The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kansas/ISU officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4170-kansas-isu-officials.html)

ChuckElias Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:28am

Anybody know why the Kansas/ISU game last night ended with only 2 officials on the floor? I was watching the second half last night and realized that they were working a 2-man game. Watched the highlights this morning and they had 3-man in the first half?

Anybody know who dropped out and why? Nothing serious, I hope.

Chuck

devdog69 Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:56am

Chuck,
I didn't personally see it, but my girlfriend said it looked like the other guy went out with an achilles injury. Didn't sound good. She said he was trying to be tough, but that you could see the sweat beads popping out on his forehead and said it looked like he was in quite a bit of pain.

BktBallRef Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:03am

It was me Chuck. I had to be home by 11pm. ;)

The three officials were Steve Welmer, Ted Hillary, and Steve Olson. I didn't find anything on the Net so, maybe someone will enlighten us.

devdog69 Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:16am

I wanna say Welmer was the one that was injured.

johnSandlin Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:20am

Steve Olsen was the one that was injured. Welmer and Hillary finished. I did not watch until the second half myself, but Olsen was the one that was missing due to injury.

ChuckElias Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:43am

That's too bad, and I wish him a speedy recovery. I also feel bad for the 2 guys that stayed to finish the game. It can't be easy to do a Big 12 game with a 2-man crew.

Chuck

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 19, 2002 02:11pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I also feel bad for the 2 guys that stayed to finish the game. It can't be easy to do a Big 12 game with a 2-man crew.

Chuck

Back in my day,everybody used 2-man crews.Didn't need no sissy 3-man stuff!:D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 19, 2002 02:12pm

I feel their pain too, but Rock Chawk Jayhawk Kaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChuckElias Tue Feb 19, 2002 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
[/B]
Back in my day,everybody used 2-man crews.Didn't need no sissy 3-man stuff!:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Hardy-har-haaarrrrrr! Nobody likes a smart-aleck kid, JR! (good thing you're not a kid!!) LOL :)

Chuck

[Edited by ChuckElias on Feb 19th, 2002 at 01:26 PM]

Dan_ref Tue Feb 19, 2002 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I feel their pain too, but Rock Chawk Jayhawk Kaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark sit down. You're scaring the kids.

Dan_ref Tue Feb 19, 2002 02:44pm

Quote:

Speaking of back in your day what did they use to cover
the ball before the invention of leather? :D

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 19, 2002 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Speaking of back in your day what did they use to cover
the ball before the invention of leather? :D

We used cowhide over a pig's bladder.Or was that football?Anyway,we scratched the lines on the ball with a piece of flint.Then we sent all the balls to what is now known as the "Upper Peninsula" of Michigan to be blown up.The guys U.P. there are real good at that!:D

zebra44 Tue Feb 19, 2002 04:26pm

I know you are trying to bait Mick, but as one of his partners I'd just like to say "Shut U.P!

Dan_ref Tue Feb 19, 2002 04:27pm

Quote:

We used cowhide over a pig's bladder.Or was that football?Anyway,we scratched the lines on the ball with a piece of flint.Then we sent all the balls to what is now known as the "Upper Peninsula" of Michigan to be blown up.The guys U.P. there are real good at that!:D
LOL!

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 19, 2002 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebra44
I know you are trying to bait Mick, but as one of his partners I'd just like to say "Shut U.P!
Nope,wasn't trying to "bait" Mick at all.Got too much respect for him to do that.Just having a little fun.I'll try to stop doing that!

BktBallRef Tue Feb 19, 2002 09:54pm

Quote:

Yeah but didn't they also play 6 on 6 back then, too? :D

BTW, mick's not as old as Dino is. But he damn sure looks it! Whew!! :)

Jurassic Referee Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Yeah but didn't they also play 6 on 6 back then, too? :D

[/B]
Yup,the girls played 6 on 6 when I first started.Just a wonderful set of rules.Only 2 dribbles allowed-3rd dribble was a violation.Three defenders who couldn't go into the front 1/3 of the court and never shot,and 3 offensive players who couldn't go into the back 1/3 of the court for defense.I think Iowa or Montana or somewhere played 6 on 6 in the girls game until a coupla years ago.If I remember right,most everyone else changed in the very early 60's.
So endeth to-night's useless history lesson.:D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:29pm

When I was a kid we walked five miles in the snow to school each way and it was up hill both ways.

BktBallRef Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:32pm

Quote:

When I was a kid we walked five miles in the snow to school each way and it was up hill both ways.
Once while walking to school, my dad killed a bear with his book bag. And of course,the book bag had been handed down through 7 brothers and sisters! It was tough in the good old days! :D

Or so I've heard.

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 20, 2002 05:11am

Quote:

Thats funny,Mark!You have a personality transplant?:D

mick Wed Feb 20, 2002 08:21am

A guy sits U.P. here trying to mind his own business....

JR: Yeah, we've got balls U.P. here.
zebra44: Thanks for covering by back.
BktBallRef: If they don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

devdog69 Wed Feb 20, 2002 09:42am

Quote:

That explains a lot of things to me.

Dan_ref Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:18am

Quote:

Quote:

Once while walking to school, my dad killed a bear with his book bag. And of course,the book bag had been handed down through 7 brothers and sisters! It was tough in the good old days! :D

Or so I've heard.

Once while taking the subway to school I warded off a
mugger with my bookbag. (The mayor's office wants me to
say that was way-back-when, today's NYC is safer than
Disneyland. Can I go now officer?)

mick Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:28am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref

Once while taking the subway to school I warded off a
mugger with my bookbag. (The mayor's office wants me to
say that was way-back-when, today's NYC is safer than
Disneyland. Can I go now officer?)

Sparky,
I understand the interest in Martial Arts.
I wasn't the philosphy. It was the action.
mick

rockyroad Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:19am

Hey Mick, do you wear those cool Red Green suspenders too? Gotta love that Possum Lodge Pledge...

mick Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Hey Mick, do you wear those cool Red Green suspenders too? Gotta love that Possum Lodge Pledge...
dj,
They broke.
...found some duct tape out in the shed.
mick

JugglingReferee Wed Feb 20, 2002 06:19pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
I also feel bad for the 2 guys that stayed to finish the game. It can't be easy to do a Big 12 game with a 2-man crew.

Chuck

2-man? Heck, it was 1-man mechanics back then.

..Mike

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 20, 2002 07:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JugglingReferee
[/B]
Back in my day,everybody used 2-man crews.Didn't need no sissy 3-man stuff!:D [/B][/QUOTE]

2-man? Heck, it was 1-man mechanics back then.

..Mike [/B][/QUOTE]Abuse,nothing but abuse!Lucky I have a strong back,strong shoulders,and a thick head!:D

BktBallRef Wed Feb 20, 2002 09:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
dj,
They broke.
mick

C'mon mick, be honest. You found that roll of duct tape on the dash of your truck, under the old styrofoam coffee cups, next to the Black & Decker cordless drill. :D

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Feb 20, 2002 09:51pm

Quote:

Quote:

Thats funny,Mark!You have a personality transplant?:D

JR, thank you for the nice comment in that other discussion board concerning "offensive" fouls. I would email you but you won't let anybody email you.

abergman Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:21pm

heey der, we ain't all dat bad up here

Just cause I drove my truck 120 miles last night to do a game in a place called Newberry and only went through 3 cities. Drove passed a place called the Generic Motel, Poorboys restaurant, and Pickleman's Pantry. Did a close game decided by last second shot miss. Snuck back out to the truck knowing everyone who was at the game has a shotgun in there truck. Then on the way home took me 3 and half hours because of the foot of the snow on the ground. Why do we live here guys? Oh yeah, must be all the Finlander women. And I don't mean the ones at FU
(Finlandia University) :)

Bergy

mick Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:36pm

Re: heey der, we ain't all dat bad up here

Quote:

Originally posted by abergman
Just cause I drove my truck 120 miles last night to do a game in a place called Newberry and only went through 3 cities. Drove passed a place called the Generic Motel, Poorboys restaurant, and Pickleman's Pantry. Did a close game decided by last second shot miss. Snuck back out to the truck knowing everyone who was at the game has a shotgun in there truck. Then on the way home took me 3 and half hours because of the foot of the snow on the ground. Why do we live here guys? Oh yeah, must be all the Finlander women. And I don't mean the ones at FU
(Finlandia University) :)

Bergy

FU is where I "T'd" my last coach.
Bergy's game was a city on Lake Michigan playing at a city on Lake Superior.
Bergy forgot to mention the Seney Stretch, 25 miles of straight, level highway with trees and swamp on the right and with trees and swamp on the other right.
Nice local color tour, Bergy!

mick Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:43pm

You think yer so smart.

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
dj,
They broke.
mick

C'mon mick, be honest. You found that roll of duct tape on the dash of your truck, under the old styrofoam coffee cups, next to the Black & Decker cordless drill. :D

Tony,
You don't know everything.
... it was a Panasonic drill, and one of the cups wasn't that old.
mick

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 21, 2002 06:18am

Quote:

Just cause I drove my truck 120 miles last night to do a game in a place called Newberry and only went through 3 cities.
Is that the Newberry that is just south of the world famous "Tahquamenon River Logging Museum"?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 21st, 2002 at 05:23 AM]

mick Sat Feb 23, 2002 02:39pm

Quote:

Quote:

Just cause I drove my truck 120 miles last night to do a game in a place called Newberry and only went through 3 cities.
Is that the Newberry that is just south of the world famous "Tahquamenon River Logging Museum"?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Feb 21st, 2002 at 05:23 AM]

Looks like Bergy went back to baseball.
Yeah, JR, that's the place.
mick