The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA Travel (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41303-nba-travel.html)

Gimlet25id Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:40am

NBA Travel

I'm curious. Does anybody know if travel is defined differently in the NBA then say NCAA/FED?

Seen a replay of James on ESPN tonight where he picks up the ball with his left foot down off a dribble, steps right foot hits, steps, left foot hits (second time) lay-up.

I'm wondering if the NBA rule allows this play. I've seen it several times.

NM_Ref Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:42am

I don't think there is such a call in the NBA :D

just another ref Thu Jan 24, 2008 01:10am

NBA Travel

Want to find a definition? Look up oxymoron in the dictionary.

JRutledge Thu Jan 24, 2008 02:32am

I do not know if all the rules are in place, but I can tell you it is called often. I would suggest they just do not nitpick it like people at the lower levels do. In other words, they might let a little step go where a HS official might call what looks funny but is not a travel. It all balances out if you ask me.

Peace

JLMatthew Thu Jan 24, 2008 03:38am

Yes the rule is defined differently. As described the play is legal under NBA rules. The NBA rules allow a two-count when gathering to shoot or when stopping after picking up a dribble.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 24, 2008 07:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
In other words, they might let a little step go where a HS official might call what looks funny but is not a travel.

They also let a whole bunch of steps go that is a travel everywhere else in the world. I gave up trying to figure out what traveling actually is in the NBA. It's impossible.

Nevadaref Thu Jan 24, 2008 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLMatthew
Yes the rule is defined differently. As described the play is legal under NBA rules. The NBA rules allow a two-count when gathering to shoot or when stopping after picking up a dribble.

But it has never really been clear what that means. I'll check and try to get a specific answer for you.

CoachP Thu Jan 24, 2008 08:22am

No wonder its rarely called!

Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.
f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 24, 2008 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I'll check and try to get a specific answer for you.

SECTION XIV-Traveling
a) A player is allowed to take as many steps as he can while an official is counting to 2.
b) Officials shall count slower for stars.

It's true, it's true.......