The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pre-game in audio format. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/41076-pre-game-audio-format.html)

ca_rumperee Tue Jan 15, 2008 01:11pm

Pre-game in audio format.

Hi all,

As a first year HS official I get lots of early games. 3:30 pm, 4:00 pm, and 4:30 pm start times. Invariably I don't get to spend a lot of time with my partner for a pre-game prior to a game. I work as a courier during the day, so I am in the car, moving the vast majority of the time. Having written materials for study and "getting my head in the game" is often of no value to me.

So, I took one of the popular pre-game lists on the web and made an audio recording of it. I just read it while recording. This is NOT my content. I'm jess readin' what's on the page!

Anyways, I'm throwing it on my mp3 player to listen to in the car prior to arrival at game sites to get my brain thinking about basketball and officiating.

Feel free to pull a copy down if you feel it could be helpful to you.

http://www.teamaustin.net/officiating/bballpregame.mp3

ca_rumperee Tue Jan 15, 2008 01:30pm

Hey Billymac...

I'll record your often posted pregame as well. Just need some time to do it.

fullor30 Tue Jan 15, 2008 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ca_rumperee
Hi all,

As a first year HS official I get lots of early games. 3:30 pm, 4:00 pm, and 4:30 pm start times. Invariably I don't get to spend a lot of time with my partner for a pre-game prior to a game. I work as a courier during the day, so I am in the car, moving the vast majority of the time. Having written materials for study and "getting my head in the game" is often of no value to me.

So, I took one of the popular pre-game lists on the web and made an audio recording of it. I just read it while recording. This is NOT my content. I'm jess readin' what's on the page!

Anyways, I'm throwing it on my mp3 player to listen to in the car prior to arrival at game sites to get my brain thinking about basketball and officiating.

Feel free to pull a copy down if you feel it could be helpful to you.

http://www.teamaustin.net/officiating/bballpregame.mp3

Hey, nice pipes! Do they have a three man version?

jcarter Tue Jan 15, 2008 02:01pm

Can you also do the whole rule book so I have something to listen to while getting in the windshield time??:D

This is great though! Thanks

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 15, 2008 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcarter
Can you also do the whole rule book so I have something to listen to while getting in the windshield time??:D

This is great though! Thanks

If you want the rule book in audio format:
  • get a copy in electronic format
  • export to PDF (with CutePDF, for example)
  • Use Adobe Reader 8+'s Text-to-Speech feature to send audio to the PC speakers
  • Use an audio capture utility to capture the speaker's output to an MP3 file

fullor30 Tue Jan 15, 2008 02:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee

Have it on my desk in the A.M. please.

jcarter Tue Jan 15, 2008 02:16pm

Quote:

:eek: :eek:

hhmmmm, i think I have the 2006 version that someone on here did in word that we copied to a palm pilot.....

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 15, 2008 02:17pm

Quote:

Are the current Rule Book/Case Book available in electronic format anywhere?

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 15, 2008 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
Are the current Rule Book/Case Book available in electronic format anywhere?

Start typing...... :D :D

ca_rumperee Tue Jan 15, 2008 09:08pm

Yes!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Hey, nice pipes! Do they have a three man version?

my maiden effort ignored the 3-man stuff, because as a first year, i'm not going to get any of that action.

i'll look to record the 3-man

it will be a time issue.

ca_rumperee Tue Jan 15, 2008 09:09pm

wait a minute...

Quote:

can you get the rule book in electronic format??

JugglingReferee Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:31pm

Quote:

can you get the rule book in electronic format??

Not me. I have heard (from this forum in fact) of a website called Athletic Rules Study, that has something for sale along the lines you're thinking of.

ca_rumperee Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:42pm

Here, I've done page 10...

.... lets all do a page or two and compile them...
yeah, lets get typin'!!!

The restrictions which the rules place upon the players are intended to create a balance of play; to provide equal opportunity between the offense and the defense; to provide equal opportunity between the small player and the tall player; to provide reasonable safety and protection; to create an atmosphere of sporting behavior and fair play; and to emphasize cleverness and skill without unduly limiting freedom of action of individual or team play on either offense or defense.
Therefore, it is important to know the intent and purpose of a rule so that it may be intelligently applied in each play situation. A player or a team should not be permitted tan advantage which is not intended by a rule. Neither should play be permitted to develop which may lead to placing a player at a disadvantage not intended by rule.
It is the policy of the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee that there be no deviation from the rules unless experimental approval has been granted by NFHS liaison to the rules committee.
THE GAME - Basketball is played by two team of five players each. The purpose of each team is to throw the ball into its own basket and to prevent the other team from scoring. The ball may be thrown, batted, rolled or dribbled in any direction, subject to restrictions laid down in the following rules.

Rule 1

SECTION 1 PLAYING COURT DIMENSIONS
The playing court shall be a rectangular surface free from obstructions and with dimensions not greater than 94 feet in length by 50 feet in width. IDEAL MEASUREMENTS ARE: High School Age - 84 by 50 feet. These are the dimensions for the playing court only. Suggestions about construction and lighting are in the "Supplement to Court Diagram."

SECTION 2 SIDELINES, END LINES
Art. 1 ... The playing court shall be marked with sidelines, end lines and other lines as shown on the appended court diagram. There shall be at least 3 feet (and preferably 10 feet) of unobstructed space outside boundaries. The sidelines and end lines shall be a minimum of 2 inches in width. If it is desirable to use contrasting colored-floor areas instead of lines, see the "Supplement to Court Diagram."

BktBallRef Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:07pm

Not a good idea.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 16, 2008 06:24am

Quote:

.... lets all do a page or two and compile them...
yeah, lets get typin'!!!

From the first page of the NFHS rule and case book:
1) "No one may republish any material contained within without the prior written consent of the NFHS."
2) "Republication of all or any portion of this rules book on the Internet is expressly prohibited."

Knock yourself out. Let us know how it turns out.:D

The FED charges for the books to pay for their costs and fund their expenses. etc. They don't mind a small, topic-specific rules citation posted on sites like this. Not a good idea to be trying to peddle the full book(s), free or otherwise.