The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Comments please (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41689-comments-please.html)

fullor30 Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:30pm

Comments please

Was at a boys varsity game a few nights ago and in transition, A1 received a pass coming from front court and possibly committing a bc violation.

I say possibly, because I'm not sure, I'm more apt to say BC. This all happened 6 feet in front of new C who had his eyes glued to the play. A few moans from the crowd, and the new lead toots and runs over from other side and signals bc violation in front of C. Now, new trail joins the fun and they have a discussion, I'm sure he couldn't have had a good look. They go with BC and play on.

To me, I'm not fishing in C's pond. It could have gone either way, and both coaches never said a peep, just a few fans close to play who moaned about everything all night. The crew had a good game overall, and are good officials.

Am I wrong in thinking that new lead should have passed? Certainly a tipped pass or shot that you have definite knowledge on is something different.

I'm sure new lead had a good look as he was slow in transition and right at line to get a good look, yet cross court right in front of partner. He may have been 110% right.

Thoughts?

JRutledge Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:35pm

The only way I can see a new L making such a call is if the play happens right in front of them. If the C had a better look or they were on top of the play, the new L should leave it alone.

Peace

IREFU2 Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:38pm

Thats why in transition we run with out heads looking back so we can have an opinion on whats going on during play. I say, good call for the lead, unless he is way down on the baseline, miles away from the play. I would ask what was the trail doing at this time as well????

fullor30 Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
The only way I can see a new L making such a call is if the play happens right in front of them. If the C had a better look or they were on top of the play, the new L should leave it alone.

Peace

I think the shocked look on C's face and the slumped shoulders was enough body language for me. That said, new lead may have been right. But why was he looking over there in the first place? I'd like to think I'm busting my
tush to get in position.

MadCityRef Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:48pm

Why have three out there if L and T are gonna poach anyway?

IREFU2 Thu Feb 07, 2008 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCityRef
Why have three out there if L and T are gonna poach anyway?

Because we all are a team and help each other out. We are a team of officials and the key is getting the call correct!!!!:D

Adam Thu Feb 07, 2008 04:04pm

Meanwhile, while L is looking at the division line, the three guys in the paint are killing each other jockeying for position.

No way in hell I see this. And if I do see it, I'm going to be pretty sure my partner had something different since he was so much closer.

IREFU2 Thu Feb 07, 2008 04:08pm

Of course common sense is needed as well. If you have match ups in your primary, then of course you wont be looking up there.....

Raymond Thu Feb 07, 2008 04:18pm

tomegun must be busy otherwise I'm sure he'd have a field day with this situation. I expect him to be in here shortly.

I know I had a complete brain-freeze earlier this year and blew my whistle for a supposed violation I had no business looking at right in front of my partner. I gave no preliminary as to my call. We got together and went with an inadvertent whistle and put the ball back in play. My partner was understandably peeved about the play and all I could do was say "my f**k up" when we got together on the next time-out.

Jurassic Referee Thu Feb 07, 2008 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Meanwhile, while L is looking at the division line, the three guys in the paint are killing each other jockeying for position.

No way in hell I see this. And if I do see it, I'm going to be pretty sure my partner had something different since he was so much closer.

Gee, you just gotta help out the C who's 6 feet away from the play with an unrestricted view, don't you?

If I'm the C, I'm gonna kick the L in the nuts and tell him never to do that again. If I like the guy though, I might wait until we're in the dressing room before doing so.

fullor30 Thu Feb 07, 2008 05:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Thats why in transition we run with out heads looking back so we can have an opinion on whats going on during play. I say, good call for the lead, unless he is way down on the baseline, miles away from the play. I would ask what was the trail doing at this time as well????

Only trouble is he had 4-5 players ahead of him.

Trail was trail where he should have been.

Back In The Saddle Fri Feb 08, 2008 03:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2

Knowing that the L can't resist calling stuff all over the floor, the trail wisely decided to watch the post players set up. After all, the L wasn't watching them :rolleyes:

If I'm transitioning to L in three man, I'm watching the first wave of defenders and the players they're going to be defending. If there's nothing there, then I may look at the play behind me. But I won't be looking on-ball. That's the C and T's job. I'll be looking off-ball.

The only way I'm taking a BC call as L in transition is if it's a quick steal and for some reason the dribbler commits a BC right in front of me. And that ain't very likely to happen.