The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   pregame with coach (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4049-pregame-coach.html)

daves Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:20am

I did 2 girls middle school games the other day. At halftime of the 7th grade game the home coach for the 8th grade game came up to me to talk. He told me to look out for #44 on the visiting team in the next game. He said that she is a "cheap shot artist" and has had several flagrant fouls this season. I told the coach that I don't like to go into a game with pre-conceived ideas about a player and that we would keep an eye on all the players from both teams. During the 8th grade game all I saw out of #44 was good hustle and straight up play. I saw no "cheap shots" or any unsporting act. What do you think of a coach that tries to set you up like that?

bigwhistle Fri Feb 08, 2002 11:22am

I am not fond of coaches who try to put preconceived ideas in your head before the game. When they begin to do that I usually tune them out and smile, and when they are finished tell them that we will look for it.......and then forget what they said as soon as I walk away. :)

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:31pm

Here's the Davism

Tell that howler monkey you don't understand him because you left your English - Jibberish dictionary at home. :D

rockyroad Fri Feb 08, 2002 01:11pm

Simply say this to the coach..."Hold on a second. If we are going to talk about your game, we need to get the other coach over here also. I'll go find him/her." Usually shuts them up pretty quickly!

ChuckElias Fri Feb 08, 2002 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally posted by rockyroad
Simply say this to the coach..."Hold on a second. If we are going to talk about your game, we need to get the other coach over here also. I'll go find him/her." Usually shuts them up pretty quickly!
Rocky, that's a great approach. Coaches are much more reluctant to look like bozos when they're in front of another coach. A friend of mine who works some NCAA D1 told me about a coach who insisted on talking to him at halftime. The other team had already gone into the locker room, so my friend said that they'd talk when both coaches were available. They come back out and my friend gets the opposing coach, who has no idea what the "conference" is about. The conversation goes like this:

Coach 2 (opposing Coach): What's going on?

Official: I'm not sure. Coach 1 has something he wants to talk about. -- Coach 1, what's on your mind?

Coach 1: (Looking uncomfortably from Official to Coach 2. After long pause, he says to Official) I don't think you like me.

Complete silence.

Coach 1: I mean, I feel like there's something between us that you don't like me.

Official: Coach 1, I don't know you enough to like or not like you.

More awkward silence. Coach 2 is now frustrated at being taken away from his team.

Coach 1: Never mind.

It may not sound funny, but I would love to have actually been there to hear the exchange. Can you imagine the look on Coach 2's face? I'm smiling just thinking about it. :)

Chuck

devdog69 Fri Feb 08, 2002 03:52pm

Reminded me of Tuesday night in the boys game, partner calls a foul underneath on visitors. I am trail, so I am stuck by the bence, no, John I wasn't talking to the coach he was talking to me. He tried to get my partner to listen but he just reported the foul and went opposite table, so I gave him a quick ear. He says "I promise you, we are going to be straight up in there all night, so if there is any contact..." I stopped him and said "you're kidding right, give me a break". Fouls were 8-3 against him at the end of the first quarter, I didn't even bother repeating that to my partners til after the game when we had a good laugh about it.

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 08, 2002 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias

Coach 1: (Looking uncomfortably from Official to Coach 2. After long pause, he says to Official) I don't think you like me.

Chuck - I would have said, "Awwwwww. How 'bout the three of us have a group hug?"

Then, I would have puked on his shoes - but nicely.