The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   I'm a referee too. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4190-im-referee-too.html)

devdog69 Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:38am

Looking through some posts on the other side of town reminded me of something that happened to me last Saturday doing a rec tournament.
How many times have we heard from some coach, "I'm a referee, too"? Like we are going to say "oh, ok, now you know all the rules and if you think that's not a foul, I'll just cancel it, will that be ok?". Had this happen, I called a kick on a kid who was on the offensive team. The kid was running full speed, the ball came into contact with his foot, and his foot extended forward so I called a kick. Might have been a bad call, I still don't know but that's not the point. End of quarter was soon after and the coach is loudly asking my partner to "educate" me on what a kick was. So I tell him, I am fully aware that a kick is an intentional act and that was how I ruled it. He throws in the "I'm a referee too" card. We go on and he chirps the entire game about "three seconds" & "over the back" calls that we are not making and are just not there. His team is losing by twenty and neither team knows anything but full speed ahead, I doubt if either team held the ball in the frontcourt without shooting for more than three seconds more than a dozen times the entire game. After the game, he approaches me and asks me if the three second count is in effect on the inbounds play. I chuckle and say no, ball has to be in the frontcourt, in player control, and resets on a shot. He asks "are you sure"? Yes, sir, I AM SURE. "I'm a referee too" NOT. Just had to let that out.

Dan_ref Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:56am

Quote:

Originally posted by devdog69

He throws in the "I'm a referee too" card.

"Might be, but right now you're a coach. And coach, I've
heard enough."

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 21, 2002 11:48am

Quote:

How many times have we heard from some coach, "I'm a referee, too"?
Your reply should be, "That's great. I'll expect a higher level of respect than if you were merely a coach."

A pre-emptive strike usually works.

Bart Tyson Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:41pm

I like that one mark

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 21, 2002 12:54pm

Quote:

After the game, he approaches me and asks me if the three second count is in effect on the inbounds play. I chuckle and say no, ball has to be in the frontcourt, in player control, and resets on a shot. He asks "are you sure"? Yes, sir, I AM SURE. "I'm a referee too" NOT. Just had to let that out. [/B]
For 3 seconds,the ball has to be in front court in team control,not player control.

BktBallRef Fri Feb 22, 2002 01:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

After the game, he approaches me and asks me if the three second count is in effect on the inbounds play. I chuckle and say no, ball has to be in the frontcourt, in player control, and resets on a shot. He asks "are you sure"? Yes, sir, I AM SURE. "I'm a referee too" NOT. Just had to let that out.
For 3 seconds,the ball has to be in front court in team control,not player control. [/B]
Good catch, JR! You still got it! ;)

Jurassic Referee Fri Feb 22, 2002 08:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Good catch, JR! You still got it! ;) [/B]
Gee,now I feel bad about only giving you a 5.8 score on that last reply to the Zimpster!:D