The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:49am
Ch1town

How would you handle it?

Boys C level game tied at 48 in the 4th with under a minute to go.

A held ball, arrow points to Team B, Coach of Team B gets whacked before the ball is at their disposal (almost immediately after the jump ball signal).

We awarded Team A 2 FTs & the ball at the division line opposite the table. The arrow stayed with Team B since they never began the AP throw-in.

Charged it directly to the coach & team fouls plus he had to sit. There was another held ball before the end of the 4th quarter. Game went into overtime, (after B3 misses both FTs with 2.1 seconds in the 4th) coach continues to sit & they lose by 1.

Did we handle this correctly?
Would you fill out out a report to file at this lower level?
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town

A held ball, arrow points to Team B, Coach of Team B gets whacked before the ball is at their disposal (almost immediately after the jump ball signal).

We awarded Team A 2 FTs & the ball at the division line opposite the table. The arrow stayed with Team B since they never began the AP throw-in.

Charged it directly to the coach & team fouls plus he had to sit. There was another held ball before the end of the 4th quarter. Game went into overtime, (after B3 misses both FTs with 2.1 seconds in the 4th) coach continues to sit & they lose by 1.

I want to guess.. so I'm not looking it up, but I believe you handled it correctly. Team B should still have the pos arrow because the AP never happened.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes, you handled it correctly. Even if B had started their throwin, they still would have kept the arrow.

As for the report, I would. CHSAA wants a report for all Ts at the high school level. Make sure you have the coach's name, though, per the email we received from CHSAA this week.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 01:43pm
Ch1town

Thanks Snaqwells, just got off the phone with the assignor & they gave me the green light. Then I had to explain the situation to the AD in order to get the coaches full name. The report is now in!

My first whack of the season comes in my first Freshman game which was also my first OT of the season... ironic huh?
When will I learn to stop filling in the blanks on my schedule with "lower level" games??
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Please - don't EVER stop filling in your schedule with lower level games. Work with younger officials, work on new mechanics, help educate young players, and have fun doing it.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 02:06pm
Ch1town

You're absolutely correct, but maybe no lower than JV!
I'm just saying...
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 02:26pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

Yup - handled correctly.

As for filling out a report, do so if your area requires it. I don't see why a report is necessary for a T though.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 02:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Yup - handled correctly.

As for filling out a report, do so if your area requires it. I don't see why a report is necessary for a T though.
This is a Colorado thing. CHSAA requires us to complete a report for all direct Ts at the high school level.

Furthermore, we can't report just as "#10 from Central HS JV" or "assistant coach for Rifle Varsity." We received an email from CHSAA indicating all reports need to include the name of the offender. It's a bit of a burden, but not enough to affect whether I ring up a coach or player.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

This is a requirement at the college levels, and is now being cascaded to HS. For college officials, supervisors want to know when T's are given and the circumstances so they can answer questions or complaints, and use it for feedback and accountability. If you give an unwarranted T to a coach at the college level, you are reprimanded or penalized. On the flip side, college supervisors address coaches with chronic behavior issues with the schools and leagues. It is a big benefit.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2007, 03:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

No - you didn't handle it correctly. The game went into overtime, didn't it?
Old Thu Dec 13, 2007, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
No - you didn't handle it correctly. The game went into overtime, didn't it?
i like your thinkin!