The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   actionless after halftime ends (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41403-actionless-after-halftime-ends.html)

RefLarry Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:12pm

actionless after halftime ends

Team A was to inbound the ball after halftime ends. However,team A walked into the gym and on the court just before play resumed. Their visiting locker room is down two flights of stairs and a long walk from the gym. Play was resumed as subs walked to the bench.

Rule 10 ART. 5…Fail to have all players return to the court at approximately the same time following a time-out or intermission.

I was a spectator.

If team A did not make it to the court on time for their throw-in a techincal would be likely.

Did somebody have the obligation of advising visiting Team A that there was one minute remaining in the half? If so,who has that duty?

Thanks for your replies.

IdahoRef Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:22pm

Game Administration was to notify both teams and maybe did or maybe did not. As a coach I always have my assistant checking the time for me and take on the responsibility of being on the court at the right time.

rainmaker Sun Jan 27, 2008 02:02pm

It's game administration's job. We are supposed to remind them to do this before we leave the gym at halftime. Regardless, if they're not IN THE GYM when it's time to start, the rule is to wait one minute, have the timer click it off, and then issue a team technical foul. The RPP does not apply in this particular situation.

The citation about failing to return to the court at approximately the same time only applies to players getting onto the playing court, not subs coming into the gym. That is, if five players come running in, coach is there, players get the game underway just as subs are coming in the door, I don't think that citation is invoked. Although I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice).

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 27, 2008 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
It's game administration's job. We are supposed to remind them to do this before we leave the gym at halftime. Regardless, if they're not IN THE GYM when it's time to start, the rule is to wait one minute, have the timer click it off, and then issue a team technical foul. The RPP does not apply in this particular situation.

The citation about failing to return to the court at approximately the same time only applies to players getting onto the playing court, not subs coming into the gym. That is, if five players come running in, coach is there, players get the game underway just as subs are coming in the door, I don't think that citation is invoked. Although I could be wrong (it's happened once or twice).

Juulie:

You nailed this one. Atta boy, oops, I mean girl. :D

MTD, Sr.

rainmaker Sun Jan 27, 2008 03:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Juulie:

You nailed this one. Atta boy, oops, I mean girl. :D

MTD, Sr.

Yup, all the stuff on delay and RPP that I wrote on the paid side helped me as well as my readers.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 27, 2008 03:47pm

Quote:

Yup, all the stuff on delay and RPP that I wrote on the paid side helped me as well as my readers.

Juulie:

Do I get an after the fact consulting fee from you then. I promise to count on my Schedule C for 2008. :D

MTD, Sr.

rainmaker Sun Jan 27, 2008 03:51pm

Quote:

Juulie:

Do I get an after the fact consulting fee from you then. I promise to count on my Schedule C for 2008. :D

MTD, Sr.

Ask Carl. He's the money guy.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun Jan 27, 2008 03:55pm

Quote:

Ask Carl. He's the money guy.

Would that be like getting blood out of a turnip.

MTD, Sr.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 27, 2008 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RefLarry

Did somebody have the obligation of advising visiting Team A that there was one minute remaining in the half? If so,who has that duty?

The refereee has the obligation of making sure someone notifies each team. (2-4-4)

rainmaker Sun Jan 27, 2008 04:01pm

Quote:

Would that be like getting blood out of a turnip.

MTD, Sr.

Yup, just a round about way for me to answer your question by saying, "NOT!!"

BillyMac Sun Jan 27, 2008 04:06pm

Three Minutes ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
The refereee has the obligation of making sure someone notifies each team. (2-4-4)

I believe at the three minute mark ??

I'm too lazy to get my rule book out of my bag, but here in Connecticut, the referee, at the beginning of every halftime, reminds the timekeeper to get both teams and the officials at the three minute mark.