The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mercy rule applications in last 2 mins. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40852-mercy-rule-applications-last-2-mins.html)

that's a walk Mon Jan 07, 2008 05:19pm

Mercy rule applications in last 2 mins.

This would apply to games/rules in Michigan. Have had many discussions with various levels of officials and it has been hard to come up with an agreement. What, if any, timing rules apply to the last 2 mins of a game with a running clock? Do you stop the clock on shooting fouls? Violations. We all know it stops for time outs or injuries. Can't come up with a concenus. Do you just let the clock run out and if there is a shooting foul, let the shooter complete the shots with the lane clear? When the shots are completed the game would be over, right?

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 07, 2008 05:29pm

In our local kids rec leagues, we use a running clock in conjunction with our mercy rule. It stops only for timeouts. Following a timeout, the clock starts when the ball becomes live. If the clock is running because the reason is what we call "mercy", there is no logic in stopping if for free throws. They're part of the game just like any other part of the game.

CJRef Mon Jan 07, 2008 07:07pm

Per the MHSAA Officials Guidebook:

I. Point Differential Rule

A. At all levels of play and in MHSAA tournaments, after the
first half when one team has a lead of 40 points or more, a
running clock shall be established. The clock shall revert to
regular time schemes should the score be reduced to a 30-
point lead or less. During any running clock mode, the clock
shall be stopped as normal for all timeouts and between
quarters; and for free throws during the last two (2) minutes
of the game. By league or conference adoption the point
differentials (both to establish a running clock and then
resume normal timing) may be modified at the junior high
middle school level only.

They used to mail the guidebook annually, but I believe they've tried to convert a lot of their material to their web-site only. If you haven't read it recently you can find it at: http://www.mhsaa.com/resources/official.htm.

It contains information on MHSAA adoptions of NFHS rules for all sports in addition to game suspension, ejection protocol and other game management guidelines, as well as all other policies pertinent to officials.

fullor30 Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJRef
Per the MHSAA Officials Guidebook:

I. Point Differential Rule

A. At all levels of play and in MHSAA tournaments, after the
first half when one team has a lead of 40 points or more, a
running clock shall be established. The clock shall revert to
regular time schemes should the score be reduced to a 30-
point lead or less. During any running clock mode, the clock
shall be stopped as normal for all timeouts and between
quarters; and for free throws during the last two (2) minutes
of the game. By league or conference adoption the point
differentials (both to establish a running clock and then
resume normal timing) may be modified at the junior high
middle school level only.

They used to mail the guidebook annually, but I believe they've tried to convert a lot of their material to their web-site only. If you haven't read it recently you can find it at: http://www.mhsaa.com/resources/official.htm.

It contains information on MHSAA adoptions of NFHS rules for all sports in addition to game suspension, ejection protocol and other game management guidelines, as well as all other policies pertinent to officials.

So MHSAA is where, Mozambique, Mazatlan, or Monte Carlo?

mick Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30

OP asked for Michigan.
OP got Michigan.

DonInKansas Tue Jan 08, 2008 04:49am

Ours is the same as Michigan, except there's no 2 min rule for free throws.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Jan 08, 2008 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30

In the immortal words of Woody Hayes: Its that school up north and that state up north. :D

MTD, Sr.

TiManGR Tue Jan 08, 2008 07:59am

Mis-understanding

I don't know where the confusion comes from. We had a 50 pt game a couple weeks ago where I was at the table and one of the officials made the timer run the clock during a time out (called by the losing team). The timer tried to tell the official, the coach who called the time out was complaining. We asked her to check with her partners and she wouldn't.

So, after that, one of the other officials made us stop the clock on all violations during the last two minutes.

At least during these situations the outcome of the game is not affected, I just don't understand why the officials wouldn't communicate among themselves. (I now keep that reference posted earlier at the table).

loners4me Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:57am

I will stop the clock on free throws if I think the buzzer will interfere with the shooters shot or go off during this sequence.

If there is plenty of time , let it run.

My reason for this is that a free throw shooter should never have to hear the horn while shooting, an obvious disadvantage.

chartrusepengui Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:23am

IMO - it's really stupid to wait until there is a 40 point differential before implementing the mercy rule BUT waiting until the differential is 30 before implementing stop clock again. How about 30 and 30 - or 40 and 40?

chartrusepengui Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:25am

Oops - why 40? in football it's 5 touchdowns/extra points. How about something similar? 25 - 30 ish?

that's a walk Tue Jan 08, 2008 02:10pm

CJRef, Mick

Thanks for the direction. Found the answer thru the resources area and printed out a copy. Hey Mark. We drive to Toledo quite a bit. I live in Lenawee county. About a 45 min drive down to Monroe St and Andersons!!
Thanks again!

Scrapper1 Tue Jan 08, 2008 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
IMO - it's really stupid to wait until there is a 40 point differential before implementing the mercy rule BUT waiting until the differential is 30 before implementing stop clock again. How about 30 and 30 - or 40 and 40?

Because when Team A got the margin to 41, you'd let the clock run. And when Team B scored on the next possession to cut the lead to 39, you'd have stop time, then when Team A scored you'd be back to running time.

Once you hit a certain mark, you let it run until it becomes a possibility that the losing team might make a comeback. That isn't accomplished by using "30 and 30".

chartrusepengui Tue Jan 08, 2008 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Because when Team A got the margin to 41, you'd let the clock run. And when Team B scored on the next possession to cut the lead to 39, you'd have stop time, then when Team A scored you'd be back to running time.

Once you hit a certain mark, you let it run until it becomes a possibility that the losing team might make a comeback. That isn't accomplished by using "30 and 30".

True, but at least it would generate crowd interest - can't you hear them already "hey the clocks running!" "hey, stop the clock!" ......... :D