The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Two Questions

First, I'm a coach. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the rules. I coach V-girls. Two situations occurred in our last game, neither I'm sure about. Using NFHS rules (VHSL) are these correct???

#1...Team A has possession of the basketball. The coach from Team A receives a "T." The two free throws are administered and possession is given to team B. Is this correct or is it suppose to return to the Point of Interruption???

#2...Team A steps in front of a pass and has a break away layup. Team B fouls hard from behind. Team A's player is down and coach is beakoned onto floor. Before team A's coach can get to the player, she hops up and get to free throw line. One official says that she can stay in the game and shoot. Another says she can't, must be replaced. Team A's coach replaces the injured player and immediately sends the injured (not really) player back to scorers table to check in. Second FT is made, horn sounds, one official beakons player in, another says no....he says time must run off clock before re-entering. Team A calls time-out. They still can't agree. Even after time-out player isn't permitted to enter. Is this correct?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1224hoops
First, I'm a coach. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the rules. I coach V-girls. Two situations occurred in our last game, neither I'm sure about. Using NFHS rules (VHSL) are these correct???

#1...Team A has possession of the basketball. The coach from Team A receives a "T." The two free throws are administered and possession is given to team B. Is this correct or is it suppose to return to the Point of Interruption???

#2...Team A steps in front of a pass and has a break away layup. Team B fouls hard from behind. Team A's player is down and coach is beakoned onto floor. Before team A's coach can get to the player, she hops up and get to free throw line. One official says that she can stay in the game and shoot. Another says she can't, must be replaced. Team A's coach replaces the injured player and immediately sends the injured (not really) player back to scorers table to check in. Second FT is made, horn sounds, one official beakons player in, another says no....he says time must run off clock before re-entering. Team A calls time-out. They still can't agree. Even after time-out player isn't permitted to enter. Is this correct?
1. Yes. POI on single techs is only for NCAA games.

2. The official who made the player sub out, and then remain out BOTH times is correct. (3-3-5, 3-3-4)
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

#1 was correct. In NFHS a technical foul is penalized with two FTs and the ball at the division line for the opponents. The only exception to this is a double technical, in which case there are no FTs and the ball is administered at the POI.

#2 was also handled correctly. Once a coach is beckoned, the player must leave the game. Also, any player who leaves the game may not return until the clock has started, so she was not able to enter the game even after the TO.
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 09:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate1224hoops
#2... Even after time-out player isn't permitted to enter. Is this correct?
As others have said, it was correct. However, if Team A had taken the time-out immediately -- before subbing for A1 -- then A1 would have been allowed to stay in the game and shoot the free throws. Once she is subbed out, though, she must wait until the clock is properly started before re-entering the game.