The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Easy game, nice change of pace (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41830-easy-game-nice-change-pace.html)

Rich Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02pm

Easy game, nice change of pace

20 minutes from the house. Makeup game with no JV scheduled for 6PM. 20 point game at the half. 79-60 final. In the car at 7:28PM.

Sometimes, it's nice to get one of these, especially after driving 3.5 hours on a sheet of ice on Saturday.

truerookie Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Sometimes, it's nice to get one of these, especially after driving 3.5 hours on a sheet of ice on Saturday.

How was the sheet of ice ride for you? I live in Missouri we got the sheet of ice today very entertaining.

Rich Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
How was the sheet of ice ride for you? I live in Missouri we got the sheet of ice today very entertaining.

54 miles up I-39 Saturday night. Between 25-30 MPH the whole way. I slid into the other lane twice and almost went into a spin. 4 cars in the ditch, including one I saw slide helplessly into it. 2 tractor-trailers jack-knifed.

All the way home I kept saying to myself, "I gotta be f---ing stupid. All this to work one boys basketball game for $53."

grunewar Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:25am

We NEVER have this problem in VA. The state basically shuts down when we get precipitation and the temps are under 35o. All Federal employees are given liberal leave - no school, no traffic and no games! :rolleyes:

Scrapper1 Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:39am

I have a 2 hour drive tonight and it's supposed to start snowing hard right before game time. By the time the game is done and I get close to home, the roads should be a royal PITA.

truerookie Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I have a 2 hour drive tonight and it's supposed to start snowing hard right before game time. By the time the game is done and I get close to home, the roads should be a royal PITA.

Scrap, if you don't mind report back to let us know you made it there and back safely. ;)

Bearfanmike20 Tue Feb 12, 2008 01:34pm

I though it was the sh1t of ice.... ??

Junker Tue Feb 12, 2008 01:42pm

Along those same lines, last week, due to weather, my main assignor asked me to give up a game 30 minutes away and go do one an hour away. I did it and a buddy of mine ended up taking my game 30 minutes away. My double header included 2 really close games, nothing from coaches or players outside of asking questions, and was in general, exactly what you want out of a night at the office. My buddy that took my place, overtime and 4 T's on the night. I guess I got lucky for once. :D

Back In The Saddle Tue Feb 12, 2008 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junker
Along those same lines, last week, due to weather, my main assignor asked me to give up a game 30 minutes away and go do one an hour away. I did it and a buddy of mine ended up taking my game 30 minutes away. My double header included 2 really close games, nothing from coaches or players outside of asking questions, and was in general, exactly what you want out of a night at the office. My buddy that took my place, overtime and 4 T's on the night. I guess I got lucky for once. :D

You sure it was the game, and not the official? ;)

Scrapper1 Wed Feb 13, 2008 09:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Scrap, if you don't mind report back to let us know you made it there and back safely. ;)

Made it fine. The roads were bad, but it only took me an extra hour to get home. Drove 35-45 most of the way. Only a couple nutjobs out on the roads to make me nervous.

Thanks for being concerned. :)

Rich Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:01am

Had about an hour drive last night for a boys game.

Coming home we hit some fog. Zero freaking degrees and it's foggy outside. Could see about 20 feet in front of the car.

Working the games is easy. It's getting there and getting home lately that's been hard.