest part is that the green coach asks why... and then the green and gold coach start screaming at each other. I just shook my head.

Mark Padgett Mon Feb 18, 2008 04:33pm

Sounds flagrant. Did they call it that way or "just" intentional? BTW - I'm sure I've had that green coach in every game this year. ;)

Bearfanmike20 Mon Feb 18, 2008 04:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Sounds flagrant. Did they call it that way or "just" intentional? BTW - I'm sure I've had that green coach in every game this year. ;)

They called it intentional. Not flagrant. Player remained in the game.

They probably just saw the end result and didn't see him "winding up" across the court. 2 man mechanics, and it was right where center would be in a 3 man crew so....

JRutledge Mon Feb 18, 2008 04:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
They called it intentional. Not flagrant. Player remained in the game.

They probably just saw the end result and didn't see him "winding up" across the court. 2 man mechanics, and it was right where center would be in a 3 man crew so....

I do not think that matters, it is an 8th grade game. You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating. I do not think having 3 officials would have made much difference.

Peace

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Feb 18, 2008 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

About three years ago, Daryl and I had a men's coll. JV (Div. III schools involved) and we had the same type of play. The defender was gone for the rest of the game.

MTD, Sr.

fullor30 Mon Feb 18, 2008 06:06pm

Quote:

Wasn't a game I was officiating, I was waiting for my games to start.

Cross town 8th grade travel game. Very heated. Gold bringing the ball up on a break away... #25 Green runs wide and flys across the courth and WHAM!! a 2 forarm shiver right into the side of the Gold player with the ball. Both Officials immediatly signal Intentional, and the funniest part is that the green coach asks why... and then the green and gold coach start screaming at each other. I just shook my head.

Are you sure it was #25?

Coltdoggs Mon Feb 18, 2008 07:23pm

Hey Mike...Are you up near Chi-town? Have you ever officiated for a 7th/8th grade (Travel/AAU) team called the Illanova Wildcats? They have a nice team and it's a program that several Univ of Illinois players and a few Univ. of Villanova players played for as youth. Currently they have the son of Everett Stephens who used to play for Purdue....Kid has a silky jumper.

Had them at a tournament here in Indy about a month or two ago...

just another ref Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
I do not think that matters, it is an 8th grade game. You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating. I do not think having 3 officials would have made much difference.

Peace

Quite a supposition. Also, the guys calling the game may have had a "college and above" mentality,so they were concerned about disqualifying one of the "stars."

JRutledge Tue Feb 19, 2008 02:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
Quite a supposition. Also, the guys calling the game may have had a "college and above" mentality,so they were concerned about disqualifying one of the "stars."

Still trying to debate a fight you will never understand. And by the way, the things we talked about weeks ago had nothing to do with college at all. Then again, that is why you are just another ref. ;)

Peace

Bearfanmike20 Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Are you sure it was #25?

ABSOLUTELY!!! I remember that cause I was soooo shocked he was still in the game.

Bearfanmike20 Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
Hey Mike...Are you up near Chi-town? Have you ever officiated for a 7th/8th grade (Travel/AAU) team called the Illanova Wildcats? They have a nice team and it's a program that several Univ of Illinois players and a few Univ. of Villanova players played for as youth. Currently they have the son of Everett Stephens who used to play for Purdue....Kid has a silky jumper.

Had them at a tournament here in Indy about a month or two ago...

Nope... I'm in the Northern Burbs. Lake county. I've done a few of Zion Bentons Feeder teams though.. and those kids can really ball. You will be hearing from them in a few years. That you can be sure of.

fullor30 Tue Feb 19, 2008 09:21am

Quote:

ABSOLUTELY!!! I remember that cause I was soooo shocked he was still in the game.

I was yanking your lanyard.

Bearfanmike20 Tue Feb 19, 2008 01:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
I was yanking your lanyard.

Thats the most action I've gotten in a while.. ;)

just another ref Tue Feb 19, 2008 02:31pm

Quote:

Still trying to debate a fight you will never understand. And by the way, the things we talked about weeks ago had nothing to do with college at all. Then again, that is why you are just another ref. ;)

Peace

What I don't understand in this case is why you would automatically assume that guys know less than you simply because they are calling an 8th grade game. It could have been two semi-retired former state finals officials who only call locally now on a fill in basis.

JRutledge Tue Feb 19, 2008 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref
What I don't understand in this case is why you would automatically assume that guys know less than you simply because they are calling an 8th grade game. It could have been two semi-retired former state finals officials who only call locally now on a fill in basis.

For one I did not say anything about me. I did not even compare the officials to me at all.

Secondly, this is from my area. Chances are that I know a little bit more about what goes on around here than you do.

There are not very many experienced officials that are working a lot of JH basketball. There are exceptions, but most officials that would regularly work varsity or college, do not have time to work JH ball. It is a numbers game. And we are in the playoff season here, even less opportunity to get experienced officials to work games. And that is why I said "You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating."

Peace

ma_ref Tue Feb 19, 2008 03:12pm

Quote:

I do not think that matters, it is an 8th grade game. You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating.

Quote:

For one I did not say anything about me. I did not even compare the officials to me at all.

Secondly, this is from my area. Chances are that I know a little bit more about what goes on around here than you do.

There are not very many experienced officials that are working a lot of JH basketball. There are exceptions, but most officials that would regularly work varsity or college, do not have time to work JH ball. It is a numbers game. And we are in the playoff season here, even less opportunity to get experienced officials to work games. And that is why I said "You have to realize that the officials are not likely the most knowledgeable or experienced and neither is everyone else participating."

I just came across this thread, and I don't want to throw gas on the fire, but you really should've pointed out initially that you were referring to officials in your area. Your statement is actually quite offensive to probably most officials that read these forums. I'm a high school/college official, and I also work junior-high level games, and am able to adjust my game to the level-of-play at hand.

JRutledge Tue Feb 19, 2008 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref
I just came across this thread, and I don't want to throw gas on the fire, but you really should've pointed out initially that you were referring to officials in your area.

I see you have about 19 posts total at the time of this thread. That likely means you are not aware of many of the personalities here and where they are from. The person that started this post is from my area. He lists his area in the corner of his profile and I was responding to him, not you and not everyone reading that might read this.

Quote:

Your statement is actually quite offensive to probably most officials that read these forums. I'm a high school/college official, and I also work junior-high level games, and am able to adjust my game to the level-of-play at hand.

If that is offensive to you, then that is really your problem. I was not talking to you or everyone here other than the OPer (and that is why I quoted his post…ding..ding..ding). And around here and the way most officials that work a heavy college and HS schedule, they are not working JH games. And not because I say so, because most officials have families and jobs and working JH is not their priority. And if a college or HS official messed this up, then that is worse. JH basketball is where most officials start (around here) they tend to leave it behind once they get their name out there and once the assignors and schools ask them to fill HS and even college ball. If I worked JH ball, I would not have a single night off and that is not good for my family life and the fact I do have a main source of income outside of officiating.

I guess you will just have to be offended.

Peace

just another ref Tue Feb 19, 2008 07:02pm

Quote:

Quote:

I just came across this thread, and I don't want to throw gas on the fire, but you really should've pointed out initially that you were referring to officials in your area. Your statement is actually quite offensive to probably most officials that read these forums. I'm a high school/college official, and I also work junior-high level games, and am able to adjust my game to the level-of-play at hand.

Makes you wonder how such a busy guy has time to keep up with the quality of the officiating done by these inexperienced, not very knowledgeable people.