The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   More assistants than subs (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40837-more-assistants-than-subs.html)

chartrusepengui Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:04am

More assistants than subs

VB game Friday night. Visiting team has 10 players - 5 subs on bench and 6 assistant coaches. From the tip they were complaining on every whistle. I know the head coach who is also an official. I've worked games with him. Anyway - about 2 minutes into the game I whistle and OOB right in front of the bench. While waiting for teams to get into place I quietly turned and told him that I would listen to him but had better not hear another chirp from bench personnel or it would be one T for every open mouth. He nodded and put the stop sign out to AC.

As teams were coming out after half each of the AC came to me and apologized. One, and older gentleman put his arm around me and said that the HC had informed them that they needed to be quiet - it was not the officials fault that his team couldn't shoot or handle the ball - that it was their job to teach them. :D :D

Every once in awhile you get a really good night! This is one case where it was nice the HC was also an official and understood where I was coming from.

Jimgolf Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:46pm

I find this surprising. Don't most HS leagues have a restriction on how many assistant coaches are permitted on the bench? Six ACs on the bench?

chartrusepengui Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:01pm

I think it's part of a game he plays. He puts 6 of them on the bench and they chip ..... he remains quiet. I've spoken to a few others in my association that have had him this year and they said it continued all game and "was a distraction". I don't know why - I quietly spoke with HC and no more problems.

rainmaker Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
I think it's part of a game he plays. He puts 6 of them on the bench and they chip ..... he remains quiet. I've spoken to a few others in my association that have had him this year and they said it continued all game and "was a distraction". I don't know why - I quietly spoke with HC and no more problems.

If he's an official and he does this then he's being a %%$#@, imo. Next time you ref him, whack at the first chirp, without warning. At least, that's what the voices in my head say.

chartrusepengui Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:23pm

:D January 19th is that day. Can hardly wait to see if they even try this little ploy that evening! ;) He should really know better and should know my partner and I better!

rainmaker Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:25pm

Quote:

:D January 19th is that day. Can hardly wait to see if they even try this little ploy that evening! ;) He should really know better and should know my partner and I better!

Maybe we should all come and cheer for you when you whack him! In fairness, we could also cheer for him if he never needs it.

chartrusepengui Mon Jan 07, 2008 01:29pm

The funny part is - he'd be the first guy to whack you if you did it to him! He just likes to see how far an official can be pushed - and will use it to his advantage.

Snake~eyes Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
If he's an official and he does this then he's being a %%$#@, imo. Next time you ref him, whack at the first chirp, without warning. At least, that's what the voices in my head say.

Why on earth would you do that? You shouldn't carry stuff like this over from one game to another. I can understand discussing the ACs in pregame, and how its going to be handled, but an "automatic T" for some minor chirping from coaches is a litlte overboard. You really shouldn't listen to the voices in your head.

rainmaker Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
Why on earth would you do that? You shouldn't carry stuff like this over from one game to another. I can understand discussing the ACs in pregame, and how its going to be handled, but an "automatic T" for some minor chirping from coaches is a litlte overboard. You really shouldn't listen to the voices in your head.

Well, doesn't it depend on which voice? I mean, there are a couple that say I shouldn't listen to the others!:D PS sorry I forgot the smilie on my previous post. I was mostly kidding.

chartrusepengui Mon Jan 07, 2008 02:44pm

Quote:

Trust me - these guys aren't doing any "minor" chirping - they take their chirping seriously!!:) I don't personally carry this over from one game to another BUT it will be interesting to see if I need to put up stop sign or say "only you" to the HC again. After I've said it once - WHACK - unless of course what an assistant said was deserving of it immediately.

Mark Padgett Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:38pm

Quote:

One, and older gentleman put his arm around me

He wasn't also tapping his foot, was he? :eek:

DonInKansas Mon Jan 07, 2008 03:54pm

As long as it wasn't this guy, you SHOULD be ok....
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...GuyHerbert.jpg

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
He wasn't also tapping his foot, was he? :eek:

He is in Wisconsi.

JRutledge Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:27pm

Quote:

First of all AC should not be saying anything to officials period. Secondly, you are right that they should get a clean slate, but if you know how they behave, sometimes a short leash is acceptable the next time you see them. It is obvious no one has been sticking them for their behavior. If they had been given a T, maybe they would not go around running their mouth. And we all know coaches do not just forget, so why should we? Now I would make them earn it, but I would not tolerate the same behavior the next time. I really would feel that way if I let them get away.

Peace

26 Year Gap Mon Jan 07, 2008 09:49pm

Really nothing different than remembering player tendencies.