The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 03:59pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Weird start to new rec season

First games of our local kids rec league this morning - 7th grade boys. During the second quarter, I hand the ball to A1 to inbound. As he's holding the ball OOB, B1 reaches across and hacks him on the wrist. At the same time, B2 pushes through a screen by A2 (who was running a set play to get A3 free to catch the inbound pass) and knocks him over. This happened right in front of me. Also at the exact same time, my partner blows his whistle to issue a T to Coach B for continuing to complain about the call that resulted in the inbound for team A.

Any guesses on how we handled it?

Oh yeah - in the second game, we had two sets of double technicals. What a morning.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Lot's of free throws?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:14pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

woke up?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Puked on each others shoes?
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:36pm
Administrator

Quote:
First games of our local kids rec league this morning - 7th grade boys. During the second quarter, I hand the ball to A1 to inbound. As he's holding the ball OOB, B1 reaches across and hacks him on the wrist. At the same time, B2 pushes through a screen by A2 (who was running a set play to get A3 free to catch the inbound pass) and knocks him over. This happened right in front of me. Also at the exact same time, my partner blows his whistle to issue a T to Coach B for continuing to complain about the call that resulted in the inbound for team A.

Oh yeah - in the second game, we had two sets of double technicals. What a morning.

Mark:

You have to stop going off your medications.

I am assuming that the game was played under NFHS Rules. Therefore, a false multiple foul has occured. B1 charged with an intentional personal foul and A1 shoots two free throws with no one lined up on the free throw lane. B2 charge with a common foul for pushing and if Team A is in the bonus, A2 will shoot free throws with no one lined up on the free throw lane. Head Coach B is charged with a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, he loses his coaching box privileges if the game was played in a state where the coaching box is being used and Team A shoots two free throws and then receives the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the Scorer's/Timer's Table. Team A will retain the AP Arrow for the next jump ball situation.

Even though B1, B2, and Head Coach B's fouls occured simultaneously, if anybody asked me, HC-B's technical foul occured after B1 and B2's foul to make the administration of the penalites easier. That's my story and I am sticking with it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 04:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Even though B1, B2, and Head Coach B's fouls occured simultaneously, if anybody asked me, HC-B's technical foul occured after B1 and B2's foul to make the administration of the penalites easier. That's my story and I am sticking with it.
Call the HC technical first. All other fouls are ignored because the ball was dead.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Call the HC technical first. All other fouls are ignored because the ball was dead.

Snaqs:

I like it young grasshopper. I like it very much. Quick and easy to explain. You go to the head of the class. But if HC-B has been a real jerk the false multiple foul is the way to go.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:25pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Mark:

You have to stop going off your medications.

I am assuming that the game was played under NFHS Rules. Therefore, a false multiple foul has occured. B1 charged with an intentional personal foul and A1 shoots two free throws with no one lined up on the free throw lane. B2 charge with a common foul for pushing and if Team A is in the bonus, A2 will shoot free throws with no one lined up on the free throw lane. Head Coach B is charged with a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, he loses his coaching box privileges if the game was played in a state where the coaching box is being used and Team A shoots two free throws and then receives the ball for a throw-in at the division line opposite the Scorer's/Timer's Table. Team A will retain the AP Arrow for the next jump ball situation.

MTD, Sr.
Almost perfect. Team B has the arrow. I never said the original throw in was AP. Also, the cool thing about this league is that, even though Oregon has a coach's box, we do not. Oh yeah - another mistake. You misspelled "occurred" three times and "penalties" once.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:

Who was your partner? You should have had me there. We'd have handled it together. Are there any games next weekend? Maybe I'll give Bruce an e-mial. You'll get me out of "retirement" yet.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Who was your partner?
It was supposed to be Joe the teacher. However, he was sick (or else he just couldn't take working with me anymore) so he sent his son. Jonathan did a very good job. I've worked with him lots of times in the past.

Please contact Bruce. I would love to work some of these games with you. Just think, everyone - me and Juulie working together in a kids rec league where we can say anything we want to coaches - worth the price of admission.
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Please contact Bruce. I would love to work some of these games with you. Just think, everyone - me and Juulie working together in a kids rec league where we can say anything we want to coaches - worth the price of admission.
Please, everyone, note that the admission price isn't very high -- and you get what you pay for.

Mark, please also note, this means I'm feeling better. Really am. Getting close to human again. That's kinda nice...
Old Sat Dec 15, 2007, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

That's clearly a do-over.