The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Got my tests back... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/40252-got-my-tests-back.html)

NM_Ref Tue Dec 11, 2007 02:43am

Got my tests back...

got a 97 on both mechanics and rules...had a couple questions for everyone.

Rules:
#31 When the ball is bounced to the free thrower, it is at his or her disposal when released by the official. - I put True and cited Casebook 8.1.1. Sit A, Ruling: ...the word "disposal," is interpreted to mean that the official shall bounce the ball to the free thrower...

I am guessing that the word that makes it false is "released?"

Mechanics:
#91 If a coach enters the court because of an injured player, the team is either charged with a time-out or the player must be removed - I put True because we don't "charge" the team a time-out...he may request it. Am I overthinking this question?

#94 If an apparently injured player is ready to resume play within a few seconds, he/she may remain in the game even if bench personnel has been beckoned onto the court. - I answered False. If bench personnel comes on or is beckoned onto the court, the player must be removed from the game until at least next dead ball. How is it true?

Thoughts? Help?

Nevadaref Tue Dec 11, 2007 03:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NM_Ref
got a 97 on both mechanics and rules...had a couple questions for everyone.

Rules:
#31 When the ball is bounced to the free thrower, it is at his or her disposal when released by the official. - I put True and cited Casebook 8.1.1. Sit A, Ruling: ...the word "disposal," is interpreted to mean that the official shall bounce the ball to the free thrower...

I am guessing that the word that makes it false is "released?"
4-4-7b
ART. 7 . . . A ball is at the disposal of a player when it is:
a. ...

b. Caught by a player after it is bounced to him/her.

Mechanics:
#91 If a coach enters the court because of an injured player, the team is either charged with a time-out or the player must be removed - I put True because we don't "charge" the team a time-out...he may request it. Am I overthinking this question?
TRUE ... 3-3-5 Did you mean that you put false?

#94 If an apparently injured player is ready to resume play within a few seconds, he/she may remain in the game even if bench personnel has been beckoned onto the court. - I answered False. If bench personnel comes on or is beckoned onto the court, the player must be removed from the game until at least next dead ball. How is it true?
:confused: 3.3.5 Sit B
The final sentence notes that the team may take a time-out and keep the player in, but I doubt that is what the question is after.

<IN blue>

NM_Ref Tue Dec 11, 2007 03:54am

nah...question 91 i did put true...thought maybe the "grader" got it wrong...

Nevadaref Tue Dec 11, 2007 04:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NM_Ref
- I put True because we don't "charge" the team a time-out...he may request it.

To me that sounds like you are trying to justify a false answer. I'm not following your reasoning. I guess we must be on different wavelengths.

Anyway, I have the question as true becaue the team is "charged" with a time-out after it is requested. See 5-11 for that language.

BktBallRef Tue Dec 11, 2007 08:58am

If an apparently injured player is ready to resume play within a few seconds, he/she may remain in the game even if bench personnel has been beckoned onto the court.

That's lousy wording.

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If an apparently injured player is ready to resume play within a few seconds, he/she may remain in the game even if bench personnel has been beckoned onto the court.

That's lousy wording.

Not trying to be a wise-guy, but why is it lousy wording? It seems very obviously false to me. Once a trainer or coach has been beckoned, the kid has to be subbed out. . . ok, unless a time-out is requested. Then he can stay in, even if the trainer was beckoned.

Man, that's lousy wording.

Scooby Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:11am

The trainer could be beckoned and then the kid jumps up and says he's fine and the trainer never got out of his seat.
It is lousy wording.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby
The trainer could be beckoned and then the kid jumps up and says he's fine and the trainer never got out of his seat.
It is lousy wording.

That's lousy understanding of the rule.

"A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or any other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be..."

3.3.5 SITUATION B: A1 appears to be injured and an official properly halts play and the Team A coach rushes onto the court to check A1. However, A1 is OK and seems ready to play within a few seconds. RULING: A1 must be removed as the coach came onto the court. A1 may remain in the game if the coach does not come on the court and A1 is ready to play immediately. If the coach or other bench personnel have come onto the court, the player must be replaced. There is no set amount of time as to what is “immediately,” but it should not involve more than a few seconds and it must be without the coach, trainer or doctor being beckoned and/or entering the court. The coach may also call a time-out to keep the player in the game. (10-4-2)

BillyMac Tue Dec 11, 2007 07:14pm

Devil's Advocate

What if, after the official blows his, or her, whistle to stop the game, to check on a possibly injured player, the player, A-1, Team A's star player, with only 10 seconds to go in a one-point game, with Team A having used all of their time outs, is not seriously injured, is ready to play in a few seconds, the official doesn't beckon anyone onto the court, and the only trainer in the gym, the Team B trainer, out of concern for the health of A-1, comes onto the court to administer to A-1?

Nevadaref Tue Dec 11, 2007 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac
What if, after the official blows his, or her, whistle to stop the game, to check on a possibly injured player, the player, A-1, Team A's star player, with only 10 seconds to go in a one-point game, with Team A having used all of their time outs, is not seriously injured, is ready to play in a few seconds, the official doesn't beckon anyone onto the court, and the only trainer in the gym, the Team B trainer, out of concern for the health of A-1, comes onto the court to administer to A-1?

3-3-5 "...the coach or any other bench personnel..."

Do you believe that the Team B trainer is part of the bench personnel for Team A? ;)