The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to brandan89 Send a message via Yahoo to brandan89
Jr. High Coach = 1st toss for me.

Last Thursday night, I had a game between two Catholic schools. I knew before the game that it was going to be a close game due to the fact they were playing this game to see who stayed in for first place in the league. To start things off, the coach as well as about 5 members from the Visiting team calls and says that they are running late and would be there in about 20 minutes. After his arrival and the jump of the ball, things began to roll down hill, drastically. After every single call no matter what that went against his team he had something to say about it, so finally I had to give him the stop sign. Early in the 3rd quarter, there was a loose ball in front of his bench that left one of the home team’s players kind of hurt. No fouls. I was under the goal and his player that got the ball took it to the basket, shot and made it. After this I blew the ball dead to check on the player. The coach from the visiting team comes to the middle of the court hollering at my partner and I from not granting his time out. This is where he got his first T from coming on the court hollering at us. Then he refused to sit down equaling his second and toss. Just out of curiosity I asked my partner if he had called the time out and he said that he did not honestly hear him. The thing the threw me for a loop is why would you call a time out for the opposing team when you only have 1 left.

After the game the coach comes back into the gym, gets in my partner and I’s face wanting to fight us and telling us how much we sucked. The home team’s coach told him if he didn’t get out they would call the cops. They had to literally grab him and push him out of the gym.

Paperwork was filled out and now Im waiting to see what is going to happen.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 06:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Brandan - check out Oregon statute 30.882 on line and work to get a similar statute passed in your state.

I worked on this a few years ago and testified (with others) in a state Senate committee hearing. At the time, I was a NASO member and they were pushing this type of legislation.

It's a "sports officials protection act" and here in Oregon, if that coach would have initiated physical contact with you or your partner, he would be prosecuted. It's a Class A misdemeanor here which means every county prosecutor is obligated to actually prosecute.

I hope this jerk's career as a coach is over.

BTW - it's idiots like this that have prompted me to bring my cousin Tony to my games. I never have problems like this anymore.

Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 06:30pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandan89
Last Thursday night, I had a game between two Catholic schools. I knew before the game that it was going to be a close game due to the fact they were playing this game to see who stayed in for first place in the league. To start things off, the coach as well as about 5 members from the Visiting team calls and says that they are running late and would be there in about 20 minutes. After his arrival and the jump of the ball, things began to roll down hill, drastically. After every single call no matter what that went against his team he had something to say about it, so finally I had to give him the stop sign. Early in the 3rd quarter, there was a loose ball in front of his bench that left one of the home team’s players kind of hurt. No fouls. I was under the goal and his player that got the ball took it to the basket, shot and made it. After this I blew the ball dead to check on the player. The coach from the visiting team comes to the middle of the court hollering at my partner and I from not granting his time out. This is where he got his first T from coming on the court hollering at us. Then he refused to sit down equaling his second and toss. Just out of curiosity I asked my partner if he had called the time out and he said that he did not honestly hear him. The thing the threw me for a loop is why would you call a time out for the opposing team when you only have 1 left.

After the game the coach comes back into the gym, gets in my partner and I’s face wanting to fight us and telling us how much we sucked. The home team’s coach told him if he didn’t get out they would call the cops. They had to literally grab him and push him out of the gym.

Paperwork was filled out and now Im waiting to see what is going to happen.
Here's your problem. He had come to an intersection and was facing a T. He did not get one, so he kept driving. And he kept driving,....
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I didnt want to just pop him without warning him first..... I understand what you are saying thought.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
This is all you have to remember from this incident. As a young new guy just know that you did a good job. I trust that next time you won't wait until the 3rd qtr to bang this type, you'll recognize it in the first 2 minutes. You don't need Mark's cousin Tony, you got all the power you need.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

If a coach or anyone threatens to fight you, call the cops. It's called assault.

Aren't Catholic leagues just the best!!
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, I didnt want to just pop him without warning him first..... I understand what you are saying thought.
Why not?

I did this very thing a couple weeks ago...I was about to give the warning as the coach kept chirping about calls/no calls, but when the coach decided to jump off the bench like his azh was on fire and scream "THAT'S TERRIBLE" I waited until the other teams fast break/score went through the net and Td him up without warning.

There is nothing that states we have to give a warning....I guess we are being tolerant when we do before we give the T.
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 09:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
What you are hearing from the forum is the voice of many, many yrs of experience. Your first toss always leaves you asking and having questions asked of you.....it probably won't be your last toss and you will be more confident and maybe less tolerant in the future!

PS - Our guidance is never to give the "stop sign".....but that's a whole nuther conversation.....
Old Mon Jan 14, 2008, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCityRef
If a coach or anyone threatens to fight you, call the cops. It's called assault.

Aren't Catholic leagues just the best!!

Let me preface this post by saying I'm Catholic. Their games are different. It seems to be a labor of love with the coaches and far more intense.

Give me a Our Lady of Perpetual Motion versus Our Lady of Humidity any day, I love 'em. Sadly, they're better than most of my varsity games.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30
Let me preface this post by saying I'm Catholic. Their games are different. It seems to be a labor of love with the coaches and far more intense.

Give me a Our Lady of Perpetual Motion versus Our Lady of Humidity any day, I love 'em. Sadly, they're better than most of my varsity games.
I must say that I agree. I enjoy officiaiting for the local Catholic schools but I must say just as fullor said, the labor of live with the coaches are far more intense, which I must agree.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I only bring this up because of the tie to Catholic schools. I am doing a game tonight at a Christian school that says a prayer after the National Anthem but before player introductions. Have any of you guys seen this and has anyone seen the other "public school" team make a fuss out of it? I certainly don't have a problem with it but I can see where some schools might.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If the public schools don't like it, they won't schedule the games. I've had these games before, and never seen a problem from the visiting public school.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
I only bring this up because of the tie to Catholic schools. I am doing a game tonight at a Christian school that says a prayer after the National Anthem but before player introductions. Have any of you guys seen this and has anyone seen the other "public school" team make a fuss out of it? I certainly don't have a problem with it but I can see where some schools might.
First, there's absolutely nothing that can be done (nor should there be) to stop a private school from doing this.

Second, here in South Carolina I was at a public high school football game this fall where we had a prayer over the PA. Now that surprised me...
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiogima
I haven't seen it when the Christian school prays and there's a non-Christian school there.

The best pre-game prayer story I have had was when the little girl who was praying got almost finished, and then said, "Oh, and God, please help these refs do a decent job." The tone in her voice was the we needed all the help we could get!
Old Tue Jan 15, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I haven't seen it when the Christian school prays and there's a non-Christian school there.

The best pre-game prayer story I have had was when the little girl who was praying got almost finished, and then said, "Oh, and God, please help these refs do a decent job." The tone in her voice was the we needed all the help we could get!
Did it help?