The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Found another pet peeve

Working a Girls contest and having my partner tell me that they only reason they are working the girls side is cuz there is no boys games going on. OR hearing an official say that they are going to scale back their season next year for health reasons and just do Girls.... MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM...
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmw
Working a Girls contest and having my partner tell me that they only reason they are working the girls side is cuz there is no boys games going on. OR hearing an official say that they are going to scale back their season next year for health reasons and just do Girls.... MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM...
except that the girls games are slower, less physical (athletically that is not the girl type of pushing), not as challenging. Just my opinion. And I can exert half the sweat doing a girls game than a boys game. Not that I work any less -- its just not at the same pace or level.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
except that the girls games are slower, less physical (athletically that is not the girl type of pushing), not as challenging. Just my opinion. And I can exert half the sweat doing a girls game than a boys game. Not that I work any less -- its just not at the same pace or level.
Sheez, deecee, that argument hasn't flown since about 1996, if then. You really need to get with the times.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Sheez, deecee, that argument hasn't flown since about 1996, if then. You really need to get with the times.
No, that argument is still much alive. People are just too PC to make the argument, now.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
I don't know, Juulie, what deecee wrote that isn't true:

(1) Games ARE slower
(2) Games ARE less physical
(3) It's just his opinion
(4) Officials run much harder in a typical boys game

Which of these do you disagree with? How much boys varsity do you actually work?
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
J,

Its honestly reality. Not that I have anything against girls games. I probably do more girls games than boys and I enjoy them. In fact I recognize a lot of the girls players from over the years and thats kinda nice. I am just saying the reality of it is that comparing girls basketball to boys basketball is apples to oranges when it comes to the level of skill afforded each side. Not saying that I have a higher utility for one or the other its just that it takes much more on the teams parts to make a girls game REALLY EXCITING simply because they are not as quick, agile, skillfull, fast, physical, strong, etc. as boys. That is just fact, not opinion.

J - I am not bashing girls, I am just stating that one is a higher degree of ability and skill than the other when it comes to basketball.

Last edited by deecee; Fri Feb 15, 2008 at 01:31pm.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 01:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN

(1) Games ARE slower

Which of these do you disagree with? How much boys varsity do you actually work?
Games are less physical?? Are you kidding? I would submit that you are missing a whole lot of crap going on in your girl's games if you really believe that...

Boy's games are faster (usually) and require more running, but they are also much easier to call - the fouls require very little judgement/thinking. Most female games require a whole lot more judgement, working to get better angles to see the play better, etc...
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 01:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Games are less physical?? Are you kidding? I would submit that you are missing a whole lot of crap going on in your girl's games if you really believe that...

Boy's games are faster (usually) and require more running, but they are also much easier to call - the fouls require very little judgement/thinking. Most female games require a whole lot more judgement, working to get better angles to see the play better, etc...
Legal physical play is what I was talking about.

And I would submit that your second paragraph is not accurate, at least not in my experience. Boys can work through contact and that makes the advantage/disadvantage decision harder. Girls: Bump, down, foul. Anyone can call those.

That said, a good girls game played by two top teams is a treat. The 91-19 game is not a treat (and it's almost never that the boys games are blowouts to this degree).
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Short list of peeves:

Partners who do not communicate/make eye contact with you.

Players who do not pick up the ball.

Scorekeepers who don't care or are sloppy.

Dirty floors.

Know it all fans, who don't know basketball from jai-lai

Meek whistles

Coaches
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 01:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Pet peeve?

Folks who think that all ref's should have the same on-court personality.

In a tight gym with fans right on top of the court you best believe I will have a few short (very short) verbal interactions with fans especially during a full time-out when I'm the officials holding down the throw-in spot.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN

(1) Games ARE slower

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of it, except that it's his opinion. I just said that we've had this argument repeatedly over the years, and it's passe. The current, trendy topic is pet peeves, which kim expressed.

How much boys' varsity I work is completely irrelevant to any of it.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 02:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with any of it, except that it's his opinion. I just said that we've had this argument repeatedly over the years, and it's passe. The current, trendy topic is pet peeves, which kim expressed.

How much boys' varsity I work is completely irrelevant to any of it.
I agree. Arguing this is passe.

I love working girls games when they are competitive. No different than boys games, in that respect.
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Mine:

#1 by far - When my partner in the lead comes out with a foul on a drive that's coming from my primary and gets it wrong. Especially when it's a bang-bang block/charge and I'm coming in selling it hard. I always cover this in pre-game, even when I am not the R.

#2 - Partners that put the ball on the floor after a timeout and start a count. I know some of you robots out there will do this, but it's very bush league IMO. I feel it makes us look like we think we are above the game.

#3 - Partners that work too high in the slot. Having two trails is not why we have three-man crews. Get your a$$ free throw line extended or below. Especially when we all have the same interpreter who teaches "when in doubt, go low".
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refneck
Mine:

#2 - Partners that put the ball on the floor after a timeout and start a count. I know some of you robots out there will do this, but it's very bush league IMO. I feel it makes us look like we think we are above the game.
Sooooo, when a team is consistently slow and late coming out of times-out what is it you think the robots should do instead?

ps: also a pet peeve--"Partners that put the ball..."; should be "Partners who put the ball..."
Old Fri Feb 15, 2008, 03:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refneck
Mine:

Hmmmmmm....interesting.

One of my pet peeves happens to be partners who don't have the ....um....testicular fortitude to use the resuming play procedure because they're afraid that a coach might say something nasty to them. They'll do anything to avoid any kind of confrontation, including practically begging coaches to come out of their huddle. Their favorite excuse is that it's "good game management" ("bush league" works too ). Jmo, but I think those kind of officials are in the wrong avocation.