Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
After being seatbelted, a coach can legally stand:
1) during a timeout or intermission.
2) to spontaneously react to an outstanding play by a team member, but he/she must immediately sit back down.
3) To request a timeout or to signal one of his players to call a TO.
4) to replace a disqualified player.

That's it.

Rule 10-5NOTES1 is the rules reference.
UH . . . what he said . . . IF the coach doesn't know that rule, shame on him/her. IF they did know the rule, then s/he was testing your fortitude . . . bet that doesn't happen again.

BTW, I read your original post about the entire incident . . . and, do I think you could have handled some things better, yes. Am I questioning your judgement no. We have all had our first 37 games, and I thank GOD that I made it past them, because I stunk up the entire gym for about my first 100. Unless you go and ask some of the coaches I have had in the last couple years (ha ha). Hang in there, find some good mentors, read and learn the rulebook, and learn to relax and be more patient. Everything will fall into place. Best of luck.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you serious? You'd let a seat belted coach wander around?

Lah me.....

Who cares how the coach got seat belted? The only thing that matters is that he DID get seat belted. Enforce the rule without making up lame excuses why you don't have to.
Someone needs new reading glasses, just where did I say I'd let a seat belted coach wander around?

I said IF the coach hadn't directly earned the seatbelt because of his own actions...like a bone head player dunks in warm-ups...I'd give him a, "Hey coach, where you at?" Just like I'd give a wandering coach outside his box who is coaching.

Seriously if you are going to criticize at least get it right.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 01:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
I said IF the coach hadn't directly earned the seatbelt because of his own actions...like a bone head player dunks in warm-ups...I'd give him a, "Hey coach, where you at?" Just like I'd give a wandering coach outside his box who is coaching.

Seriously if you are going to criticize at least get it right.
So, you'd let him wander if he indirectly earned the seatbelt? That's OK with you?

In that case.....

Are you serious? You'd let a seatbelted coach wander around?

Lah me.....

Who cares HOW the coach got seatbelted? The only thing that matters is that he DID get seatbelted. Enforce the rule without making up lame excuses why you don't have to.

Is that any plainer?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, you'd let him wander if he indirectly earned the seatbelt? That's OK with you?

In that case.....

Are you serious? You'd let a seatbelted coach wander around?

Lah me.....

Who cares HOW the coach got seatbelted? The only thing that matters is that he DID get seatbelted. Enforce the rule without making up lame excuses why you don't have to.

Is that any plainer?
It's plain you can't ever admit when you are wrong.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 02:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Things I'd consider are:

How he/she got the seat belt...was it a direct T, or was it an indirect?

Are they coaching or cheering or are they talking at me or my partner(s)?

If they hadn't gotten it because of their own unsporting behavior or if they are coaching/cheering, I'd do just what I do to a wandering coach out of their box, "Coach where are you at?"
You tell me how I'm wrong, BZ. Those are your statements. A coach got seatbelted. You're trying to say that how the coach got the seatbelt should be a factor. You're also stating that you wouldn't nail a seatbelted coach for being up wandering around if that coach was coaching/cheering. Well, golly gee, I beg to differ with your philosophy.

A seatbelted coach is seatbelted. Period.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2008, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You tell me how I'm wrong, BZ. Those are your statements. A coach got seatbelted. You're trying to say that how the coach got the seatbelt should be a factor. You're also stating that you wouldn't nail a seatbelted coach for being up wandering around if that coach was coaching/cheering. Well, golly gee, I beg to differ with your philosophy.

A seatbelted coach is seatbelted. Period.
Standing yelling instructions is not wandering around.

Standing cheering a good play is not wandering around.

So please try to keep up.

If a coach is not causing an issue, I'm sure as hell am not going to be a plumber because they are "technically breaking the rules...not when a simple, "Hey coach," fixes the problem.

There's taking care of business and there's being an over-officious rule book ref...there's being a game manager and doing what's best for the game and that means TCB when it's unsporting and using common sense when it isn't.
Closed Thread