The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Bitin' the bleachers

I have heard of this, but didn't think it would ever happen to me . . .

BJV game, transition trail to lead, running along side line looking over my left shoulder. Outlet pass goes by me and I think "that balls going out of bounds . . ." turn my head forward and see that the little point guard has gotten to the side line RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME; AAAAGH. Lucky for me, he only scales about 160+-, and I'm closer to 200. It appears (from a micro-second assessment) that he saves it, sends it back into court, and both of us go into bleachers. As I roll over and try to figure out where things are, I see the ball fly out of bounds over the end line and against the wall. It looked like it went off red - I blow the whistle hard, and look to my partner for help and . . . I can't decide if he's not responding cause he knows I've got it, or if he's laughing too hard!

Other than a barked shin, I survived, and the player I lifted off the bleachers apparently was as well (he asked me if I was "good").

I'd love to see the video.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 07:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good thing you weren't backpedaling.
Old Mon Dec 17, 2007, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

If you've got 40 pounds on this kid, yet you still end up in the bleachers with him...

...you're not using your mass and momentum to your advantage.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

I took out a cheerleader in a similar situation a few seasons back - in full sprint down the court just inside the side line, looking back over my shoulder covering a fast break, when she picked that inopportune moment to take a step onto the court to get a better look at what was going on. With me at #185 at full speed and her at maybe #105 it wasn't much of a contest. Fortunately I caught a glimpse of her out of my peripheral vision and was able to adjust slightly to reduce the contact, but she still wound sliding about 15 feet on her backside......could have been a whole lot worse.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 08:29am
Lighten up, Francis.

Make sure you vote here: I took a tumble last night....
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
If you've got 40 pounds on this kid, yet you still end up in the bleachers with him...

...you're not using your mass and momentum to your advantage.
Just remember to drop your shoulder, hit him between the numbers, and keep your legs moving.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

don't forget to wrap-up!
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
I took out a cheerleader in a similar situation a few seasons back - in full sprint down the court just inside the side line, looking back over my shoulder covering a fast break, when she picked that inopportune moment to take a step onto the court to get a better look at what was going on. With me at #185 at full speed and her at maybe #105 it wasn't much of a contest. Fortunately I caught a glimpse of her out of my peripheral vision and was able to adjust slightly to reduce the contact, but she still wound sliding about 15 feet on her backside......could have been a whole lot worse.
I trainwrecked a cheerleader in a little bandbox of a gym. 210lbs v 100 is really an ugly matchup. I was looking over my shoulder at a fast break and knocked her into a wall (Padded thank the Lord). Observers said she flew. They took her to the training room. Needless to say, the cheerleaders stayed away from me the rest of the night.

Another time in another gym, I was again looking over my right shoulder as I ran down the floor on a fast break. At the same time, a student was walking to his seat along the sideline. WHAM!!!!! All my partner saw was a huge cloud of popcorn. He laughed for the rest of the half the rat b#$t#rd.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Was working at a smaller rural school one night and noticed the cheerleaders along the sideline were getting a little close. I motioned for them to move back as I went by, and for the most part they did. Quick foul and a switch and my partner is now on that side and he swings wide in transition going down that same sideline. He clips one of the cheerleaders who didn't move, sending her spinning across the hardwood. As I came up behind I heard one of the other cheerleaders say to her fallen comrade, "He told you to move back."