The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul After Made Shot. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41154-foul-after-made-shot.html)

tnsteele95 Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:32am

Foul After Made Shot.

Player A shoots a jumper which goes through, player B running out to defend runs into player A after ball has traveled through the basket. Is this 1 free throw added on as a shooting foul, or is the an "on the floor" foul as the shot had already been completed? Rec league ref so bear with me if this sounds silly. This situation caused a big mess at a recent ball game.

Chess Ref Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:35am

How I judge this is if Player A has returned to the floor it's an after the shot foul. If player A is still in the air I have a free throw.

Be prepared for strange looks when you call it after the shot.:(

Gimlet25id Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnsteele95
Player A shoots a jumper which goes through, player B running out to defend runs into player A after ball has traveled through the basket. Is this 1 free throw added on as a shooting foul, or is the an "on the floor" foul as the shot had already been completed? Rec league ref so bear with me if this sounds silly. This situation caused a big mess at a recent ball game.

If the A player hasn't completed their shooting motion or in this case landing then this would be a foul on a player while in the act of shooting, basket good plus free throw.

If the shooter had landed after the shot then the player is no longer in the act of shooting therefore this would be a common foul.

BayStateRef Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:38am

Once the ball has gone through the net, it is a dead ball and remains dead until it is as the other team's disposal for a throw-in. Contact during a dead ball is either ignored (as incidental) or is a technical foul for intentional or flagrant contact.

If your scenario changed a bit...the player shot, returned to the floor and was fouled before the ball went through the basket, you then have a common non-shooting foul. If the ball enters the basket, score the hoop and penalize the foul. Ball either out-of-bounds to the shooting team or bonus foul shots.

Coltdoggs Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:38am

Yup, what those guys said...look to see if shooter is still in the air or has landed...NO ball watching! ;)

cmathews Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:38am

careful

I agree if it is before A comes back to the ground, then A is still an airborne shooter and it is a shooting foul. If it is after A has come down, and the ball has gone through the net, then this contact occurs during a dead ball. If it occurs during a dead ball, ignore it unless it is intentional or flagrant.....

edit: too late darn you guys are fast today LOL :D

Gimlet25id Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStateRef
.... you then have a common non-shooting foul....

Is there a such thing as a "common shooting foul?" ;)

BillyMac Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:02pm

Duck ....

Quote:

"On the floor" foul .

Warning. Watch out. Here it comes.............

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07pm

Quote:

"on the floor"

AAAGGGHHH!!! OH HOW MY EARS HURT!!!

MTD, Sr.