The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   box rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/4028-box-rule.html)

John Schaefferkoetter Wed Feb 06, 2002 03:11pm

In Missouri, we have the coaches 6' box rule, which the coach must stay seated, unless he/she wants to call a timeout, attend an injured player, etc., but very few coaches honor the rule, and most officials do not apply the rule. I can understand if a coach stands and coaches his team, but if he stands and whines, the rule must be applied. Does this same situation reflect in other states?

Mark Dexter Wed Feb 06, 2002 03:27pm

If you have the coaching (making DeNucci proud) box rule, then the head coach is allowed to stand within the 6' confines (in other states, the coach is often given a bit of leeway outside of the 6').

However, if your state has not adopted the coaching box, then I would definately give him/her a T whenever he stood up to coach for an extended period of time.

mlancast Wed Feb 06, 2002 03:29pm

What's the point of a coaching box if the coach is required to stayed seated????

Bart Tyson Wed Feb 06, 2002 03:32pm

Mark, does the coaching box rule say anything about "coaching extended period of time"?

Mark Padgett Wed Feb 06, 2002 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by John Schaefferkoetter
unless he/she wants to call a timeout,
Does your state really allow coaches to call timeouts? Do you allow them to call fouls and violations, too?

How about making me proud and remember that head coaches may only request timeouts?

Thanks. :)

Hawks Coach Wed Feb 06, 2002 04:16pm

We call timeouts, as well as traveling, three seconds, over the back, and reaching in. Unfortunately, those guys in striped shirts only recognize our timeout calls.

John Schaefferkoetter Wed Feb 06, 2002 04:17pm

Mark:

Are you an English major? Sorry for my mis-communication, but I think you understood what I meant.

williebfree Wed Feb 06, 2002 04:47pm

Welcome aboard John

Quote:

Mark:

Are you an English major? Sorry for my mis-communication, but I think you understood what I meant.

Do not get discouraged by a little "redirection". We have some anal retentive personalities :o on this forum that like to keep everyone communicating clearly. I have learned from all of them.

In fact, some are as old as dinosaurs :D Right, Raptor breath!

BTW, Their bark is worse than their bite. :D

Jurassic Referee Wed Feb 06, 2002 05:17pm

Re: Welcome aboard John

Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree
In fact, some are as old as dinosaurs :D Right, Raptor breath!

:D [/B]
Ah,so many shoes,so little puke!It's a tough job,but somebody's gotta do it!
Keep an eye out,Willie.:D

BktBallRef Wed Feb 06, 2002 05:44pm

Let's all stare at willie's pants. :D

John, don't take offense to Mark. There are certain thins that we have fun sensitivity with, such as "over the back," "reachin' in," and coaches "calling "time-out. None of these things are found in the rule book.

Now, getting back to your origianl post.

In NC, we use the 14' coaching box. The coach has the privilege of standing in it during the game. If he receives a T or gets an indirect T, then the box is lost, fogotten, swept away, and no longer exists! :)

John Schaefferkoetter Wed Feb 06, 2002 06:04pm

Quote:

In Missouri, we have the coaches 6' box rule, which the coach must stay seated, unless he/she wants to call a timeout, attend an injured player, etc., but very few coaches honor the rule, and most officials do not apply the rule. I can understand if a coach stands and coaches his team, but if he stands and whines, the rule must be applied. Does this same situation reflect in other states?
"Take care of business"!

Mark Dexter Wed Feb 06, 2002 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Mark, does the coaching box rule say anything about "coaching extended period of time"?
Sorry, I slightly misread the rules.

In non-coaching box states, the coach is not allowed to stand to shout an instruction, unless it is instructing the players to request a timeout.

Jeremy Hohn Wed Feb 06, 2002 07:01pm

Well, in TX......

We sometimes get to lenient and give them a college box, but it depends on what they are doing. I sometimes tell the coaches, I'll be generous on the size of your coaching box, but when it turns into a WHINING box, it's gonna shrink fast... ;)