The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   BC Violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40620-bc-violation.html)

kbilla Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:07pm

BC Violation

This morning VG tournament, I am T and A1 who is in the FC has per pass deflected back at her by B1. As the ball comes back to her she tips it and it goes into the BC. A1 recovers and I call a BC violation. A's coach goes nuts of course, but I turn immediately to him and explain what I saw and he immediately calmed down....at halftime, I ask the official who was C at the time if he saw the play as well. He said he saw it but "would have passed". Say what?!?!? He said he never callls the "double tip" a BC violation b/c the coaches, fans, etc don't understand that rule and he has never been questioned about it, in other words not calling it is the less painful thing to do...he said that since coaches rate you he doesn't want to call something like this that they don't understand...this guy is a senior official/assignor and he actually called a very good game, I just couldn't understand this point of view...I basicallly said that if calling that means that I don't move any higher then so be it..you just never know what is going through people's heads...

Ch1town Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
He said he saw it but "would have passed". Say what?!?!? He said he never callls the "double tip" a BC violation b/c the coaches, fans, etc don't understand that rule and he has never been questioned about it, in other words not calling it is the less painful thing to do...he said that since coaches rate you he doesn't want to call something like this that they don't understand...this guy is a senior official/assignor and he actually called a very good game, I just couldn't understand this point of view...I basicallly said that if calling that means that I don't move any higher then so be it..you just never know what is going through people's heads...

Is that the only assignor you work for? If so, that's unfortunate for you, but like the old saying goes: When in Rome...

Mark Padgett Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:23pm

Did you ask him what other proper calls you shouldn't make? This is a major part of what is wrong with the game. If the coaches run the game and there is a rule they don't like, then they should lobby the NF to change it. Attitudes like the one this "senior" ref has just adds to inconsistency in officiating, and that can't be good for anyone, let alone the kids.

I know some of you will say we have to call the game the way our assignor wants it to be called, but I still don't agree on intentionally not making calls that should be made according to the rules when they are "cut and dried" like this. I'm not talking about judgment calls.

kbilla Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town
Is that the only assignor you work for? If so, that's unfortunate for you, but like the old saying goes: When in Rome...

Thankfully he did not assign this game, and does not assign in a conference that I am interested in working...just blew my mind though...

Ch1town Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
Thankfully he did not assign this game, and does not assign in a conference that I am interested in working...just blew my mind though...

That's great news then... I thought you were working the game with your assignor.

grunewar Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Did you ask him what other proper calls you shouldn't make?

Is this a rhetorical question or do we really want to know the answer? :eek:

kbilla Wed Dec 26, 2007 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Did you ask him what other proper calls you shouldn't make? This is a major part of what is wrong with the game. If the coaches run the game and there is a rule they don't like, then they should lobby the NF to change it. Attitudes like the one this "senior" ref has just adds to inconsistency in officiating, and that can't be good for anyone, let alone the kids.

I know some of you will say we have to call the game the way our assignor wants it to be called, but I still don't agree on intentionally not making calls that should be made according to the rules when they are "cut and dried" like this. I'm not talking about judgment calls.

Actually I did not ask him b/c we still had another half to work and I was afraid of his answer!:eek: