The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

When I officiated, my priority was to maintain control of the contest, and that was succeeded by calling off ball fouls. I feel that a good official will look off ball 65-75% of the time during a two man crew. Now that I'm out of officiating and currently an evaluator and intrepetor, it is difficult to teach off ball coverage. It seems that it is a natural instict to be able to work off ball, but it does seem that more an official matures, he/she is able to work off ball better, although there are individuals that are never able to grasp the challenge.

I try to challange officials to use their peripheral vision, but it is so hard for an official to get their eyes off the ball. Around here, if a team gets a lead you'll see a team go to a flex offense with many off ball lazy screens, pushing, elbows out, no feet set, etc., and those are the fouls that have to be called to maintain control of the contest.

Any suggestions teaching off ball coverage?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
When I officiated, my priority was to maintain control of the contest, and that was succeeded by calling off ball fouls. I feel that a good official will look off ball 65-75% of the time during a two man crew.
If this is true, then there is 40% of the time when neither oficial is working "on ball." Is that really what you mean?

On the teaching, the best thing to do is to walk right behind the trainees as they work a scrimmage. Direct their eyes and ask them questions about the play -- who's in the post? Was that a legal screen by A1? Di B2 push on the rebound? Get them to say, outloud for the scrimmage, the numbers of the players they are watching.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2002, 11:53pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
When I officiated, my priority was to maintain control of the contest, and that was succeeded by calling off ball fouls. I feel that a good official will look off ball 65-75% of the time during a two man crew.
If this is true, then there is 40% of the time when neither oficial is working "on ball." Is that really what you mean?

On the teaching, the best thing to do is to walk right behind the trainees as they work a scrimmage. Direct their eyes and ask them questions about the play -- who's in the post? Was that a legal screen by A1? Di B2 push on the rebound? Get them to say, outloud for the scrimmage, the numbers of the players they are watching.
Bob,
I "Shadowed" some young refs a couple weeks ago. T'was fun.
mick
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

watch tape.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Bob,
I "Shadowed" some young refs a couple weeks ago. T'was fun.
mick
My association uses this "shadowing" technique also and it is very beneficial. It was also used at a camp I attended a couple of years ago. It helped me a lot, because as was previously mentioned, it is a natural tendency to follow the ball. Especially if you have played and/or coached.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Thumbs up

I know exactly what are talking about. We are having a hard time teaching off ball coverage as well. My crew and I have found that using the shadowing method and/or being right behind them during scrimmages is working out the best. Also, I recommend video tape as well. That works very well.

Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

A tip I was given at a couple of camps and has been very helpful to me in two person and three person is to learn to identify the competitive matchups in your primary area of coverage. Of course this assumes two things, one is that you know what a competitive matchup is and the other is that you know what your primary coverage areas are. This helps you stay focused especially off ball. Use peripheral vision to know where the ball and your partner(s) are at all times. Keep a wide focus and see the floor but concentrate on your primary. Shadowing is great in scrimmage situations if the shadower knows what he or she is doing. The thing I alwys try to teach newer officials is primary coverage areas and to let the ball go once it leaves. Know where it is but trust your partner to pick it up.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

One of the most frustrating things that I have as a new official (2nd year) is when my partner is watching the ball in my primary. For example, when I am 'T' and the ball is at the top of the key. I am on the ball and as I glance at my partner, he is also on the ball. It is a strong temptation for me to go to off ball coverage. I know that is not the proper thing to do. Almost exclusively, my partners are more experienced than I am. I am not sure how to approach them tactfully and get them to stay in their primary. Any suggestions?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:05am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
One of the most frustrating things that I have as a new official (2nd year) is when my partner is watching the ball in my primary. For example, when I am 'T' and the ball is at the top of the key. I am on the ball and as I glance at my partner, he is also on the ball. It is a strong temptation for me to go to off ball coverage. I know that is not the proper thing to do. Almost exclusively, my partners are more experienced than I am. I am not sure how to approach them tactfully and get them to stay in their primary. Any suggestions?
Rev.Ref63,
As a newer official: Do not be overly concerned with your partner.
  • Cover your primary and take care of your area
  • Concentrate on your game, even though a weak partner can produce a less than acceptable product on the floor
  • Stay out of your partners area unless you have to make a call.

A partner calling out of his area will be wrong 65%-75% of the time.I spent my first 5 years trying to adjust to different partners, trying to call their game, and it does not work.
    Yes, you certainly want to have a sense of the entire floor, but allow your partner to live and die with their game, which is what you ask of them.
    mick
    Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:25am
    Official Forum Member

ditto, mick
    Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 11:53am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Rev.Ref63
    Rev,

You might want to try this approach. At a dead ball where you have a chance to talk, mention how bad the screens are getting away from the ball and that both of you are going to have to really concentrate to keep this area clean. You will now have given your partner some incentive (and a reason beside the fact that he should stay in his primary) to concentrate on the off ball action.

You are right in thinking that a lot of partners will not like it if you just tell them...STAY IN YOUR PRIMARY AND OUT OF MINE....even though that is what you want to tell them. A little tact in this situation will make the team work better.

Good luck.
    Old Mon Feb 11, 2002, 10:29pm
    Administrator

Wink

Even though I am a structural engineer, I have a minor in electrical engineering (don't ask). I use my knowleddge of electrical engineering to solve this problem with the students in my officiating class every year.

I designed and built a device that transmit an electrical shock to a sensitive area of the body everytime the official looks at the ball when he is suppose to have off ball coverage. It solves the problem very quickly.
    Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
    International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
    Ohio High School Athletic Association
    Toledo, Ohio