The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40529-violation.html)

PP Thu Dec 20, 2007 04:43pm

violation

If a player leaves the court to get around the defender even if the ball is not close to him, it is still a violation. We see this often on the base line and side line area.* Do we blow the infraction down immediately, even if his / her team does not have possession of the ball?

kbilla Thu Dec 20, 2007 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP
If a player leaves the court to get around the defender even if the ball is not close to him, it is still a violation. We see this often on the base line and side line area.* Do we blow the infraction down immediately, even if his / her team does not have possession of the ball?

Well if his/her team didn't have the ball, then he/she wouldn't be getting around a defender would he/she?:)

Actually I believe there is a case book play that allows an exception for this so the defender can't get beat, then just jump out of bounds to get a dead ball - would allow an unfair advantage to the defense...I'm sure someone will post it...

Adam Thu Dec 20, 2007 05:34pm

Don't know about you, but I don't see it often. Haven't seen it at all this year, to be honest.

And yes, if it does happen, blow it dead immediately. I assume you mean on a throwin with "even if his / her team does not have possession of the ball?"

kbilla Thu Dec 20, 2007 05:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Don't know about you, but I don't see it often. Haven't seen it at all this year, to be honest.

And yes, if it does happen, blow it dead immediately. I assume you mean on a throwin with "even if his / her team does not have possession of the ball?"

What about the example that I gave where the defender gets beat so he jumps out of bounds to draw a whistle?

Back In The Saddle Thu Dec 20, 2007 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla
What about the example that I gave where the defender gets beat so he jumps out of bounds to draw a whistle?

<table border="0" cellspacing="4"><tbody><tr><td class="nfhsMainFtMdBld" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">9.3.2 Situation D:</td><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" colspan="4" align="left" valign="top"> The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5 running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called.</td></tr> <tr><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" align="right" valign="top">Ruling:</td><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" colspan="4" align="left">B5's intentional violation should be ignored and A1's activity should continue without interruption.</td></tr> <tr><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">Comment:</td><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" colspan="4" align="left">Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (10-1-8)</td></tr></tbody></table>

kbilla Thu Dec 20, 2007 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
<table border="0" cellspacing="4"><tbody><tr><td class="nfhsMainFtMdBld" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">9.3.2 Situation D:</td><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" colspan="4" align="left" valign="top"> The score is tied 60-60 with four seconds remaining in the game. A1 has a fast break and is near the free-throw line on his/her way to an uncontested lay-up. B5 running down the court near the sideline, intentionally runs out of bounds in the hopes of getting a leaving-the-floor violation called.</td></tr> <tr><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" align="right" valign="top">Ruling:</td><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" colspan="4" align="left">B5's intentional violation should be ignored and A1's activity should continue without interruption.</td></tr> <tr><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" align="right" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">Comment:</td><td class="nfhsMainFtMd" colspan="4" align="left">Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (10-1-8)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Thanks BITS, knew it was there somewhere...

MCJB Ump Thu Dec 20, 2007 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PP

And the other area would be????

;)

Adam Thu Dec 20, 2007 07:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbilla

I generally wouldn't call this on defense unless they gain an advantage with it.

Splute Fri Dec 21, 2007 08:16am

I have only called this once. Offense trying to beat a press. Defensive players set up in front of dribbler near sideline. He passes just before they close on him and then he goes out of bounds around them. Comes back in ready to receive next pass.... but I whistle it dead.