The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Keeping your shirt tucked in... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40842-keeping-your-shirt-tucked.html)

KingTripleJump Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:22pm

Keeping your shirt tucked in...

My shirt is always coming out in some way, shape, form, or fashion. I have it tucked in tight and I ever where that wrap-around loop belt thing which begins to smell after a while. That still really doesn't work. My friends say I look like Steve Welmer every time down the court. (Wish I had his schedule...)

Does anyone have any other ideas to help keep your shirt tucked in?

:mad:

:D

jdw3018 Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTripleJump

Duct tape
Super glue
Chip Clips
Velcro
Stirrups
Magnets

Actually, I've had a lot of success with the black flex belt with rubber on one side. Also, do your pants fit?

Scrapper1 Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:31pm

I've never tried it, but I occasionally work with a guy who uses garters. They're long pieces of elastic with clips on each end. He clips one end to his shirt and the other end to his sock.

ca_rumperee Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:38pm

I suppose you could use short garters...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I've never tried it, but I occasionally work with a guy who uses garters. They're long pieces of elastic with clips on each end. He clips one end to his shirt and the other end to his sock.

and go 'commando' back of shirt to front! :eek: :eek: :eek:

eyezen Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:39pm

I tuck my shirt in my under armour and use light duty carpet tape on the inside waistband of my pants.

JRutledge Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:39pm

If you are wearing compression pants or shorts, tuck your shirt into that. You have to make sure that your shirt is straight in your compression shirt or pants, it just might stay. I wear only the compression pants from UnderArmor and they have a tie on them. I tuck in my shirt, tie the string tight and they stay. I tried those gimmicky flex belts and those just do not work very well. I did not like them and went back to tucking my shirt in my UnderArmor pants and my shirt stays in very well. I do not even have to adjust my shirt after half-time.

Peace

chartrusepengui Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:03pm

try buying shirts with a little extra length - seems to help.

rainmaker Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
try buying shirts with a little extra length - seems to help.

Yup, most manufacturers carry every shirt with extra length. I'm quite tall and long-waisted and I really need the extra length.

blindzebra Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:43pm

Losing or gaining weight might help.

The guys that tend to have the most problem with this have either too much belly and too small pants or too little belly and too big pants.

You wear stuff that fits and things will stay in.

fullor30 Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Yup, most manufacturers carry every shirt with extra length. I'm quite tall and long-waisted and I really need the extra length.

Victoria Secrets catalog?

rainmaker Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
Victoria Secrets catalog?

???:mad:

grunewar Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:11pm

I used to use the "tuck the shirt into the under-drawers" method, but am now getting used to the Flex Belt - which is ok. As has been alluded to, I bought pants a little large for me (c'mon, no belt?).....allowing for later expansion of my waste line...ARGH! :eek: So far, I've been successfully fighting off the growth of my midsection pretty well!

fullor30 Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
Losing or gaining weight might help.

The guys that tend to have the most problem with this have either too much belly and too small pants or too little belly and too big pants.

You wear stuff that fits and things will stay in.

Agreed, I see so many guys trying to stuff ten pounds in a five pound bag.

There seems to be a perception that the tighter the pants the slimmer you look, when in reality, the opposite is true.

I've never remotely come close to having my shirt come out.

I'm 6'0, 175 on the skinny side, but always have shirts and pants that fit.

As we all know, the minute you walk on the court, you're getting 'sized up'

Jurassic Referee Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:23pm

Quote:

I've never tried it, but I occasionally work with a guy who uses garters. They're long pieces of elastic with clips on each end. He clips one end to his shirt and the other end to his <font color = red>sock</font>.

Typo?

fullor30 Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Typo?

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KingTripleJump Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:20pm

Hmm, my pants fit fine. They aren't loose in the waist.

A co-official recommended those suspender type things. They seem like they'd get annoying though. And that flex-belt always creeps up and starts to show on the outside of my pants...or am I not wearing it right?

I have a 6-pack so I have no belly to "help keep the shirt in place."

Ref_in_Alberta Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:24pm

Quote:

My shirt is always coming out in some way, shape, form, or fashion. I have it tucked in tight and I ever where that wrap-around loop belt thing which begins to smell after a while. That still really doesn't work. My friends say I look like Steve Welmer every time down the court. (Wish I had his schedule...)

I use the flex belt I got from honig's. I really like it for 2 reasons...

1. It keeps my shirt tucked in
2. Later in the season after all the pounds I've lost from working games, it keeps my pants up... :D

blindzebra Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:30pm

Quote:

A co-official recommended those suspender type things. They seem like they'd get annoying though. And that flex-belt always creeps up and starts to show on the outside of my pants...or am I not wearing it right?

You wear it with the nubby part away from your body...that holds your pants in place.

Six pack or pony keg?;)

jdw3018 Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:32pm

Quote:

And that flex-belt always creeps up and starts to show on the outside of my pants...or am I not wearing it right?

I've got at least a 12-pack myself, but I'm working on it. ;)

As for the flex belt, it only works for me with my sansabelts (I also have a pair of pants from Honigs), because they have a "groove" on the bottom of the wasteband that I can fit the belt into - it does the dual job of holding my pants up (they are a hair big now that I've lost weight) and keeping my shirt in.

I have the same problem as you, though (creeping up) in my other pair of pants. They're tighter so I don't have any problem with them otherwise, but I can't wear the belt with them.

Ron Pilo Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:36pm

I have worked with a guy who had his wife sew a piece of old shirt from the bottom back and then connects like a babies onezie in front with snaps...work great for him. However I suspect he gooses himself everytime he has a call.....;)

gordon30307 Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:39pm

Quote:

I have a case. Flex belt works good for me.:rolleyes:

fullor30 Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:43pm

Quote:

So why would your shirt hang out?

You're not wearing hip-hop low rider pants.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018
Duct tape
Super glue
Chip Clips
Velcro
Stirrups
Magnets

You forgot Staple Gun. :p

DonInKansas Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
You forgot Staple Gun. :p

Or a nail gun! They use it for everything on them home improvement shows.......:p

refnrev Mon Jan 07, 2008 04:11pm

Just get the tall size shirts. If you're only 6'0 you shouldn't have any problems with these coming out. I never do.

Overnbach Mon Jan 07, 2008 05:24pm

Lace

Sew some nice, dainty lace onto the hem of your shirt. You will be sure to keep it tucked, always.

tomegun Mon Jan 07, 2008 05:30pm

The "suspender" things and the garters are the same. They connect to your shirt and then either your socks or there is a kind that loops around your foot. If placed correctly, they work and will not bother you. You will never worry about your shirt coming out of your pants.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 07, 2008 05:36pm

Quote:

He clips one end to his shirt and the other end to his sock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Typo?

Best quote of the year so far. :D

ref2coach Mon Jan 07, 2008 06:05pm

http://www.shirtgartersinc.com/

They work well.

ChrisSportsFan Mon Jan 07, 2008 06:11pm

Quote:

So do I but I never thought to carry it on the court with me. Does it work?

kbilla Mon Jan 07, 2008 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pilo
I have worked with a guy who had his wife sew a piece of old shirt from the bottom back and then connects like a babies onezie in front with snaps...work great for him. However I suspect he gooses himself everytime he has a call.....;)

This is just bizarre:p

fullor30 Mon Jan 07, 2008 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach

I can imagine strapping these on with new partners looking on.

ref2coach Mon Jan 07, 2008 06:19pm

It is a conversation starter. LOL

tomegun Mon Jan 07, 2008 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30
I can imagine strapping these on with new partners looking on.

It isn't that big of a deal.

jsblanton Mon Jan 07, 2008 06:24pm

Originally Posted by jdw3018
Duct tape
Super glue
Chip Clips
Velcro
Stirrups
Magnets

How about liquid nails:D

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Pilo

http://assets.espn.go.com/winnercomm...on_goosed1.jpg

fullor30 Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
It isn't that big of a deal.

As Seinfeld said " Not that it's a bad thing"

MCJB Ump Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge
If you are wearing compression pants or shorts, tuck your shirt into that. You have to make sure that your shirt is straight in your compression shirt or pants, it just might stay. have to adjust my shirt after half-time.

That's what I do, as well as wearing an UnderArmour sleeveless compression shirt. Stays in the whole game.

HawkeyeCubP Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:44am

Quote:

As some have suggested, tucking both of my shirts into my compression shorts helps. I'm a pretty fit guy too, so I have to buy one size shirt to adequately fit the top half of my top half (shoulders and chest), but this leaves a lot of shirt fabric in the midsection/lower back. I've found that, since I had all of my shirts tailored (taken in down the side seams - including the side-panel shirts), there is essentially no bunched-up fabric to come out any more, so they never come out anymore - at all, really. And my pants, at the waist, are extremely snug as well.

Back In The Saddle Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48am

I got new pants this year and have had the same trouble. Spent my first game doing the Welmer. Had the pants taken in and that worked for a week or two, until I lost some weight. Then I got out the flex belt, and that worked pretty well. But then I lost more weight, and now I have to wear the flex belt to keep my pants up. Probably time to get them taken in again.

Lopers27 Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:54am

Interesting Velcro Set-up

I was working w/ a new partner last week and noticed that he had a couple patches of velcro sewn on the very bottom of his shirt in the front, and then the matching patches in the front of his pants.

Not sure if it worked well or not, but his shirt was always tucked in.

Myself I either tuck into my UnderArmor or just in my pants and don't seem to have a problem.

blindofficial Tue Jan 08, 2008 06:39am

Quote:

Garters! Ouch! I wore those in the military and there were a few times where I "felt" a snap! No way would I ever wear garters! I recommend the rubber belt (I forget what it's called). I had the same problem with my shirt coming untucked, but with this belt, it stays tucked in.

dblref Tue Jan 08, 2008 03:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker

Seriously??? I just never pictured you as "non-vertically challenged". BTW, I'm 6'5", and I always buy the extra length shirts.