The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Now I have no idea what the ref said to him, but they both ended up smiling and the problem was solved.
Maybe he said, "Is that a possession indicator in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Don't sell yourself short, dude.
How else could he sell himself?
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
How else could he sell himself?
Don't know. I've never been to Hackensack.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:19pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Don't know. I've never been to Hackensack.
Luckily, neither have I. But I hear it's a happening place!
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Killian
I'm mainly a lurker on this board but feel I have to speak out for the minority on this one. The result was fine, the method was not. If you feel you need to get rid of a fan, use game management. The method used in this case, while humorous, is not the way to deal with the situation. I totally agree with those who said it we as officials need to above this type of behavior.

Mark, off the court, go ahead and blast away with both barrels but while on the court, representing all of us, please show a little constraint, for all of our benefit.
Agree.

100% wrong.

And level of ball has nothing to do with it.
What if he's "waiting" for you outside?
What are you showing the kids? Making fun off someone is the answer to how to handle those situations?
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Agree.

100% wrong.

And level of ball has nothing to do with it.
What if he's "waiting" for you outside?
What are you showing the kids? Making fun off someone is the answer to how to handle those situations?
Let's see, the official used the jerk's own methods against him, and the jerk went away. No confrontation. No need to get some "authority" involved. No violence. A bully was stood up to and the problem was solved. Hmmmm, wouldn't want that lesson on display for impressionable kids.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
Let's see, the official used the jerk's own methods against him, and the jerk went away. No confrontation. No need to get some "authority" involved. No violence. A bully was stood up to and the problem was solved. Hmmmm, wouldn't want that lesson on display for impressionable kids.
Based upon this statement, since the fan was a jerk due to his methods and the official used those methods against him, then the official must also be a jerk. Also, there was a confrontation, it just (luckily) didn't escalate to violence.

I agree that a bully needs to be stood up against, but it needs to be done with a measure of decorum. Regardless of poorly some schmuck acts, the official should not stoop to the schmuck's level. Even if this is in a rec league, there should still be a gym administrator or someone in charge of the facility to take care of the problem.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Sigh...and when that impressionable kid decides to ridicule some other kid at school because that's what he saw the ref do at his game last night, you're OK with that?? I'll give you two of your
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Let's see, if the Official ignored the jerks methods, still no confrontation, no need for "authority", no violence, and only one adult looks like a jerk.

Which is the better impression, again?
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachP
Let's see, if the Official ignored the jerks methods, still no confrontation, no need for "authority", no violence, and only one adult looks like a jerk.

Which is the better impression, again?
Let's see, Official ignores the jerks methods, jerk continues, maybe spurs other probing jerks in the stands, players start complaining or showing attitude on the court.

Sorry, did that once, shame on jerkboy, if I did that again, shame on me......

Again, other fans in the stands, who probably aren't going to say anything to said jerk, are having there watching experience soured. Take care of it. If you have game admin. come in and take him out, he's still going to be embarrassed/ticked off. Which ever works........
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Sigh...and when that impressionable kid decides to ridicule some other kid at school because that's what he saw the ref do at his game last night, you're OK with that?? I'll give you two of your
Apples and oranges. Official in OP never STARTED anything, he just finished it.

If my kid takes crap from some punk at school and he can retaliate with a swift verbal comment (non-vulgar) to shut him up, more power to him. I sincerely doubt that would end him up in the principal's office. I'll give you two eye winks
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Did not!

Did too!

Waaahhhhh!

I'm holding my breath!

(I didn't think this all out well.)
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92
Let's see, Official ignores the jerks methods, jerk continues, maybe spurs other probing jerks in the stands,
I'm guessing there's one in every gym. Gonna jump on a soapbox every game?

Quote:
players start complaining or showing attitude on the court.
There ya go, something by rule you can address.

Quote:
If you have game admin. come in and take him out, he's still going to be embarrassed/ticked off. Which ever works........
There ya go, something by rule you can address.
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
If my kid takes crap from some punk at school and he can retaliate with a swift verbal comment (non-vulgar) to shut him up, more power to him. I sincerely doubt that would end him up in the principal's office. I'll give you two eye winks
But you know, of course, that that is seldom the way it works. It's usually more like this: Punk throws crap at kid; kid responds with swift, verbal comment; punk beats sh!t out of kid.

Anyway, let's get back to really interesting things - like when does a held ball actually "occur" on a shot attempt? When the ball is touched by the defender, or when the shooter lands with the ball??
Old Fri Feb 08, 2008, 03:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
But you know, of course, that that is seldom the way it works. It's usually more like this: Punk throws crap at kid; kid responds with swift, verbal comment; punk beats sh!t out of kid.
You went to school with Jurassic's grand kids, didn't you? You've got issues.