The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Never say Never

I've never been one to say I won't have a blarge in one of my games and I'm glad. It happened last night. I was C, bringing the PC, partner was L, bringing the block. Luckily it was early in the game. I noticed the problem immediately, ran to my partner and asked him what he had. The defender came from his area as they were pressing and slid in late from his view. I nodded with much emphasis and hustled away. We handled it quickly, my partner told the coach why we took his call and we go through it without big controversy. I guess I need to concentrate on good mechanics again. I must be getting sloppy.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:40am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Good lesson - getting with your partner quickly and handling it!

I've had a couple of blarge's I certainly could have handled better. NOT doing so can let the game get out of hand....I've seen it first hand and wished I'd handled it better up front.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I might say....slower to give signal on double whistles and eye contact with partner can help this out too...You still should come together.

I know I've done this and get all excited and don't heed my own words above selling my call....It happens...
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I might say....slower to give signal on double whistles and eye contact with partner can help this out too...You still should come together.

I know I've done this and get all excited and don't heed my own words above selling my call....It happens...
Absolutely, the problem was caused by my partner and I having poor mechanics on this play.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
Absolutely, the problem was caused by my partner and I having poor mechanics on this play.
Unless this was an NCAAW game, you also exhibited poor rules knowledge on the play.
Once both of you have given opposite signals, you need to follow case book play 4.19.8 Sit C and go with a double foul.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Unless this was an NCAAW game, you also exhibited poor rules knowledge on the play.
Once both of you have given opposite signals, you need to follow case book play 4.19.8 Sit C and go with a double foul.
Just waiting for NEV to jump on this one.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was a NFHS game, but I do work NCAAW, does that count? Honestly, I think the NCAAW have the correct way to handle this situation. Had we followed NFHS mechanics, we never would have had the problem in the first place.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
It was a NFHS game, but I do work NCAAW, does that count? Honestly, I think the NCAAW have the correct way to handle this situation. Had we followed NFHS mechanics, we never would have had the problem in the first place.
I also work NCAAW and agree that IMO the way we handle the blarge is better.

In a FED game the rules dictate that if both officials give a preliminary signal that you have to go with the double foul. Improper mechanics aside we still have to follow the rules for whatever game we are officiating @ that time.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Junker,
I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. I just reread my post and I can see how it might come across that way. I was merely trying to inform you of the proper way to handle it. It seemed that you may not have known. Hopefully, it won't occur again in the future to you for a long, long time.

I happen to believe that when one finds himself in a mess that the best way to get out of it is to properly follow the rules.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jan 16, 2008 at 12:25pm.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Junker,
I was trying to be a jerk about it.
Really?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did notice that. But I just did not want to be the one that stirred the pot.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Junker,
I was trying to be a jerk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Really?
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Junker,
I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it. I just reread my post and I can see how it might come across that way. I was merely trying to inform you of the proper way to handle it. It seemed that you may not have known. Hopefully, it won't occur again in the future to you for a long, long time.

I happen to believe that when one finds himself in a mess that the best way to get out of it is to properly follow the rules.
I didn't take it that way. I've been around here long enough to know better. I actually saw it coming. I've been getting sloppy about putting my fist up on this play, especially at C. One of the things I was going to work on this season was getting away from just punching the PC call. Evidently I haven't worked hard enough on it. It bugs me just because this is a bad habit I've developed over the past couple of seasons. I knew it would catch up with me and it did.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Had a partner the other day that was newer than I was. Two-man Freshman boys, I'm new Lead on a fast break and have a block. Didn't hear his whistle nor did I think I would since this was a break, the play was RIGHT in front of me. Guess I should have been more aware of what he was doing but as I went to report the foul, he said he already did. I'm assuming he saw my call and took the courtesy of reporting it for me. Not good communication for sure.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

The dreaded double-whistle is something that MUST be discussed in every pregame, with the emphasis on NO PRELIMINARY SIGNAL if two of you blow on the same play. Discuss with your partners ahead of time how it will then be handled. We generally say, if there's a double whistle, give it to the person who's primary it is.