The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 03:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo21
What is sad and why are you condescending? Did I defend the KKK? Did I defend this school? I'm just saying, under our laws, they have this right! Do I have to show complete righteous indignation to get a gold star from you or something?
Rizzo, I've told you my view of you. I'll stick with what I've posted so far. No need to add anything further.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
I'm having a difficult time embracing stupidity today, so pls bear with me...

In THIS particular case CLEARLY (pls tell me this is clear to you...) this group has discriminated against an individual based on nothing but gender. In what country do you live where a group's religious belief trumps a person's basic right to not endure discrimination based on gender? (I am still assuming you agree this might be a basic right... maybe not, you tell me.)
I live in the United States of America, thank you very much, and the courts here in the United States of America MAY regard, in this situation, a greater weight to a group's RIGHT to practice their religious beliefs over a person's basic RIGHT as you've described it. I don't believe this is CLEARLY a slam dunk.

BTW, the Catholic Church does not allow women employment as a priest. Does this mean none of you here displaying all this indignation never step foot in a Catholic Church? I'd say the compensation from that job is a bit more than $35 for a night's work.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
What church receives "federal money?" Our church would like to build a family life center with a gym. Some federal assistance would be great!
Then we agree that this is a clear case of gender discrimination and could possibly be prosecuted under the existing laws, regardless of what money flows where.

btw...

http://www.religionandsocialpolicy.o...date.cfm?id=16
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Rizzo, I've told you my view of you. I'll stick with what I've posted so far. No need to add anything further.
Then I guess the gold star is out of the question...
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I live in the United States of America, thank you very much, and the courts here in the United States of America MAY regard, in this situation, a greater weight to a group's RIGHT to practice their religious beliefs over a person's basic RIGHT as you've described it. I don't believe this is CLEARLY a slam dunk.
This is CLEARLY gender discrimination. But if you seperate your tolerance for religious kooks from the facts then you'll see that as well.

How the courts decide is outside of my ability to predict.

Quote:
BTW, the Catholic Church does not allow women employment as a priest. Does this mean none of you here displaying all this indignation never step foot in a Catholic Church? I'd say the compensation from that job is a bit more than $35 for a night's work.
So you're equating a game official with a RC priest?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is CLEARLY gender discrimination. But if you seperate your tolerance for religious kooks from the facts then you'll see that as well.

So you're equating a game official with a RC priest?
Um, yeah. They are both denied employment based on gender at a religious institution. One is simply on a much larger scale than the other but the same principle.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfanmike20
I'm glad to hear it... all I've heard are bad things. Thanks you for enlightening me.
You need to talk to other officials, there are some great guys and terrific officials in that group.

Sounds like sour grapes from someone.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 04:23pm
Esteemed Participant

I'm not really sure how this all got compared to the KKK (but I'm thinking our buddy who's going straight to hell might have had something to do with that), but since the comparison was made...the KKK, as a PRIVATE group can deny membership and employment based on racial, gender, religious, sexual-orientation, etc. basis - if they choose to. This school, as a PRIVATE group, can do the same. The fact that this does not fit your worldview (or mine for that matter) doesn't change those facts - and denying that private group the ability to do so would be every bit as wrong as you are saying the school was.

Editorial note: I disagree strenously with what the school did, but (as I said in an earlier post) in the rush to defend "diversity",we often trample all over other people's diverse views that don't fit our defintions of what is acceptable diversity.

IOW...word.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Um, yeah. They are both denied employment based on gender at a religious institution. One is simply on a much larger scale than the other but the same principle.
I see.

As I already said I'm having difficulty embracing stupidity today so I'll just get out now.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 04:36pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

As I already said I'm having difficulty embracing stupidity
That's not very diverse of you.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is CLEARLY gender discrimination.
Agreed.

Quote:
And discrimination itself is not illegal. As others have said, it is only illegal in certain contexts. As dispicible as this situation is (and I'd have walked off the court with her as her partners did), it is probably within the rights of a religous organization (which they are) to do exactly what they did.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 06:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

There was an instance years ago around here when the Executive Director of the Society of St. Vincent dePaul retired. One of the people who was in line for the job (an employee) was not Roman Catholic. He wasn't considered and the Society claimed that state law allowed them to have a condition for that position that required their "leader" to be of their specific religion. As far as I know, it was never contested. BTW - the job went to a woman.

Come to think of it, I've never had a rabbi who wasn't Jewish and I've never heard anyone complain about it.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I don't have a problem with you or anyone expressing your opinion. However, that doesn't mean that you have the right to tell anybody what they can post or not post. Plain and simple, that's none of your damn business. That's up to the people that own this site, and the people that they appointed as moderators. You completely fail to see that point.
And you refuse to acknowledge the equally true and valid point that anybody who posts here is free to post what they like within the limits allowed by the owners and their moderators. That includes pleas for more civility in posting. And, before you jump all over me, it also includes your right to be a SOB in response to such pleas.

What's posted in this online community is the business of everybody in the community. Not just it's curmudgeons.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 06:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Not just it's curmudgeons.
I must admit, I don't think I've seen "curmudgeons" before in a post here. Kudos to you, BITS. It's a great word and we should use it more often.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 08:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
And you refuse to acknowledge the equally true and valid point that anybody who posts here is free to post what they like within the limits allowed by the owners and their moderators. That includes pleas for more civility in posting. And, before you jump all over me, it also includes your right to be a SOB in response to such pleas.

What's posted in this online community is the business of everybody in the community. Not just it's curmudgeons.
I got an idea.

Write an article about it.