The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   School Not Allowing a Woman Official (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41877-school-not-allowing-woman-official.html)

Dan_ref Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Does that affect whether they employ female teachers? :confused:

Only to the extent that your exact question is addressed in the article which you may want to read.

All_Heart Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loners4me
funny, this St. Puis X Academy is the school I just posted about this mornng about adding them to my blacklist of schools I won't work at. Presently they are the only one.

Priest is the coach, principal, priests dad is the AD, not associated with any state associations. It's their way or the highway.

Oh and they pay $35 for a Varsity Boys contest and still use a 2 man crew

http://forum.officiating.com/showthr...t=41811&page=2

You are talking about a different school then the specific one in the article, right?

You said that the school you are talking about is in Illinois.

Just wanted to clarify for anyone that didn't pick up on that.

loners4me Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:46pm

corrent I am talking about a St. Pius X Academy in IL. I think there are only a handful nationwide and all follow the same practices.

rockyroad Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:50pm

While I think this action is ridiculous, I'm not sure it makes the school "kooks". They certainly are different, but they are entitled to their stances - like them or not. Since they are not full memebers of the KSHSAA, is there really anything the KSHSAA can do to the school as a result of this?

The thing that really grabbed my attention from the article is the lady official's responses - what a class act! She seems like the type of person I would ref with - or walk off the court together with - any day of the week.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:52pm

Yes, the KSHSAA can remove them from their list of approved schools. This would then prevent any full-member school from playing against St. Mary's Academy without some sort of fine/discipline.

Secondly, agree completely about the official - she's definitely handling this well and with a ton of class. I most likely wouldn't have as much.

Dan_ref Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad
While I think this action is ridiculous, I'm not sure it makes the school "kooks".

If they recieve *any* public funding I think this action makes them outside of the law.

And yes they are kooks. Face it, we live in a world with kooks, religious and otherwise. These people are just more of the same.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:57pm

I don't believe SMA receives any public funding, Dan. From what I know about the school, they'd be in violation of quite a few laws if that were the case.

Dan_ref Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
I don't believe SMA receives any public funding, Dan. From what I know about the school, they'd be in violation of quite a few laws if that were the case.

OK, then they're just a bunch of kooks.

Good to know

:cool:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:07pm

Year's ago when I was still officiating H.S. fut bol (soccer) the soccer officials association to which I belonged assigned games for State Line Christian H.S. which was located just across the state line from Toledo in "that state up north" (that is Michigan for all of you people who are not familiar with the greatest college football rivalary in the histor of the game). State Line H.S. is what we called an outlaw school because it did not belong to the MichiganHSAA, but they did play basketball and soccer using NFHS rules.

One year they played host to Lansing (Mich.) Christian H.S., which traveled about 140 miles to play the game and I was assigned as the R in a three-man crew to officiate the game. As we were meeting at the center of the field for the coin toss, the SLHS principal/athletic director walked into our meeting and informed us that the one co-captain for LCHS could not play because she was a girl and this was a boy's soccer game. We all stood there speechless (I know, me speechless) for a moment. And then I told him that he had no control over who LCHS put on the field of play and that we (the game officials) were going to let her play. He said that he would no allow his team to take the field against LCHS if she played. I asked him if that meant he was refusing to play the game. He said yes. I said fine and since we had already received our game checks we would be leaving right now. He said we couldn't leave and if we did he would stop payment on the checks. I told him that if he stopped payment on the checks, we just wouldn't take him to small claims court we would file criminal charges for theft of services against him and the school. That changed his mind pretty quick. We played the game and I never officiated soccer there again.

MTD, Sr.

Scrapper1 Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Only to the extent that your exact question is addressed in the article which you may want to read.

I don't want to read it, which is why I asked the question. Since nobody will answer it, and I can't be bothered reading about a bunch of kooks, I'll just excuse myself from this thread.

jdw3018 Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:19pm

Quote:

I don't want to read it, which is why I asked the question. Since nobody will answer it, and I can't be bothered reading about a bunch of kooks, I'll just excuse myself from this thread.

The funny thing, Scrapper, is that I'm certain you've now spent more time posting and responding to posts about this subject than it would have taken you to simply skim the article and find all this out. :D

Also, your question was answered a couple times after your first post (read post #12), yet you posted again asking basically the same question.

bgtg19 Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:51pm

A little restraint, please

When I make a call and a fan in the stands disagrees with my call - and perhaps I'm in the minority, but this seems to be the case with some regularity - I wish they would recognize the fact of our disagreement without resorting to name calling.

I'd like officials, even officials posting on web sites, to extend the same courtesy. As a result, I'd like to request - recognizing that I don't have any power or authority in this matter - that we refrain from calling people "kooks" if we disagree with them.

Personally, I not only disagree with the school's position, I can't understand it. I support the choices of the officials who walked off with Ms. Campbell and the officials who will choose not to work at this school because of a policy with which they disagree. The school made a choice apparently due to a sincerely held belief; we officials can make choices (e.g., not to work at that school) due to our sincerely held beliefs. Ad hominem and ad populum attacks are not helpful.

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:54pm

Quote:

Since nobody will answer it, and I can't be bothered reading about a bunch of kooks, I'll just excuse myself from this thread.

And I'm talking my ball and going home too.

So there.

Rich Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgtg19
When I make a call and a fan in the stands disagrees with my call - and perhaps I'm in the minority, but this seems to be the case with some regularity - I wish they would recognize the fact of our disagreement without resorting to name calling.

I'd like officials, even officials posting on web sites, to extend the same courtesy. As a result, I'd like to request - recognizing that I don't have any power or authority in this matter - that we refrain from calling people "kooks" if we disagree with them.

Personally, I not only disagree with the school's position, I can't understand it. I support the choices of the officials who walked off with Ms. Campbell and the officials who will choose not to work at this school because of a policy with which they disagree. The school made a choice apparently due to a sincerely held belief; we officials can make choices (e.g., not to work at that school) due to our sincerely held beliefs. Ad hominem and ad populum attacks are not helpful.

This is 2007 and we live in America (most of us). Refusing a woman official is abhorrent and "kook", IMO, is a kind way of describing these people.

What lessons are they teaching? Do they have less respect for female police officers, for example, because it's a woman in a position of authority?

BktBallRef Wed Feb 13, 2008 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018

In violation of law? I don't think so.

We're independent contractors. No school has to hire any of us. They can choose not to use any official, just as they can choose not to use a certain plumber or electrician.

They're kooks but they haven't done anything illegal as far as I can tell.