The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Artifical Noisemakers (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41305-artifical-noisemakers.html)

SCalScoreKeeper Thu Jan 24, 2008 02:30am

Artifical Noisemakers

I had an interesting situation involving artifical noisemakers tonight!

Happened in a varsity girls game!

Officials THREE times ask game management to make an announcement stating that the use of artifical noise makers is against CIF-SS rules. On the third warning we state that the officials will if necessary clear that side of the gym and they ask for a faculty supervisor (In this situation the Varsity Boys Coach) to meet with us tableside. During this meeting the officials asked him to be helpful and enforce the rule by securing the devices. He says something to the effect of "You ref the game and I'll worry about my fans." The section eventually complies but my question is this:
How would you have handled the coach's comments?

Ed Maeder Thu Jan 24, 2008 02:41am

I'd ask for a real administrator and make sure they knew how you were dealt with by the boys coach. This reminds me of a time where we were working a game and were having trouble with a person that was standing near the end line. At half time the ref asked for the administrator to come to our dressing room. When he entered the ref about flipped. The administrator was the person we were having trouble with. I think they are supposed to work with us instead of against us.

Camron Rust Thu Jan 24, 2008 02:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper
I had an interesting situation involving artifical noisemakers tonight!

Happened in a varsity girls game!

Officials THREE times ask game management to make an announcement stating that the use of artifical noise makers is against CIF-SS rules. On the third warning we state that the officials will if necessary clear that side of the gym and they ask for a faculty supervisor (In this situation the Varsity Boys Coach) to meet with us tableside. During this meeting the officials asked him to be helpful and enforce the rule by securing the devices. He says something to the effect of "You ref the game and I'll worry about my fans." The section eventually complies but my question is this:

Depending on the tone, that could be taken as equivalent to "No problem, I'll take care of you, you guys get back to the game".

Ed Maeder Thu Jan 24, 2008 02:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Depending on the tone, that could be taken as equivalent to "No problem, I'll take care of you, you guys get back to the game".

Agreed

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 24, 2008 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper
He says something to the effect of "You ref the game and I'll worry about my fans." The section eventually complies but my question is this:

"OK, coach, we will. Of course you understand that reffing the game includes the authority to issue technical fouls and even declare a forfeit."