The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41862-backcourt-violation.html)

Atreyu Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:27am

Backcourt Violation

I was recently playing in a basketball game and had a discrepancy with the official. Here's the scenario:

Player A1 had the ball in his own backcourt. He passes the ball to player A2 in their frontcourt. Therefore, at this time, Team A has possession in the frontcourt. Player A2 was trapped and threw the ball to A1, who was still in the backcourt. Player A1 jumped in the air, caught the ball, and threw it back to A2 before landing again.

My belief was that the call should have been a backcourt violation. Player A1 was in backcourt and had not gone into the frontcourt when he touched the ball, therefore I considered him in backcourt. I didn't think that it mattered if he was in the air, he was still in the backcourt and had not gone into the frontcourt.

What's the saying? "You are where you were until you get where you're going."

Can anyone give me an answer and a rule to appeal the call? I need this asap too. :/ Thanks in advance.

just another ref Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:35am

You nailed it. An airborne player who jumps from backcourt still has backcourt status until he lands in the frontcourt.

BillyMac Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:37am

Give Him A Contract ...

Easy. Backcourt.

This is one of the best first posts I've ever seen from a nonofficial, be it a coach, or player, or fanboy. A well described situation, players properly identified, correct vocabulary, a quoted citation, a well thought out question, and an polite thank you.

FYI: Unlike baseball games, very few basketball games, with rare exception of the scorekeeper problem in a Heat game this year in the NBA, can be appealed.

Atreyu: Welcome to the Forum. Please contact your state athletic association and find out how to become a basketball official as soon as possible.

Atreyu Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:37am

Is there a rule that I could use to appeal this?
I don't want to print a forum page to try to get an appeal...
Help!

Atreyu Wed Feb 13, 2008 01:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
Easy. Backcourt.

This is one of the best first posts I've ever seen from a nonofficial, be it a coach, or player, or fanboy. A well described situation, players properly identified, a quoted citation, a well thought out question, and an polite thank you.

FYI: Unlike baseball games, very few basketball games, with rare exception of the scorekeeper problem in a Heat game this year in the NBA, can be appealed.

Atreyu: Welcome to the Forum. Please contact your state athletic association and find out how to become a basketball official as soon as possible.

Much appreciated. I have considered being either a basketball official or a teacher. The parts that isn't cool is that I'm only 19 and stuck in college. :)

just another ref Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:09am

4-35-3: The location of an airborne player is.........the same as at the time such player was last in contact with the floor.....

Atreyu Wed Feb 13, 2008 02:22am

4=35-3 ?
I'm not sure what that means.
What rule is it in the rulebook that I could look up?
I don't have a rulebook with me and I just want to have a rule to cite to the review board that says what you quoted.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks again for the help.

just another ref Wed Feb 13, 2008 03:00am

Are you playing under NFHS rules? If so, the rule I have suggested is rule 4, section 35, article 3. The portion of this rule which I cited should cover the situation you have inquired about. What more is it that you want?

Atreyu Wed Feb 13, 2008 03:11am

I found it. Thanks a ton for the help!
I just didn't want to print out the thread as my reason for having an appeal.
I just wanted to be able to find their rulebook and have the rule clearly stated for simplicity and clarity.

Thanks a million for the help. :)

grunewar Wed Feb 13, 2008 06:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atreyu
The parts that isn't cool is that I'm only 19 and stuck in college. :)

Not cool to be 19 and stuck in college? Is he kidding???? :eek:

I dare him to come back in 20 yrs and say that!!!