The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   My count is too fast (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40446-my-count-too-fast.html)

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 17, 2007 06:01pm

My count is too fast

I was informed recently that my count is too fast. GJV, a really good V team v. a H team that can't figure out how to throw the ball in from backcourt and get it across midcourt.

Spot throw-in on the baseline for H in backcourt. I've got a five count going, and when the girl can't get it in because of defensive pressure, I call the violation. Kid from the stands hollers down at me, "Your count is too fast. Only three seconds ran off the clock." I look up at the kid, I'm sure with a disbelieving look on my face, and he adds, "I'm just sayin'."

I just had to laugh. You gotta give the kid points for at least coming up with plausible-sounding evidence of my incompetence. ;)

tomegun Mon Dec 17, 2007 07:27pm

Was he right?

Smitty Mon Dec 17, 2007 07:36pm

Why was the clock running during a spot throw in? :confused:

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 17, 2007 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty
Why was the clock running during a spot throw in? :confused:

That's why I had to laugh. The clock wasn't running. Perhaps he just pulled that out of his tail. Perhaps he's tried it on throw-ins after a made basket. But hey, it sounded good. :D

Dan_ref Mon Dec 17, 2007 07:45pm

Rockyroad tells me he often gets this complaint from his wife.

Adam Mon Dec 17, 2007 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Rockyroad tells me he often gets this complaint from his wife.

You'd think Rocky would have learned a lesson about confiding in you after the Hackensack debacle.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
My count is too fast.

And that ain't all. :D

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
And that ain't all. :D

Huh? What are you talking about? Most of the time people tell me I "ain't too swift." ;)

blindzebra Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:23am

Well for those who do have a count that is off I suggest this:

Put some popcorn in the microwave and count with the timer...you get a nice snack and a chance to build some muscle memory.

Scooby Tue Dec 18, 2007 09:08am

Don't believe the fans in the stands. But, if your concerned ask your partner.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 18, 2007 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby
Don't believe the fans in the stands. But, if your concerned ask your partner.

Unless it's your mother. :eek:

ref2coach Tue Dec 18, 2007 09:28am

I work at a computer most of every day. Every hour or so I will get up and do some stretching etc standing at my desk. One of the things I also do is practice my "count" against the digital clock at www.time.gov I found it surprising how "fast" you really have to move your arm to get an "accurate" 5 or 10 second count.

chartrusepengui Tue Dec 18, 2007 09:41am

I'm a music teacher and sometimes will turn on my metronome set at 60 - one tic a second. I have one that I can set to tic a certain number of beats - then goes silent for the same amount of time - then is audible again. It keeps alternating that way. I can't even remember where I got it but it's helpful - especially during the silent section seeing if I am still on when it becomes audible again.

I am good at it - 20+ years experience with it. It's fun to have games/challenges with kids last few minutes of class. They love it and it's good for me too. :D They hate that they can never beat me at it!

Back In The Saddle Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Unless it's your mother. :eek:

I never believe my mother when she's in the stands either. :cool:

tjones1 Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by blindzebra
Well for those who do have a count that is off I suggest this:

Put some popcorn in the microwave and count with the timer...you get a nice snack and a chance to build some muscle memory.

I've tried this. I thought it would be interesting to see where my count was - not too bad. It was a nice snack, too.