The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player Control or Block (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41536-player-control-block.html)

regs1234 Thu Jan 31, 2008 08:14pm

Player Control or Block

Play 1:

(a) A1 catches a pass in mid-air and B1 slides into a spot while A1 is in the air and there is a crash as A1 lands.

This would be a block correct bc B1 was not there before A1 elited?

(b) A1 catches a pass in mid-air with his back to B1 and B1 had already established this position before A1 elited, there is a crash as A1 lands.

Player control foul?

Play2:

A1 catches a pass with both feet on the ground, elites into a jump stop. As A1 elites on jump stop B1 (who had legal guarding positon before A1 elited) moves forward into the space that A1 is jumping into. Upon landing A1 and
B1 crash.

Block because B1 moved into this positon while A1 was in the air?

Please respond. Thanks.

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by regs1234
Play 1:

(a) A1 catches a pass in mid-air and B1 slides into a spot while A1 is in the air and there is a crash as A1 lands.

I think so. I'm not understanding your use of the word "elite". Do you mean "elevate?"

Quote:

(b) A1 catches a pass in mid-air with his back to B1 and B1 had already established this position before A1 elited, there is a crash as A1 lands.

Player control foul?

Again, probably, depending on your def of elite.

Quote:

Play2:

A1 catches a pass with both feet on the ground, elites into a jump stop. As A1 elites on jump stop B1 (who had legal guarding positon before A1 elited) moves forward into the space that A1 is jumping into. Upon landing A1 and
B1 crash.

Ditto above responses.

regs1234 Thu Jan 31, 2008 08:40pm

Yes elevate (or elevated) or airborne. Sorry about the bad grammar.

rainmaker Thu Jan 31, 2008 09:06pm

Quote:

Yes elevate (or elevated) or airborne. Sorry about the bad grammar.

Then it looks to me like you have a good understanding of the rules involved. You're right on all counts.

btaylor64 Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:15pm

Quote:

Play 1:

Player control foul?

Play2:

B1 crash.

Please respond. Thanks.

Major props for understanding the rules and for attempting to use the correct terminology of the game. I think you were looking for the word alight?

bob jenkins Fri Feb 01, 2008 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor64
Major props for understanding the rules and for attempting to use the correct terminology of the game. I think you were looking for the word alight?

Maybe, but that's just as confusing -- "alight" means "land"

mbyron Fri Feb 01, 2008 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Maybe, but that's just as confusing -- "alight" means "land"

Or 'on fire'. Oh, wait, I guess that doesn't help either. :o

rainmaker Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron
Or 'on fire'. Oh, wait, I guess that doesn't help either. :o

Build a man a fire, and he'll have comfort for one night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Adam Fri Feb 01, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Build a man a fire, and he'll have comfort for one night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

That's so beautiful, I could cry.

just another ref Fri Feb 01, 2008 02:26pm

Quote:

Play2:

B1 crash.

Please respond. Thanks.

Again depending on what this verb means, if A1 had both feet on the floor when he caught the pass, I'm not sure if he can elite or not, but I'm sure he cannot legally land while still holding the ball.

elite: 12 spaces per inch, as opposed to pica, which has 10 spaces per inch

elite: a particular model of the Ford Grand Torino back in the '70's

rockyroad Fri Feb 01, 2008 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
That's so beautiful, I could cry.

You are a sick, sick man! :p

Move over Jurassic - it's starting to get crowded down there!!