The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
Inadvertent Horn

GJV tourney. I get there to watch the game before mine. There are shot clock horn issues occurring from time to time. The horn would just go off by itself. So before my games we tell coaches to have the kids play to the whistle. everybody nods their heads and away we go. We explain it to everybody and did everything except put an ad on Craigslist.

Horn goes off. All the players standing around. Offensive team holding the ball just outside the key down low. Partner and I just stand there . Finally coach yells "shoot". She does , scores,and we move on, except the other coach is now a good 10 feet on the court screaming, some coach jibberish. So we stop ,shoot the 2 FT for the T. Ball at division line.

The coach believed we should have done something-she wasn't sure what but something.

I think we handled the horn issue as right as could be but i am open to other suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 08:20am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Oregon, OH
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
GJV tourney. I get there to watch the game before mine. There are shot clock horn issues occurring from time to time. The horn would just go off by itself. So before my games we tell coaches to have the kids play to the whistle. everybody nods their heads and away we go. We explain it to everybody and did everything except put an ad on Craigslist.

Horn goes off. All the players standing around. Offensive team holding the ball just outside the key down low. Partner and I just stand there . Finally coach yells "shoot". She does , scores,and we move on, except the other coach is now a good 10 feet on the court screaming, some coach jibberish. So we stop ,shoot the 2 FT for the T. Ball at division line.

The coach believed we should have done something-she wasn't sure what but something.

I think we handled the horn issue as right as could be but i am open to other suggestions.
My 2 cents is since every one was stopped by the horn anyway re-explain the issue as some probably didn't understand it in the first place give the ball OOB nearest the spot to offense and play on.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 09:13am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOFFICIAL
My 2 cents is since every one was stopped by the horn anyway re-explain the issue as some probably didn't understand it in the first place give the ball OOB nearest the spot to offense and play on.
I think you handled it well. If you stopped to explain once you will be expected to do it everytime. The problem was already discussed pregame and from the OP it was discissed to the extreme so I say play on. Reminds me of when my partner gave a warning to a player camped in the lane to move out. Then he called three seconds on the next player at the other end. The coach was upset saying that if one kid gets a warning why not all. I'm just saying if you would have stopped to explain that time what would have happened if the horn went off on a fast break? The opposing coach would have had a legit beef if his players just stopped.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It depends on the level of play. GJV is borderline in my book. Schools are big, varsity teams go to state every year, some players get scholarships, that kind of thing, well it's just too bad for the players that stopped. Small schools where there isn't even a freshman team, kids never played before, their instincts aren't as well developed. Then you do stop, but remind them to play to the whistle next time, Then next time if they pause, use one hand to make a wheeling motion in the air, and say, "play on! play on!"

Also, before the game, you might have the horn sound a couple of times during warm-ups reminding the players to ignore it.

But, wait, did you say shot clock horn? Shot clock in a JV game? that's tough.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Then next time if they pause, use one hand to make a wheeling motion in the air, and say, "play on! play on!"

...

But, wait, did you say shot clock horn? Shot clock in a JV game? that's tough.
Yeah, he's in CA. They use a shot clock at all levels. Thus your first line of advice would be really poor as that mechanic is way too similar to the one used for resetting the shot clock.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:25am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,158
Hey Nevada. i watched the two Reno guys in action the other night. Game was a 40 point blow out but they put in a very competent and hard working night in.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 9,466
Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Yeah, he's in CA. They use a shot clock at all levels. Thus your first line of advice would be really poor as that mechanic is way too similar to the one used for resetting the shot clock.
Ooo, hadn't thought of that. Is there a mechanic that would work better?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Around the Horn Coach P Softball 2 Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:31am
air horn tmuckel Volleyball 2 Tue Oct 16, 2007 09:32am
Inadvertent Horn/Never like this before jreggied Basketball 5 Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:31am
First Horn DJ Basketball 7 Fri Jan 09, 2004 04:52pm
Inadvertent horn :( BigDave Basketball 14 Tue Feb 11, 2003 01:42pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1