The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 08:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
Defender bails out, trying to take a charge, still no LGP, causing shooter to go down
How does a defender bail out and try to take a charge simultaneously. I'm lost on this description.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Bailing out is going down to the ground when not taking any contact from the offensive player in hopes that the official will call a player control foul. A lot of times this results in the offensive player also going to the ground, causing a very ugly play.

IMO, this is exactly what happened on the last shot by UAB.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Dude, watch the T (if you can't see the signal, maybe that explains your opinion on both of these plays ). He signals travel immediately (not the slo-mo replay). How you have a possible carry is absurd. The guard swinging around reaches out with right hand to catch a high bounce pass and brings it in. Worst case scenario is that right foot is the pivot. He starts his dribble with the right foot still on the ground. Not a travel last I knew....
The video is very grainy and I cannot see anything one way or the other. I see the official signal, but there is not a close up of what the official called or what player did.

Quote:
As far as the last shot by UAB, the UAB player maintained his course of direction all the way through the shot. Defender never had LGP as he was coming in from the side. At 1:39 of video there is space between the players as the UAB players goes up for shot. Defender bails out, trying to take a charge, still no LGP, causing shooter to go down. Dumb play by defender, I'm shooting 3.

I never mentioned anything about 'protecting the shooter'. I asked if, by NCAA rules, the shooter is allowed to come back to the floor safely.
Huh? What in the heck are you talking about? Bailing out? What does that mean?

If anything they shooter was out of control and tried to just throw up a shot. The defenders did nothing wrong but standing there and backing away. That does not mean you have fouled anyone.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 01:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Bailing out is going down to the ground when not taking any contact from the offensive player in hopes that the official will call a player control foul. A lot of times this results in the offensive player also going to the ground, causing a very ugly play.

IMO, this is exactly what happened on the last shot by UAB.
No, that's what we technically call a flop, technically speaking of course.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
The video is very grainy and I cannot see anything one way or the other. I see the official signal, but there is not a close up of what the official called or what player did.

Huh? What in the heck are you talking about? Bailing out? What does that mean?

If anything they shooter was out of control and tried to just throw up a shot. The defenders did nothing wrong but standing there and backing away. That does not mean you have fouled anyone.

Peace
Defender was never 'just standing'. Please tell me where in the clip you see the defender just standing there. He was at the side of the offense player until the last second as the UAB player goes up and jumps in front of him. I guess maybe he did a good job of standin' while he was movin'.

BTW, the out of control shooter ended up with 27 or 28 points. Looked like a decent shot from a good shooter with almost enough time to give opportunity for rebound basket.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Defender was never 'just standing'. Please tell me where in the clip you see the defender just standing there. He was at the side of the offense player until the last second as the UAB player goes up and jumps in front of him. I guess maybe he did a good job of standin' while he was movin'.
Let me put it this way. The defenders did not cause any contact and they were backing up. So in other words, they were just standing there. The shooter was trying to split two defenders and threw up a prayer to have a chance to win the game. I would not be calling a foul on that kind of contact at any point in the game let alone an end of the game situation.

Quote:
BTW, the out of control shooter ended up with 27 or 28 points. Looked like a decent shot from a good shooter with almost enough time to give opportunity for rebound basket.
I do not care how many points he had. I bet he did not take any shots like the one in the video that is referenced here.

Quote:
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Of course.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I never saw a travel. It just looked funny.

The no-call was a good one. The flop didn't hinder the attempt and the shooter was off balance, so you can't say that he went down because of the defender.

The biggest call may have been was Roberts' foot on the line on the 3 at 39 seconds? It was really close.